My Day

LizG

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong (again!) but I thought that if excessive ice is present It's also most likely blocking the elements of the heat exchanger thingy where you can't get at it. Best make arrangements for the food and leave the frezer to thaw naturally for a day?

A bit difficult, I only got round to reading the comments this evening and we are travelling home tomorrow. Dad hasn’t got a hairdryer anyway. At least I managed to clear the majority of the ice without damaging anything. I think the fridge is faulty, as it’s on the minimum setting.

We have had an ‘interesting’ few days. When we arrived on Tuesday, intending to stay with Graham’s dad, we found the kitchen taken over by millions of flies (well, maybe thousands.). Some investigation unearthed a few uneaten, defrosted meals that were being consumed by maggots and, in a cardboard box, underneath more cardboard I found a mass of mouldy chips. I won’t go on about the state of the rest of the kitchen, but I’m sure you get my drift. There wasn’t anything in the fridge, but there were some odd items like salad leaves in the freezer.

We rolled our sleeves up and tried to tackle the worst…me in the kitchen and Graham the bathroom, but the more I unearthed, the more worried I got. I phoned Dad’s social worker, telling her we were at our wit’s end. She was very helpful and suggested that she find him a room in a care home for him temporarily whilst his house gets sorted and he gets assessed. She visited this morning and we are just waiting to hear whether he has accommodation somewhere.

Meanwhile the house still needs a lot of ‘tackling’, and there’s only so much you can do in a few days.

Needless to say, we didn’t stay in Dad’s home. We ended up in a Travelodge…luckily they are dog friendly.

The poor dogs have spent a lot of time in the car the last few days, though we have taken them for beach walks each day. 

• Sad 6
  • Love 1

Oh Helen, ❤️❤️
Difficult times, and having to think ‘on the hoof’ to get things in place for him when it’s not in familiar territory. 
Hats off to Travelodge for accepting dogs. They baled me out in Kent the other weekend too. 

• Like 2

I’m working in a Holiday Inn Express (Donny) yet again. This morning water running internally tripping electrics, setting off fire alarms. Staff frantically trying to find rainwater source of the leak

Turns out a guest had left a basin tap running with the plug fitted all night in the en-suite. That’s gonna be an expensive mistake 

Even worse the coffee machine has packed up. So no tea or coffee this morning with my free breakfast 

Griff

• Sad 1

On 20/10/2023 at 16:21, BroadAmbition said:

Got Purdey out in the rain. Yep both of us got a dowsing. Just to make sure though, WGR went in t river - of course she did 

It’s what rivers are made for. 

And Finlay followed her example today, I was just a bit concerned about whether a storm overflow sewage discharge had occurred, so had to be very strict until we were above the outfall. 

So,  My Day .. what did I do ?

I spent it on my boat :default_biggrin:

Didn't actually go anywhere, as the river was under a strong stream advice, so not open for navigation due to high water levels.

In fact, the marina water level was about 4ft higher than normal, and a lot of the paths were under water and moorings over topped.

However, I did manage to chug round the basin for a little bit, to try mooring stern-on (badly). Much more practice needed :default_stinky:

But, I was on MY BOAT ... oh how I have waited so long to finally be able to say that !!

• Like 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

However, I did manage to chug round the basin for a little bit, to try mooring stern-on (badly).

Are you sticking at Jones' at the moment?

I went to the Pike and Eel the other day and noticed it looks like there might be quite a lot of space free there. Not a huge amount of facilities, but I did wonder how cheap they are.

9 hours ago, dom said:

Are you sticking at Jones' at the moment?

I went to the Pike and Eel the other day and noticed it looks like there might be quite a lot of space free there. Not a huge amount of facilities, but I did wonder how cheap they are.

Yes, I will certainly stay at Jones for the time being. It is a lovely marina, very pretty with good facilities and they are very friendly.

Having said that, the Pike and Eel is a fair bit cheaper, and from their website it does look nice. Maybe I should take a trip down there and check it out !

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Having said that, the Pike and Eel is a fair bit cheaper, and from their website it does look nice. Maybe I should take a trip down there and check it out !

Good excuse for a trip out once the levels calm down a bit.

