Lifeboat Called To Ranworth Yesterday

HemsbyPie

From their Facebook page:

Tuesday 14th June 2016

HEMSBY BROADS LIFEBOAT - callout

Paged by Humber Coastguard at 19:38hrs to recover a 78 year old casualty with an exposed broken ankle. Hemsby Broads Lifeboat transported Ambulance crew and Coastguard to the cruiser berthed at a mooring point in the middle of Malthouse Broad. The Ambulance crew set the injury into a splint an made the casualty comfortable and the Hemsby crew helmed the cruiser back to Ranworth to a waiting Ambulance, where the casualty was transferred and taken to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.

Also in attendance: Winterton Coastguard CRT and the East of England Ambulance Service.

Hemsby Broads Lifeboat returned to station and were back on service at 22:30hrs

Don’t forget you can follow us on 
Twitter @Hemsby_Lifeboat

image.jpeg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Boaters said:

Hope the casualty is OK,Hemsby do a brilliant job and one wonders how we would fare without them on the Broads ? .A really nice bunch of lads and I hope they get all the support they deserve :Stinky 

Whilst supporting the lifeboat, in this case they would have done what they did before, hijacked the nearest available boat to get a lift to the casualty. Then driven the boat back themselves, it's not hard, the tourists do it.... probably quicker than waiting for the lifeboat to be trailed round from Hemsby. 

I personally have helped the police with their enquires, when they turned up a Horning sailing club and needed a lift down the river..

• Like 1

It's a difficult one this. I can be an old codger and say "It wasn't like that in my day".

We just used to phone the nearest boatyard and they sent their towboat out. But we haven't got any boatyards any more, have we? (here he goes again!)

We always got by, somehow, but it was a bit ramshackle, looking back.

We now have a special, well equipped rescue service of dedicated volunteers and all praise to them. It is nice to know they are there.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Whilst supporting the lifeboat, in this case they would have done what they did before, hijacked the nearest available boat to get a lift to the casualty. Then driven the boat back themselves, it's not hard, the tourists do it.... probably quicker than waiting for the lifeboat to be trailed round from Hemsby. 

I personally have helped the police with their enquires, when they turned up a Horning sailing club and needed a lift down the river..

Im not too sure who “they” are, but just for reference, The Lifeboat was on scene and in the water ready when the paramedics arrived, so there was no waiting about & it would have made no difference in time for the lady receiving medical attention.

It is always best to let the professionals deal with a casualty of this age with this sort of fairly serious open wound. Good intention is fine to a point, but if it was my mum on that boat and it was a choice of “Mike & Bob from the boat next door” or a declared lifeboat facility, I know which I would choose.

• Like 16

"They" would be the ambulance crew, these days paramedics. In no way was I suggesting non professionals actually deal with the casualty.

A volunteer lifeboat crew who have  to respond to a call out, get the boat  and tow  from Hemsby. Gets there before a professional paramedic crew from either Potter Heigham or The Norfolk and Norwich.

It does point out the Problems the Anglian Ambulance Service ( I'm not blaming the crews) have in meeting their response times in Norfolk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm sorry but this post implies that 'they' are the lifeboat crew, not the ambulance/paramedics

1 hour ago, Labrador said:
13 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'm sorry but this post implies that 'they' are the lifeboat crew, not the ambulance/paramedics

Since I  was talking about before life boat crews used to be called, how would lifeboat crew have been there to hijack a available boat?

13 hours ago, TheQ said:

A little example of how we did it in those days.

Roger, the village policeman, turned up at my yard in his grey Minivan. Ludham still had a police house then, and I was Roger's special constable. He had had a call from North Walsham that someone on a passing boat had phoned from Thurne Lion to say they had seen someone in trouble on the river near Womack. We set off in my yard launch and found an elderly couple in a hire boat, who had been trying to moor at Cold Harbour Farm, when he fell on the bank and broke his leg. We found him sitting in the reeds, facing north, with one leg in the river and the other one facing east. He seemed otherwise unconcerned!

