Red Arrows There's Something Different

Timbo

The sight of the Red Arrows practicing in the skies overhead is a familiar one here in Lincolnshire. We call them 'Gracie's Planes' as they always seem to come and perform overhead for any trip we make with our granddaughter Grace. I noticed last Wednesday just gone that the Red Arrow Spotters were out in force on the Tillbridge Lane. The Red Arrows jets themselves seemed to be different this season. Their silhouette seemed larger and more angular than the usual Gnat trainers they fly. Are they due to change aircraft?

2 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

I'm afraid you're living in the past, Tim.......... they changed from Gnats to Hawks back in '79!

Occupational hazard I guess :naughty:

6EDC7E9C_5056_A318_A835A15182445591.jpg

But the silhouette was very different to the HAWKS. Very angular they seemed, none of the curves...almost boxy.

2 minutes ago, Regulo said:

The world's moving too fast - why can't they use Sopwith Camel 5e's? I suppose the displays would be an all day affair! 

Especially if they hit a brisk headwind

46 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Like this, Chris? (My 1000 hours instructing on JP's).

58b9452c6094e_1000hoursJP.thumb.jpg.fcc300b4a8b19378cfdf0347f11eecf0.jpg

I remember the Jet Provost because of it's Armstrong Siddeley Viper engine.  My father was an Armstrong Siddeley Motor fanatic. To his dying day he morned the passing of the cars. When they were available he would drive nothing else. His last one was a Star Sapphire with a straight six 4 litre coupled to a Rolls Royce Hydromatic auto box. In the 60s he transfered to 3.8 Mk 2 Jaguars but always said that the handling of the Armstrong was so superior. It was a luxury saloon that truly had the handling and performance of a sports car.

9 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Here's the Folland Gnat like which I used to fly.

Image result for red arrows gnats

9 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Here's the Folland Gnat like which I used to fly.

Image result for red arrows gnats

Hi John, I had no idea you flew Gnats, I thought you flew Hunters and Buccaneers?. I love most military jets, but the Gnat is special, small enough to fit in our back garden, but I don't think Karen would b we too pleased with a Gnat as a toy?.

I have said this before but will do so again. A number of years ago we were on the cut.Then saw the Reds flying overhead I waved.All of a sudden  the two wing men dipped  there wings.For sure that made my day.I have been lucky  over the years to see them many times.For me the best display  team in the world.I would  love to fly  with them

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

For a CAS aeroplane I'd agree, Mark but it was rather limited to the amount of ordnance that it could carry.

But it was still blooming technically brilliant. You can't beat a bit of good old British engineering. 

Im envious of your flying record though. 

Cant get me a back seat pillion ride in a jet can you?:party:

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi John, I had no idea you flew Gnats, I thought you flew Hunters and Buccaneers?. I love most military jets, but the Gnat is special, small enough to fit in our back garden, but I don't think Karen would b we too pleased with a Gnat as a toy?.

If you find a spare one, Neil, it will fit on a plinth on our front lawn!    cheersbar

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

If you find a spare one, Neil, it will fit on a plinth on our front lawn!    cheersbar

Some while back, there was one for sale at Bournemouth airport. I think it was a spares plane, as there was quite a bit missing, and went on sale when the museum moved from inside the airport grounds to the other side of the airport road. I think it was being advertised for about £5,000 ish.  There`s a complete flying example at the airport, very close to our old hanger, and is in Red Arrows livery, though i don`t know if it`s a genuine ex Arrows plane. I`l take my camera to work one day and get a photo. 

when I went to Bournmouth airport while on holiday down that way we were lucky enough to view the red arrows on the runway from the museum tea garden, at the same time they had the red arrow gnat out in front of the hangers doing an engine test - Bonus.

• Like 1