Status Of Footpath Along Fleet Dyke

Baggywrinkle

I have heard that the footpath running north from S Walsham Broad along Fleet Dyke is to be closed temporarily, but can't find any details via Google and as I live 300 miles away can't easily verify for myself. I will be visiting in a few weeks' time and would like to know if I will be able to walk from the moorings at the "elbow" to the Ship Inn.

Does anyone have any information?

Many thanks.

Bruce

• Like 1

There is a very full and informative thread on this subject over on the dark side called "A motorway for fleet dyke" I am unable to post a link as using an iphone (not mine)

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

In most incidences the flood prevention scheme has resulted in some very good footpaths, I'm sure the Fleetdyke path will be no different, when it's finished. There are now several long distance walks on the Broads.

Agreed JM, however, once again that horrible,deck damaging loose stone chipping is being used to surface it . WHY!!!!????

I have explained my mistake in the "Other Place" I was merely trying to find an alternative and the Larson cartoon animals so popular as books and cards in the 90s came to mind.

It was only this morning that I remembered that it was not called the Dark Side but the "Far Side".

Unfortunately it would appear that the stretch from the end of the moorings to the start of the road, past Bondon's Basin will not be getting this treatment. 

That horrible, muddy, dog poo infested hundred yards is precisely where it is needed.  Especially for us winter cruisers.

On 16 June 2016 at 4:33 PM, Baggywrinkle said:

I have heard that the footpath running north from S Walsham Broad along Fleet Dyke is to be closed temporarily, but can't find any details via Google and as I live 300 miles away can't easily verify for myself. I will be visiting in a few weeks' time and would like to know if I will be able to walk from the moorings at the "elbow" to the Ship Inn.

Does anyone have any information?

Many thanks.

Bruce

Welcome to the forum Bruce

Andy

Chris,we moor in Bondons and that stretch from the end of the concrete road to the bank side has been bad for a long time.One of the reasons stated for  the work was to make it more accessible for those with mobility problems,hardly any use if that part is not done as there is a puddle the full width of the lane and potholes  to transverse when it rains  before you get to the bank side path hardly any help to those who want to get to,the   village or Farehaven.  :naughty:

• Like 2

Reading this thread makes me realise how out of date I am on Broads current affairs.

I thought "Flood banks, on Fleet Dyke? What do they want them for?" so I googled a satellite photo of the area and all is revealed!

The deep-dyke digging for the exploitation of marshland to grow arable crops is now a huge swathe of land going from Fleet Dyke right across to Thurne mouth and right down the Bure beyond Upton Dyke. I remember all this land when it was like Halvergate marshes. Drained water meadow dotted with a few field gates and herds of dairy cattle. One of the nicest parts of the northern Broads. It was still like that in the late 70s.

I trust that the agricultural sector are the ones paying for this otherwise un-necessary flood protection and that the BA can somehow justify it, in line with their conservationist visions of a "National Park"?

• Like 1

Virtually all of the land between Fleet Dyke and Thurne Mouth is still grazing. I must admit however it does look as though it is under the plough on google earth due to the regularity of the numerous drains.

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Reading this thread makes me realise how out of date I am on Broads current affairs.

I thought "Flood banks, on Fleet Dyke? What do they want them for?" so I googled a satellite photo of the area and all is revealed!

The deep-dyke digging for the exploitation of marshland to grow arable crops is now a huge swathe of land going from Fleet Dyke right across to Thurne mouth and right down the Bure beyond Upton Dyke. I remember all this land when it was like Halvergate marshes. Drained water meadow dotted with a few field gates and herds of dairy cattle. One of the nicest parts of the northern Broads. It was still like that in the late 70s.

I trust that the agricultural sector are the ones paying for this otherwise un-necessary flood protection and that the BA can somehow justify it, in line with their conservationist visions of a "National Park"?

Vaughan,It hasn't been like that for a number of years now . The Norfolk Wildlife Trust purchased the land some years ago, and it's now managed for conservation. It's once again as you remember it, I'm glad to say!  More here http://www.wren.org.uk/projects/nwt-upton-broad-and-marshes-nature-reserve

On 17/06/2016 at 7:14 PM, ChrisB said:

Unfortunately it would appear that the stretch from the end of the moorings to the start of the road, past Bondon's Basin will not be getting this treatment. 

That horrible, muddy, dog poo infested hundred yards is precisely where it is needed.  Especially for us winter cruisers.

Looks like we'll have to buy some fashionable wellies then.

The Wench

We used to walk down Fleet Dyke when they had dredged it, in the eighties shot gun in hand.

We had quite a collection of clay pipes and various bottles out of the mud. Great rough shooting on the

marsh ( we had the farmers permission) and only fired away from the river.

Some of the marsh is still shot over. It tends to shoot well at the beginning of the season in Sept and October according to one of the guns I talked to.

Inland wildfowling traditionally stopped early because the open water would freeze up but that does not happen anymore much.

Rockland is shot over from boats and RWA also own some of the marsh.

There are some pictures in the gallery that some my find of interest, but Fowling is alive and well in Norfolk.

www.norwichanddistrictwildfowlers.co.uk

www.wildfowling.com

18 hours ago, Poppy said:

Vaughan,It hasn't been like that for a number of years now . The Norfolk Wildlife Trust purchased the land some years ago, and it's now managed for conservation. It's once again as you remember it, I'm glad to say! 

Thanks very much for that Poppy, and I am delighted to hear it!

It looks as though it's time I took a holiday on the north rivers again, doesn't it??

It does occur to me though, that if it is now returned to grazing marshes and wildlife conservation, what a pity they dug it all up in the first place!

I didn't know anyone on the rivers who agreed with that scheme, when it first started.

• Like 1