A Large Load...

BB37

Today we were on the trail of the Hardy 65. It has been built over the last 18 months at North Walsham. It left North Walsham at 9:30, came over Wayford Bridge at 12:00, then it stopped at Stalham, just outside Richardsons at 12:30. It then came over the new Potter Heigham Bridge at 13:40. It was going on to Great Yarmouth where it will be put in the water in a few weeks. The progress was slow as there was a lot of trees overhanging the road, so they had two people on the top with chainsaws. Also power cables were being raised to fit it under.

H1.JPG

H2.JPG

H3.JPG

• Like 9

Was this 65 not destined for Russia? Or was that when the Funnel Family were the owners. Hardy Boats have a commissioning base at Ipswich but maybe this is too big for it. Great boats that are used for training by the RNLI so must be of superior sea keeping quality. The Commadore 42 was chosen to replace the Nelson 44s in the training fleet.

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A good hull design ruined, in my opinion, by building an outside to compliment the inside rather than designing an inside to compliment the outside.

Fashion Peter I am afraid. These hull windows can be seen in boats as small as 7m Beneteau, Jeaneau and loads of Polish moulded product now sport them. The Cornish Crabber built landau 20 and Shrimper 19 were the first boats I remember with glass in the hull but much smaller.

• Like 1

Windows in the hull as such are not the problem. For me it was Those windows in That hull .

Windows 3,4, and 5 were, for me, not pleasing to the eye. had they remained the same size and shape to the first two and last two windows and at the same level, the boat would have looked far more to my taste. The superstructure and general shape of the craft I like, in fact I'm thinkin g about buying one to keep on Hickliing broad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Windows in the hull as such are not the problem. For me it was Those windows in That hull .

Windows 3,4, and 5 were, for me, not pleasing to the eye. had they remained the same size and shape to the first two and last two windows and at the same level, the boat would have looked far more to my taste. The superstructure and general shape of the craft I like, in fact I'm thinkin g about buying one to keep on Hickliing broad. 

More dredging required with that hull then!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The superstructure and general shape of the craft I like, in fact I'm thinkin g about buying one to keep on Hickliing broad. 

Add a few quid to the price of her and you could buy Hickling ahead of NWT.

We were driving down to Stalham yesterday and heard a warning about an abnormal leaving N Walsham at 1100hrs and a list of road numbers involved.  I said that's us, we'll have to be careful to avoid being stuck.  ( I wasn't a principle technical officer - heavy haulage for nothing you know).

We then followed the road chaos on the radio , load stuck between Stalham and Sutton at that time, and figured we were in the firing line soon.  Decision time - get off the A149 at Potter, over the old bridge and then up the 'old road' from Potter to Catfield, got the the Catfield/Sutton crossroads and the jam was south of there with the queue back across the junction, so rejoined the north bound A149 and got to Stalham undelayed and on time near enough.

In the Bride inn later we learned that they had to stop and cut trees near the pub before geting to the A47.

• Like 2

I was on the phone to Robert at Sutton Staithe this morning discussing the price difference between a complete new bog and a replacement macerator (£40!!) - he had a yarn with the guys moving the boat as they went past, apparently the bill for the move was in the region of 29 thousand!

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 0:30 PM, ChrisB said:

Add a few quid to the price of her and you could buy Hickling ahead of NWT.

I think you will find you could buy the Hickling estate and still have shed loads of money left over for the price of her.

2 hours ago, Labrador said:

I think you will find you could buy the Hickling estate and still have shed loads of money left over for the price of her.

Yes, I am out of touch.

You see I am of an age when £1000 per foot would buy you a very nice gentlemans TSDY of 50 to 60 ft. You can't buy the smallest Shetland or Viking for £1000 per ft now.  Mind in those days most of the country would have like to earn £1000 per annum.