I left Roger to look after them (and moor the boat) while I went back to the staithe to meet the ambulance, who were accompanied by "Doctor Bob" from Ludham surgery. They stretchered him up and we carried him back on the launch, while Roger brought his wife and the boat back to my yard.

We ran her in to visit him at Northgate hospital that evening, and the next day their "own" boatyard took over. They drove the boat back to their base with her, and made special arrangements so that they could get home at the end of their hire. They also ran her to Yarmouth for hospital visits. All of this, naturally, was at no charge to the customer.

This was long before mobile phones and the only police radio was in Roger's van, which didn't get a "signal" in Ludham anyway! This sort of thing happened all the time, but it almost never got into the local paper. The river inspector, by the way, was at the other end of his patch when he got the call, and so only got there just after we had finished.

So I suppose we didn't do badly, in the circumstances, but things are different now. There are no more village policemen (or specials) and the ambulance service are stretched to beyond their limits. And there are no more local boatyards either.

So I "raise my glass" to the Hemsby Lifeboat service!

• Like 7

By all accounts 17 rescue people attended. The lifeboat crew, two ambulances, and I believe a fire crew, but not sure about the latter.

Over reaction or what!

What I do know is that with regard to a broken ankle a loss of pulse to the foot, in a very short period of time, can lead to a serious problem. Amputation. We are talking not hours but minutes.

I for one would be for ever grateful for the services of a professional response without having to rely on the possibility of a suitable craft being available bearing in mind that it is a challenge for some to get on board a moored modern motor cruiser.

May I ask Hemsbypie a question ?

Over the last few weeks, days, we hear of your contribution to the safety of those on the Broads. I, amongst many others are aware of the contribution of the RNLI. I am however mindful of the contribution of the Caistor boat which is not supported by the RNLI. I believe that the Hemsby boat falls into the same category.

I do not wish to detract from wonderful work of the RNLI, but I do have an enormous admiration for Caistor and Hemsby.

With regard to the Hemsby boat. Hemsbypie. We seem to rely on you guys, time and time again. You have become an integral part of of the safety of those who enjoy our rivers.

Please tell us more as to how you respond so quickly and efficiently. For example how you transport the rib, what area's do you cover, where do you launch, where can you launch.

And how do you fund that which seems to me to be a very important contribution to our safety and well-being on the Broads.

Andrew.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Wussername said:

By all accounts 17 rescue people attended. The lifeboat crew, two ambulances, and I believe a fire crew, but not sure about the latter.

Over reaction or what! 

We had 5 crew (3 boat crew, a driver and drivers assistant). Coastguard's had a team of 4 and then 2 paramedics (so that's 11 in total). No fire teams. Also one of our crew was an Emergency Medical Technician and one of the Coastguard's is a Paramedic, so we all compliment each other fairly well.

with regards to your other kind comments, I will put something together shortly :Sailing

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Wussername said:

Over reaction or what!

Hmmm, yes! Hanged if they do... Hanged if they don't !!!

If too few attended to address the problem effectivly they would get hung out to dry, yet when they send too many they get comments about "over reacting". The real killer on this one is that if they sent out exactly the right number of people, with exactly the right equipment and all the exactly appropriate skill set, nobody would say a damned thing!

Here are some things we DON'T know about this shout.

How clear was the mobile signal from the original request for assistance?

How clearly did the caller describe the problem?

How did the receiver of that call assess the competance level of the person making that call? and so on and so on.

Don't get me wrong Wussername, this isn't meant as a pop at you, it's just not the first time recently I've read the observation describing "overkill" or "excessive response" and I felt I had to say something. The above is something, and blow me down, I've said it!

• Like 4

http://hemsbyinshorerescue.org.uk/

Comments have been made in regard to previous incidents about over reaction. In hindsight this has clearly been true and I do sometimes wonder at the training and local knowledge of those taking the calls. However, better too many rather than too few.

Caister lifeboat also has a boat at Beccles, the Broads is very well covered!.

Well done as always.

