Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I added one more rib in the next section, prior to drilling the prop shaft, this was because I had found a source of a 4mm x 300mm long wood drill bit, I have ordered this (actually it was a set of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 9 and 10mm) so I can step up through the sizes gradually, unfortunately this wont arrive t il early next week. rudders have also been ordered, finding rudders the right shape wasnt easy, as most are deeper than they are wide, and of course BA being shallow draught has a wider rudder than deep.

the insert onto the keel to give a bit more meat for the prop shaft support is under construction, as I am fitting ribs, there has to be slots in the block for them to pass through, the first has been cut ready.

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

• Like 3

surprise, - well I was this morning, as despite rejecting the offer of next day delivery with Amazon Prime, the drill bits were there when I got back from the shopping this morning.

So I got on with it, the reinforcement block was clamped into place and starting with 4mm the holes were drilled, all the way out to the 8mm of the prop shaft outer at 1mm increments. 

Here was where I noticed the problem, from the intersection where it entered the block, the drilled hole had bent off course over the length of that block, maybe 4mm off target. so choices, redo the block, or lose it altogether. well watch this space as I havent decided yet, but the prop shaft is straight laterally, and fits in there. - hmm maybe a shorter support block for the other end of the shaft, dunno, but this is one of the things I have now learnt.

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

• Like 3

now I have all the bits I can test the propellor / motor combinations, at the south model show I bought 2 motors with gearboxes, one at 2.5:1 one at 6:1 with the same motor, lets see the difference.

https://youtu.be/QW0UnMD14Hs

this is the 6:1 gearbox on the motor, its a quieter motor combination.

https://youtu.be/LavK8u4ZcxU

this is the 2.5:1 gearbox - yes its moving a lot more water but a fair bit noisier.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

I just clicked the links Grendel, they worked fine on my tablet.:)

cheersIain

in the past its embedded the video

and this

ah, copy the whole link from the top ofthe page  to embed

these are in the opposite order, faster one first - 2.5:1 reduction

today was time to change the bending former to the next bulkhead shape, I have also noticed a couple of ribs sitting proud, so am trying to pull them back with blocks and cramps, got the workforce inspecting the prop shaft hole. 2 days worth of pictures tonight.

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

• Like 4

Today was a time for more steaming and another rib in place, some remedial work was done, a few proud ribs are getting a backing piece, so I can shave them down to bring them back to level. of course these ribs would be proud right on the bend (actually its the only place they could be proud as everywhere else their position is dictated by the stringers).

To achieve this some short offcuts were warmed up in the steamer, and an offcut from when I was making the bulkheads was used as a former to bend the short pieces up, ratchet clamps were disassembled, passed through between ribs and reassembled, then quickly glued into place and reclamped.

I also found out that you really do have to wait for the steam to stop gushing out of the pipe before inserting your thumb to remove the timber, one scalded thumb later.....

still a few more short pieces to shape and insert tomorrow, any rib that needs half of its thickness or more removing will be reinforced. before the second hull is made some of the formers for the ribs may well be tweaked slightly, I will know after planking this first hull just where to tweak.

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Come on Grendel, look after your workforce, not a safety harness, hard hat or high viz jacket in sight.

The  elf & safety would have a field day:naughty:

my workforce is based around the era that BA was built - before we had such stringent H&S rules (and when we still had true craftsmen in abundance) those days when common sense worked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

my workforce is based around the era that BA was built - before we had such stringent H&S rules (and when we still had true craftsmen in abundance) those days when common sense worked.

And if you had an accident, then it was your fault for not doing it right in the first place and you gota Right Royal Bo!!oCjking.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

And if you had an accident, then it was your fault for not doing it right in the first place and you gota Right Royal Bo!!oCjking.

Oh I dished out a fair number of them !!! Did them more good than harm, that's for sure !!!!

cheersIain

more work than usual, half way to work, I got a call, my daughter was feeling unwell and needed to get to A&E, so a quick phone call to work, and the day booked off. while I was off I did my 3 month later blood test to see if I have managed to reduce my blood sugars enough to not be pre diabetic (I did lose the 1 stone in weight requested).

anyway 2 ribs fitted today, I have now completed 15" out of 40" of ribbing, another one steamed. the inserts on the proud ribs have set so these were shaved a bit to bring them to a better level, Another rib steamed, and some brass and stainless steel sheet ordered, as these will be needed to make up some parts (stainless steel for some of the deck fittings, brass to build the skeg and for the decoration on the ships wheel.)

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, grendel said:

if I have managed to reduce my blood sugars enough to not be pre diabetic (I did lose the 1 stone in weight requested).

anyway 2 ribs fitted today

I know Halloween is on the way Grendel but...steady on old chap!:shocked

• Like 1

Oh Tim, I should have expected that.

Anyway another day, another rib fixed in place, and tomorrows steamed up and drying. Slowly progressing towards the front of the boat. having got this far, I can see that when I do the next hull, just where I need to apply more care and attention to tiny details to make it just perfect. my respect for the men that built Broad Ambition grows every time I do some work and try something I have not done before.

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

• Like 5

This morning saw the correct rudders arrive, most rudders are sized by the size of the rudder plate, so I ordered what I thought was the correct size, only to find that this manufacturer gave the overall size of the whole rudder assembly, so the first ones were put to one side for another project, and the other size ordered. I have about 30mm between the keel and the skeg, the rudder has to fit in here, length as long as possible, there is only 1 manufacturer who makes rudders in the shallow but long configuration, and they only make 2 sizes, anyway they arrived and look spot on.

the only other alternative would be to slit some 3mm brass rod, cut a rudder and rivet it to the rudder post, then tap the top M3 for the actuating arm.

I am trying a new method of steam bending, using shaped formers inside and outside on the corners, these are the waste from outside when I cut the formers out, I want to see if this makes the shaping easier, if it does I will be going with this from now onwards, it should stop the annoying habit of the odd rib splintering out on those tight corners, and was an idea I had about 2.30am this morning, while trying to get back to sleep.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

• Like 3