Outside

Crikey, it was like 'The Day of the Dead' on here yesterday and today there's posts going out all over the place, calm down peeps, I can't keep up lol

I was practically raised in the great outdoors, fishing, camping, boating, caravanning (slept in the awning) and trying to do the same with my own kids, real family memories can be made with these activities, not with games consoles and computers etc (as she types away on her lappy lol) You just can't beat sitting outside of the tent or on the deck of a boat, letting the kids stay up late to see the stars and telling ghost stories, bliss

Grace

• Like 7

Hi Grace,

Family time is so important and I'm lucky that I have 2 teenage girls who absolutely love going on the boat for a week. They actually show me how to unwind and "go with the flow''. Bonding is what it is all about, because that lasts for your life time.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Crikey, it was like 'The Day of the Dead' on here yesterday and today there's posts going out all over the place, calm down peeps, I can't keep up lol

Your lucky Grace, us poor down trodden Mods have to read the Team threads also !:naughty: 

cheersIain

• Like 3

I am not sure how I survived with falling out of trees, falling off my push bike, falling in lakes etc but I did and am a lot more careful now :bow:bow OK I cant climb trees, the cycling is a lot slower and I am a lot more careful near lakes!!! I also don't believe my mates when they tell me "that plank is safe is tread on":dance

I don't actually remember being indoors? Now is that a memory thing?:facepalm:

• Like 3

when I was not at school, or reading a book, I was in my shed, we did eventually get a TV, but I was in my late teens by then - it was actually given to me by my cousins after I painted several sets of airfix figures for them.

Ah early teens, got my first job in a certain quayside store in Wells next the Sea. Saved my pittance and eventually purchased a sheet of 8 x 4 exterior ply and a couple of lengths of 2 x 1 pine. This was lovingly converted into an extremely dodgy pram dinghy, a mast was adapted from an aluminium tv pole, a bed sheet lugsail and bamboo spars completed the rig, the hull leaked like a seive, the rudder was a complete disaster and was dispensed with but it sailed me around Wells harbour quite successfully by judicious trimming of the sails and the daggerboard, and continuous bailing :facepalm:and I used to bring home a good bucketfull of cockles most weekends, happy days, and then I went to sea :facepalm:

cheers

Ray

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

I am not sure how I survived with falling out of trees, falling off my push bike, falling in lakes etc but I did and am a lot more careful now :bow:bow OK I cant climb trees, the cycling is a lot slower and I am a lot more careful near lakes!!! I also don't believe my mates when they tell me "that plank is safe is tread on":dance

I don't actually remember being indoors? Now is that a memory thing?:facepalm:

No not a memory thing....you were probably asleep after all the outside air.......

• Like 2

After my first broads trip as a youngster, my parents bought me a model yacht, it had a deep keel, so needed about 4" of water.

Our local brook was very shallow, so a friend and I set about damming the brook with bricks we found in the bed. we got our depth, but the area was the size of a bathtub, so we set about finding more brick, then more and more, until we had our own horsey mere, it was up to our waists.

However, not all the locals were as pleased as us, as we had flooded several allotments up stream lol

Happy days lol, we spent many an hour in that brook, catching sticlebacks and minnows. Bored during our 6 week summer holidays... no not us.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I  remember  my first  mobile  it was two tins and a piece  of  string, in fact  one of my mates is upgrading  his mobile to that 

Hi Ian,

We did that and kept searching for string to make it longer. Did you make a periscope as well?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Summer days spent at my grandparents holiday cottage at Dobbs Weir Hertfordshire. River at the bottom of the garden. Swimming in the little used lock in summer and skating on it in winter. Gathering blackberries by the bucket load in the surrounding hedgerows. Nan's car invariably broke down on the way there from her home in North London, I recall one memorable occasion when the fire brigade needed to be summoned ( having been persuaded to give up her much loved Matchless motor bike aged 70 Nan bought herself a( Leeman?) Singer sport. Beautiful car, convertible, Black coachwork, red leather upholstery, wire wheels but unfortunately somewhat temperamental -a bit ;like Nan really!  Although she held a full driving licence which entitled her to drive just about anything (bought in the post office in the 1930s) she never learnt to drive in reverse and therefore when needing to make this manoeuvre Granddad was obliged to get out and push.Happy times,

Regards,

Carole

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I  remember  my first  mobile  it was two tins and a piece  of  string, in fact  one of my mates is upgrading  his mobile to that 

In fact if you add a third tin and tie the string tight to the other string, you can of course have a three way conversation, or even a four way or more.

However, the mute is a bit permanent lol...

A pair of scissors lol

• Like 1

We were never :roll: that posh,we only had two.Yes Alan I did have a Periscope and a home made go cart,which we dragged up hill the speed down hill scattering every one along the way.On the news today everyone is playing Pokey man.I bet they don't have as much fun as us old folks.

Ian:?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Viking23 said:

In fact if you add a third tin and tie the string tight to the other string, you can of course have a three way conversation, or even a four way or more.

However, the mute is a bit permanent lol...

A pair of scissors lol

Sounds more like a :party2: line

Charlie