I get the impression that Westview at Earith is probably one of the nicest marinas around the area, but probably high demand as a result. It seems to have a really nice community feel. The guy who owns it has a boat on the broads, or at least did when I spoke to him a while back.

• Like 1

Just incase you old salts need your memory jogging.

Memories are made of this...

I remember standing on the foc'sle on a Morning watch weighing anchor with the smell of the North Wind whipping in from ahead and the taste of salt spray on my lips. The feel of the ship beneath me, a living thing as her engines drive her through the sea. The sounds of the Royal Navy, the piercing trill of the boatswains call, the clang of the ships bell, the harsh squawk of the main broadcast Tannoy and the strong language and laughter of sailors at work. The warships, sleek destroyers, fussing frigates, plodding fleet auxiliaries, menacing submarines, purposeful mine hunters and steady solid carriers. The proud names of the Royal Navy's capitol ships, ARK ROYAL, EAGLE, LION and TIGER. The descriptive names of destroyers, DARING, BIRMINGHAM, BATTLEAXE, CAVALIER, and frigates, ACTIVE, UNDAUNTED, VIGILANT to name just a few. The military beat of the Royal Marine Band blaring on the upper deck as we entered harbour in Procedure Alpha. The pipe "Liberty men fall in" and the spicy scent and sights of a foreign port. Going ashore in No 1 uniform to meet the ladies and visit the watering holes of these foreign ports.

My mates, men from all parts of the land, from city and country alike and all walks of life, I depended on them as they depended on me for professional competence, comradeship, trust and courage, in a word we were shipmates, a band of brothers. A loud game of Uckers in the evening with my messmates. My shipmate slinging my Mick (hammock) (or unzipping my pit) for me coming aboard after a run ashore, knowing that I would do the same for him. The surge of adventure in my heart when the calls of "Special Sea Duty men close up" or "Away sea boats crew" were piped. The absolute joy of hearing the call "Up Spirits" in anticipation of your daily tot of rum. The sudden adrenalin rush when the "Action Stations" alarm blared, followed by the clamour of running feet on ladders and the resounding thump of watertight doors and hatches being shut as the ship transformed herself from a peaceful home to a deadly weapon of war ready for anything. The atmosphere of the ship in the darkness of night, the dim red glow of the night lights and the navigation lights. Standing on the quarterdeck as "Lifebuoy Ghost" (sentry) watching the sparkling phosphorescence from the screws as they constantly pushed tons of water astern of the ship, carrying us to our next destination. The "Watch on Deck" on a balmy tropical night in the South China sea watching the glorious sunset, and flying fish gliding for amazing distances across the surface of the sea, with some landing inboard. Drifting off to sleep in a hammock (or bunk), lulled by the myriad of noises large and small that told me that my ship is alive and well and that my shipmates were on watch and keeping me safe.

The aroma from the galley during the Morning Watch. Cheesy, Hammy, Eggy, Train Smash, Sh*t on a Raft and Figgy Duff. The wholesome taste of kai (very thick cocoa) during the middle watch on a cold, dark winters night. The sound of the bow slicing through the mirror calm of the sea and the frolicking of dolphins as they darted in and out of the bow wave. Watching the ships wake disappearing back towards the horizon knowing that it will be gone in a short time and being aware of the fact that we were not the first or will not be the last to leave our mark on the water. The state of the art equipment and the orange glow of radar screens manned by young men in anti-flash gear using sound powered phones that their grandfathers would still recognise. The infectious feeling of excitement as we returned home again, the hugs and kisses of welcome from sweethearts, family and friends. The work was hard and dangerous, the going rough at times, the parting from loved ones painful but the robust Royal Navy comradeship, the all for one and one for all philosophy of the sea was ever present. The traditions of the Royal Navy and the men who made them and the heroism of the men who sailed in the ships of yesteryear.

Now that I am home I still remember with fondness and respect the sea in all its moods from the shimmering mirror calm of the tropics to the storm tossed waters of the North Atlantic, the bright colours of the White Ensign snapping at the yardarm, the sound of hearty laughter. I am ashore for good now and grow wistful about my Royal Navy days, when I was young and a new adventure was ever over the horizon. Stamped on my brain is my Official Number and an anchor where my heart is. Numbers will never be the same again: Uniforms: Number 1s 2s 3s 6s 8s 10s 10A's. Punishments: Number 9s, 14s.

