My Day

LizG

Here in deepest Hertfordshire I had a text saying my monthly water direct debit was going up from £30 to £140 !

I rang Affinity Water and they said my usage had gone up by 10,000 litres per month . They came out and could head water running under the patio when the house stopcock was turned off. I actually had their HomeServe cover and after paying the £30 excess an engineer came , carefully removed a couple of patio slabs and dug a deep hole to find and repair the leak , At the same time they found a crack in the underground sink  drain pipe and a week later this was also replaced and the patio slabs properly re-laid .

No complaints what so ever and I have been told that my usage will be put back to where it was before via their leakage allowance with nothing extra to pay ! That £10 per month that I nearly cancelled last year looks like good value now !

• Like 4

A lovely morning, time for a bike ride, so off I set, along the river, still swollen and flowing fast, through the areas where the path is flooded.

this time I had a purpose, just next to the railway arch crossing the river there is a picnic bench with some carvings of ducks and mice on the top, so on my return journey I stopped there and got my 3d scanner out (black friday present to myself) and set to to capture some of the carvings (and learn the proper settings for this beast) eventually I got a good scan of one of the carvings, then headed home, on a whim I also booked myself a ticket for Aladdin at the Marlow theatre- the only remaining seats were all single seats, so I snapped one up, and am preparing for a good evening at the theatre tonight.

the STL file can be viewed using the 3d viewer software built into a microsoft pc

duck scan.PNG

duck scan.stl

2 hours ago, grendel said:

on a whim I also booked myself a ticket for Aladdin at the Marlow theatre-

Oh no you didn't! :default_coat:

Sorry but it's been there for 2 hours and nobody else has bothered. Has to be done.

3D scanners - Wow! I had no idea they had been developed for the consumer market so quickly. I saw them at an engineering exhibition (Mach 18 I think) but they expensive and cumbersome. I can see the appeal: scan a broken something, "repair" it in the drawing then 3d print a new one. Excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Oh no you didn't! :default_coat:

Sorry but it's been there for 2 hours and nobody else has bothered. Has to be done. . . . . . . . . . . . .

I was verrrrrrrrrrrry tempted, but an uncharacteristic sense of diplomacy came over me and prevented me mentioning that . . . . . . . . … . .. as well as Grendel’s apparent profligacy in purchasing something so frivolous!

Probably due to it being the season of goodwill! :default_xmas2:

Enjoy your panto, Peter!

• Like 2

Here you go Mr.G

20231217_192018.thumb.jpg.6f065c6057f21bdd7a1968d8ea341c4c.jpg

There was a pod of dolphins in the tay that inspired him.(he is a sweaty)

In all fairness had it been a badger that inspired him it would be crap....

20231217_192025.thumb.jpg.b311a3a2e1dfee2d03d6febcaa7bda41.jpg

He liked mice.

20231217_192042.thumb.jpg.880567f8616a89a938243edd0f87ba0a.jpg

And frogs.

20231217_192108.thumb.jpg.db815ed7cbf7495711d5ec86c2fcd8ce.jpg

Yeah the skirting board paint needs finishing but this little family are running up the stairs, they've lost a few ears and the odd tail to vacuum cleaners but still a cracking bit of carving.

Such a shame to see such talent dwindle.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

20231217_192108.thumb.jpg.db815ed7cbf7495711d5ec86c2fcd8ce.jpg

Yeah the skirting board paint needs finishing but this little family are running up the stairs, they've lost a few ears and the odd tail to vacuum cleaners but still a cracking bit of carving.

Is that all in one piece of wood?

Wow!

On 14/12/2022 at 20:46, Turnoar said:

Duncan Industries manufactured the Duncan Alvis here with some help with the early timber frames from Herbert Woods and Graham Bunn. I think the business was canned eventually.

Just stumbled across this old post whilst digging around to see if Graham Bunn's wherrymen ancestors get any mention on here.

My grandfather was a coachbuilder and worked on wooden aircraft frames. Just after WW2, he got made redundant when Miles Aircraft went bust. The family, including my dad, ended up moving up to Haveringland and living in a Nissen hut on the former airfield so my grandfather could get a job at Duncan Industries. He made timber frames for some of Duncan's cars. I know he worked on Duncan Healeys, but not sure if he did anything with the Alvis. It's really interesting to hear of the connection to Graham Bunn.

Ironic choice of words to describe Duncan's demise. My grandmother worked for the canning factory up the road from Duncan Industries.

• Like 1

Ironic indeed dom, Friday night quizzers will know I can spout the odd pun now and again unentintionally… in some ways there was no immediate demise of Duncan as the car man came to NW to assist his brother with the canning operation and that ended up outlasting NW’s brief foray into the auto industry by a long chalk, half a century or more.

Enjoying following your research, it’s prompted me to pick up links I have to members of the Allen family in the area surrounding Coltishall and possibly the yard where wherry building took place in the late 1800’s. Seems Bunns and possibly press’s spawned from this neck of the Bure too.

50 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Enjoying following your research, it’s prompted me to pick up links I have to members of the Allen family in the area surrounding Coltishall and possibly the yard where wherry building took place in the late 1800’s. Seems Bunns and possibly press’s spawned from this neck of the Bure too.

No Allens in the document I'm looking at currently that I can see, but Leander, a pleasure wherry which used to belong to one of the Bunns is listed belonging to a Le Grice. Took me a minute to place the name, but presumably also linked to North Walsham.

A James Bunn definitely ran a wherry (Horstead Trader) from somewhere just upstream of Horstead Bridge - generally listed as Hautbois Magna or Great Hautbois. It seems they ran from there right down to Yarmouth. William, a generation before ran a wherry too, but I've not found much detail as yet, other than he was from Marsham. I think they were a bit of a wherrying dynasty. James had at least 13 kids, so no shortage of crew!

I find it all fascinating, but also slightly spooky. I was looking at a list earlier and realised all the northern river wherrymen's surnames were not just familiar, but a very high percentage were the same as my closest friends in my youth. It's almost like we were subconsciously drawn together somehow by a shared heritage.