I think everyone would prefer that lifeboat services were covered by the local authority although considering these local authorities can't even empty rubbish bins we got no chance! So massive thanks to the volunteer crews who are clearly doing a brilliant job. It certainly sounds like the best people are here doing the job so that's a big plus knowing that the broads are well covered.

I don't think it's overly fair to knock any of our emergency services, it's certainly far better to have more people and specially trained people than the opposite... I'm sure it won't be long until we have limited services or are fully dependant on volunteers.. :( 

• Like 10

What an absolutely amazing job you guys do :clap It doesn't really matter how many were in attendance, I should imagine that lady and her family were extremely grateful for the care and attention she received. A rescuer who thinks along the lines of "if it was my mum on that boat" can rescue me any day of the week. Clearly an honest and caring bunch of guys, well done from me

Grace

p.s For you, Charlie ;)

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Wussername said:

May I ask Hemsbypie a question ?

Over the last few weeks, days, we hear of your contribution to the safety of those on the Broads. I, amongst many others are aware of the contribution of the RNLI. I am however mindful of the contribution of the Caistor boat which is not supported by the RNLI. I believe that the Hemsby boat falls into the same category.

This is correct, Caister is our south flanking lifeboat station and Sea Palling our northern flanking station; they are both independent. Caister’s set-up is fairly impressive and the Bernard Matthews is a stupidly fast boat (speaking from experience) Sea Palling and Hemsby have relatively modest set-ups in comparison, although Hemsby is the only station which also runs a Broads Lifeboat as well as covering their stretch of the North Sea.

I do not wish to detract from wonderful work of the RNLI, but I do have an enormous admiration for Caistor and Hemsby.

RNLI are a well-oiled machine, their kit and training is superb. All declared lifeboat stations (RNLI & Independent) are regularly audited by HM Coastguard to check for operational readiness, training, equipment suitability & maintenance. Independents have to reach the same high standards as the RNLI (with a fraction of the budget) or they risk having their declared status removed.

Please tell us more as to how you respond so quickly and efficiently. For example how you transport the rib, what area's do you cover, where do you launch, where can you launch.

We have 2 boats – an ILB for sea and a 16 foot Sea-strike for the Broads. Crew are trained/qualified for both boats. The Broads boat is trailered to the launch point nearest to the incident. We can launch anywhere there is a river bank but prefer to use slip-ways for obvious reasons. We cover the whole of the Norfolk broads (including Norwich) but our main stomping grounds are the North Broads.

The key to getting a fast response on the Broads is asking for Coastguard when you dial 999. They have jurisdiction on the Norfolk Broads for search & rescue operations, and will deploy assets they deep appropriate (Ambulance, Lifeboat, Helicopter etc).

And how do you fund that which seems to me to be a very important contribution to our safety and well-being on the Broads.

We are 100% self-funded, so no government grants or hand-outs. The crew carries out 90% of the fund raising through collections & raffles at weekends, events such as the maritime festival and obviously our annual lifeboat day and herring festival. Annual running costs are around £30k a year. On top of that the replacement of boat/vehicles, for example our new Broads Lifeboat/vehicle cost us £54k at the beginning of last year with an expected life expectancy of 6-7 years and we are looking at replacing our ILB & launch vehicle next year at a cost of about £120k.

On top of that we are also looking at a £400k redevelopment of our station in the next 2 years (although we are applying for a grant to help with that)

answers are in red, hope it all makes sense :) My comments & opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the service...

• Like 9

Most grateful for the service you provide.

I know that if we were in the position to require assistance (mum is 85 and still loves her 2 boating holidays each year) and you guys turned up it would certainly be one less thing to worry about.

Thank you from me on behalf of everyone you have helped (and will help in the future)

cheersbar

• Like 6

Thank you HemsbyPie for replying so quickly. It is comforting to know that we have such a wealth of experience available from such dedicated people.

The logistics involved in bringing all the resources together in such a short period of time is quite amazing when one considers the remote locations which they are often called to attend. 

As for over reaction to my mind it does not exist. You only have one chance of getting it right. So much easier to stand a team down if not required than wishing after the event that a life could have been saved if all assets were available.

Andrew

• Like 4