The Best Of Both Worlds?

JennyMorgan

41 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

I think I can see one or two points where things could be attached.........:naughty:

. . . . . . . . . if she'll let you.

This could bring a whole new dimension to body art! Lady's with a boat's name & registration numbers tattooed on their transoms :51_scream:.

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Not only a whalebone corset but a wishbone rig!

Come on, Kadenza, we are only trying to use a bit of humorous association with nautical terms. Perhaps you didn't know that a wishbone rig is that used on historic Thames spritsail barges?

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Not sure where the registration numbers would go so maybe a fine is inevitable.

When I used to work for Percivals in Horning, I was demonstrating a "Bonito" to a customer. This is basically a surfboard with a sail.

I was stopped by the river inspector, Jack Bidewell, because I was not displaying trade plates on it!

We are only trying to have a bit of fun, you know? 

• Like 5

The Bonito, a friend and I built a close replica out of whatever we could scrounge and we rigged it with an abandoned cotton lugsail & mast that we 'borrowed' from one of the boatyards. The first uncontrollable blast across the Broad nigh on scared the pants off us both, well, she was untried and it was blowing a gale! We had a huge amount of fun out of her for that one summer but she became a casualty & died during the autumn when my friend gybed her & the deck parted from the hull, perhaps the sail was too big!.

• Like 1

In the early 1960s. maybe early 70's, the builders of the Bonito lent demonstration boats to various yards in the hope that they would sell lots of boats. They were great fun on open water but not so good on rivers plus most prospective purchasers wanted a demonstration run on Saturdays, turn around day, when yards really did not want the aggravation. It was a great idea but they didn't catch on. 2009-06-18_223507_Bonito.jpg

• Like 1

There were a number of good dinghys about at that time but Performance Sailcraft and their Laser range killed off so much of the competition. 

Lasers and moving on to Contenders was fun at the time but has left me in my late 60s very near disabled with regards to knees, base of spine and hips.

• Like 2

So right you are Chris. I never sailed Lasers but I did sail the Mini-Sail with a sliding seat which, despite its name, was a very able boat. My brother had a Man-O-War, a cousin had a Toy from Tiptree Marine, possibly because of the name it didn't catch on whilst the Lazer did, possibly because of its very strict one-design rules. I moved onto a Finn and then onto, like you, a Contender from Rondar which I raced in the Solent. Like you I'm now near disabled base of spine downwards.

I thought "are we going off the subject?" but then the topic is ambiguous, so let's take it where it leads us!

I never realised that dinghy sailing could cause problems of articulation in later life. I know that some sports, like rugby, cause arthritic problems and I suffer a little in my toes, because I was in a box-horse vaulting team when I was at naval college.

My main sport was rowing, and I am proud to have rowed for my school in the "eight" at Henley. I am very lucky though, that it has left me with no bone problems and an abnormally strong back and legs, for my age.

Perhaps we would have been better, after all, to stay on the sofa on a Saturday afternoon, with a Youngs and Crawshays pale ale, and watch the rugby on the television?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Saturday afternoons used to be Giant Haystacks v Big Daddy followed by Rally Cross when I was little...

Always live from the pump rooms bolton, then Dr Who at teatime. Or a bit more on topic, very boat related - tales of the riverbank,

Do Sport and stay fit,

Big right toe, Damaged by Yeoman owner, while racing said Yeoman , she, aged 70+ landed on it heavily.

Knees damaged, volleyball and laser sailing.

Lower back damaged , sliding into a base playing baseball, not helped by laser sailing, re-awoken by Yeoman sailing and moving a Reedling keelboat.

Left elbow damaged, Laser sailing, still holding mainsheet when planing and washed off the deck by ploughing into a wave.

We didn't get a TV till I was about 8 or 9, the first thing I remember on it was an overvalued sport being played in 1966. Saturdays, crisps, sandwich, orange squash, wrestling, rallycross.

1971, Outer hebridies, back to black and white, BBC1 only.....

Never really got into watching much TV, still don't

5 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

Always live from the pump rooms bolton, then Dr Who at teatime. Or a bit more on topic, very boat related - tales of the riverbank,

Anyone in particular in mind with Tales of the Riverbank? See if you can see a blue bow fender or cloth cap amongst this lot!

• Like 2