Even as times change, and young matelots take over from old seadogs, some things will never change. The old days were always harder. The recruits always looked younger. Official Numbers were always smaller. The waves were always bigger. The girls were as good looking in Pompey (Portsmouth) as they were in Guzz (Devonport).Your last ship was always the best. If I haven't been there, it doesn't exist - or we blew it off the map. Only a sailor knows, I was a sailor once and I know. I look back and realise it was not just a job, it was a way of life. A life where shipmates were a family never to be forgotten. I was part of the Royal Navy and the Royal Navy will always be part of me.

Griff

• Like 8
  • Love 6

I hadn't realised you were a poet Griff. That was one massively engaging and heartfelt post. I don't think I've read anything that comes close to it in conveying such a sense of what it must be like to serve on board one of Her Majesty's ships (now his Majesty of course). 

:default_trophy:

• Like 1

We had a family day out today. I'm still amazed that our 'boys' still occasionally deign us aged parents with their company for days out. The plan was to visit Northampton and visit the town museum that has a fascinating collection of shoes - shoes being one of the major products that Northampton was famous for (when I was working for the railway the main commuter train from Northampton to Euston was still referred to as 'The Cobbler'). 

However, Harry first wanted to visit a factory shop. I hadn't heard of this particular shoe manufacturer, probably because they are a bit 'high end' (British handmade shoes). :facepalm:

It was Harry's birthday a few days ago and he fancied 'pushing the boat out', so to speak to spend some of this birthday money (plus a bit!). He got his pair of shoes, the most expensive any of us have ever paid for a pair, even though they were less than half the normal price. The place is called Crockett and Jones and have an 'appointment' to the Prince of Wales (now the King I guess). Not an easy place to find as it was deep in  a maze of terraced streets in the Northampton suburb of Abington. 

crockettandjones.com.

They had some interesting old catalogues in the factory shop.

PXL_20231025_111704376.thumb.jpg.93aa6c1d1ad0da8b2d069a1e7e0d0565.jpg

PXL_20231025_111725974.thumb.jpg.86b93eb759fce724a3de8402fb05972d.jpg

PXL_20231025_111748673.thumb.jpg.d9ae6d44c3b3eedb15a1615f9adc2b5e.jpg

The factory...

PXL_20231025_112436450.thumb.jpg.dd21e5d1efbedae00b2ab9f2ddd38233.jpg

PXL_20231025_112536987.thumb.jpg.557dc2956e6ca0133562f29bccda03ef.jpg

We also found a gem of a bakery just down the next terraced street where we had lunch. The Magee Street Bakery, an 'artisan' bakery.

PXL_20231025_114102016.thumb.jpg.37c5daf175e9a8630f46ad213c9dc292.jpg

When I told him that we were planning to visit Northampton, Malcolm (Mouldy, who used to live there) was bewailing the sad condition of Northampton town centre. I was very impressed with Abington though. It seems to have a very vibrant high street. Lots of interesting independent shops and restaurants. Seems to be quite a 'hip' neighbourhood. Probably because it's not that far from the Uni.

Before we visited the Museum the dogs had a walk in Becket's Park, that is beside the Rover Nene. 

Harry's new shoes.

PXL_20231025_171638396.thumb.jpg.830e7c874a51840630a0f0a2212b2743.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The scene is set in the battleship HMS Hood, during the famous battle when she was sunk by the Bismarck.  She was a Portsmouth ship and down in the number three boiler room, two old Pompey stokers,  - three badge A.B.s - are sweating away, "doing all that thou art able".  All of a sudden a shell from the Bismarck comes straight down the funnel and all is blown to pieces.  Anyway, about a week later, down in Hell, one stoker comes across the other, picking their way through the fire and brimstone

"Ere George" says Lofty ; I thought you was one of them good holy sort of blokes, what would 'ave gorn "Up There", like?

