Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Ah yes...but you were looking with your eyes. Oddly all of my relations on both sides of the family are all under 5'8", my mum just under 5'. Even my paternal great grandfather 'Big' Tim Healy who I'm named after was a little feller at 5'4", so gawd knows where my long shanks came from? But every Yorkshireman, no matter the gap between his toes and his head when he's stood up...is eight feet tall. Next time you see a Yorkshireman walk through a tall archway,through a high door, into a church or under a high bridge, you just watch, cos he will unconsciously duck to avoid hitting his head.:naughty:

• Like 4

A couple of good purchases at the boot fair this morning, a bundle of oak strips and a bundle of softwood strips for £6. plus a whole bundle of construction brass rod and tube for just £10 - bargains, 10 strips of oak strip would be more expensive than all that timber, and those brass bits are about £1 a strip for the cheapest. this has advanced the build somewhat as it saves me some timber preparation. 

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

• Like 4

well I just had to go out and increase the crew team, so another quick trip to the range, and we now have 5 new crew members. the first rib has been steamed, I gave this 8 minutes, but was a bit slow forming it round the bends, hopefully better next one. then we have a picture of the timber got this morning - now sorted, and waiting for its staking / sorting system to dry and be ready for use. (the 9 sections of cardboard tube will keep the timber from going everywhere).

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

• Like 4

well an hour is too short to let the wood set after steaming, I steamed a new rib, and the old one was still springing back straight, so I clamped that one on the model, the next one will be given a couple of hours, but I think my previous experience says it needs overnight to dry out properly. off outside to cut some more rib material.

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

• Like 4

tonights work, no pictures as its more of the same really, just another rib steamed and bent. once I have enough I will start gluing them into position. I have come to a decision to just do enough for the first model, as until they are glued in place the ribs are quite delicate, so storage would be a problem.

• Like 2

a  bit of a bum day today, first the vax steam cleaner I have been using to steam my timbers has tripped the electrics - twice - but only while the cooker is on, then two of the timbers I was bending have cracked and split, mind you I am doing the part with the tightest bends, the ribs next to the transom, maybe I will give it one more shot, but the steam cleaner is definately getting replaced with a wallpaper steamer, as then I wont need to keep my finger on the trigger.

• Like 2

Ok, after wearing out the steam cleaner, after work today (having safely found an alternate route home due to the M2 being shut) it was a quick pop into B&Q and I now have a wallpaper steamer, this doesnt rely on a finger to keep it going, and is as simple as a large kettle, so not a lot to go wrong. tried it out, it took longer to get steam up, but was a more consistent quantity of steam, 10 minutes and the rib went round the tightest former (transom) a treat. once I have at least one more transom sized rib, i can start installing from the back end.

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

• Like 6

On 9/27/2016 at 9:33 PM, ZimbiIV said:

When you steam do you spray the wood with water first? 

It always helps to get the steam get inside the wood.

A fine mist spray is what you need.

paul

No, I admit I dont, I figure the steam pretty much gets in anyway - eventually, the timber usually comes out hot damp and bendy, and I have to admit these curves are very tight, the rest should be easier.

actually, now I am using the wallpaper steamer, the wood is getting much more flexible in 10 minutes, then its out and quickly wrapped round the former, then wedges fitted to form the exact shape.

tonights work, another transom rib steamed, then the first rib put into place and glued, I really need to turn the boat so I have better access now. it needs to be stern on to work both sides - re-organisation of workspace next step, as the steamer will need relocating too.

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

• Like 3

Well my workshop is the wrong shape, its not deep enough, but hey, it just about works, and I can now get to both sides easier, the steamer will also stick out, and that is hot while running,plus of course I need to keep a space for steaming ribs around the formers.

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

• Like 4

Another rib steamed, another one fixed in place, some tidying up starting at the transom. tomorrow will be a trip into wilkinsons in town to pick up a few more 1" G clamps as they fit through smaller gaps for clamping, though some may need grinding narrower to squeeze between ribs next to bulkheads.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

• Like 5