Well Lofty, as a matter of fact I did go Up There.  After we cleared through Purgatory and I climbed up them awful long stairs, I met St Peter at the Gates.  He looks me up and down for a minute and then he looks at his big list.  "Oh yes, you.  Ordinary Angel Orchid, isn't it?   I know all about you, Orchid!  Get yourself over to the stokers' mess cloud  and your first duty for the day will be 'arping!"

So I goes off to the stores and I draws me 'arp, and me Pusser's bag lunch, and I goes off and me I gets 'arpin.  And I 'arps from 0800 to 1330, when I 'as me bag lunch ; and then I 'arps again from 1345 to 1750.

Well I didn't think a lot of this but next morning we all falls in on the parade cloud and me being a new bloke, like, I falls in on the right.  The Chief Regulatin' Angel comes out of his office :  "Party, SHUN!  Square your wings off!"  He looks us up and down for a minute.  "Duties for the day.  From 'ere to the right : 'arpin!"  So I goes off again and I 'arps.  From oh-eight-double-oh to seventeen-fifty.  On a cold, damp cloud.

So that evening on the mess cloud, I sees an old mate from right back before the Royal Oak went darn. "ere Chalky", I says - you been 'ere a fair while so tell me, 'ow do I get out of 'arpin? '  Well, he says, you're a new bloke so you fell in on the right.  Try falling in on the centre.  So next morning, the Chief Regulatin' Angel comes out :  "Party, SHUN!  Square yer wings off!   From 'ere to the right - 'arpin!  Great, I thinks, I've got away with it.  "I'll 'ave three volunteers - you, you and you - scrub out the Archangels' mess!  I'll have five men, that's you lot in the rear rank - Pearly Gates ****-polishing party!  And you, grinnin' in the centre rank - Archangels' mess billiard marker!  And all of the front rank - angel wings plucking' party!

And then he comes to me - all alone in the centre.  "Oh yes, you.  Orchid, isn't it?  I know all about you, Orchid.  Get 'arpin, Orchid!  So I takes two paces forward and I stands at ease and I says "Chief?"

Yes, Orchid?  " I'm sorry but I've 'ad 'arpin!"  WHAT? You 'orrible little angel - when I tells you as 'ow you is to 'arp, you bleedin' well 'arps!  Report before the Archangel of the Day!

So I goes off and I cleans into No 1 wings and I falls in outside the office.  Chief Regulatin' Angel comes out:  "Ordinary angel Orchid.  Before the presence of the Archangel of the day, quick march!  One, two three four halt!!  Square yer wings off!   Orf halo's!

Ordinary Angel Orchid, Sah!   Is here charged with conduct to the prejudice of good order and Heavenly discipline, in that he did refuse to 'arp.  Sah!

The Archangel says "now why, did you refuse to 'arp, Orchid?" 

Well look 'ere sir, I bin 'ere 3 days now an all I done is 'arpin.  There's lots of other jobs to do, like, and I aint a musical sort of bloke, an' even cloud scrubbin' is better than this.  Quite frankly sir, I've 'ad 'arpin!

Orders is orders, Orchid, and when the Chief tells you as 'ow you is to 'arp', you 'arps. Sentenced to fourteen days Hell.  On halo's!  Aybout turn, quick march!

An that's 'ow I got down 'ere, Lofty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My Previous post - Made a right hash of that one, what I should have said was:-

Yesterday it was exactly twenty three years since I left the RN

I served twenty four years and twelve days

This time next year  I will have been a wall and floor tiler for the same length of time I spent in the RN - Scary where did all that time go then?

Maybe a mod could delete the above apart from the question to Vaughan?

Tks,

Griff

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Amongst the c. 1,415 lost souls when the Hood sank was my mothers uncle , his letters , medals and photos were past on to me by my late grandfather, even as a youngster I regarded being the custodian of this piece history an honour 

In actual fact this story is quite genuine and is a little "piece of history" in its own right.  It is a tale which was told on the mess decks all over the Navy during the last war and was told to me by a good friend of my father, who also served in the Navy in those days.

As such, it is typical of the British "matelot's"  rather special sense of humour, which is also to be found in the other armed forces.  I simply felt it might be a humorous adjunct to Griff's lovely reflections on the Navy as it was in those days and after.

I apologise if you did not appreciate it in the spirit in which it was intended.