My Day

LizG

I picked the best day of the week to move the boat from Horning to Brundall yesterday. Fuelled up and pump out at Boulters 8.30am arrived at Brundall 4.30pm even allowing for fighting the tide south side as no choice to get there before full darkness set in. 

John 

5593B0B8-4FB9-4311-8B00-69AD3BFAE63F.jpeg

70FDACF4-2FAA-45EB-B076-67878AAA445A.jpeg

1686DD6D-5D84-4118-9EA9-AD6E80874C2D.jpeg

95878B8A-65B5-4F0B-A231-A147FD54D926.jpeg

C9813A5F-1845-4166-8EB7-55E665FF9F0B.jpeg

36ED3CDE-F463-4651-ACA5-C938913E0E41.jpeg

• Like 10

Yesssssssssssss!  Decorating finished . . . . . . . . . . . . . . well almost!  Still have to gloss the window ledge, which was left on purpose until the blinds and carpet had been fitted.  I now have a sizeable heap of units to construct (thank you IKEA) and fit, mount the TV on a substantial wall bracket set up the hi-fi and possibly inflate an air sofa, depending on what the wife wants until our new settees arrive in January!  When I’ve done all that, I can catch up with the gardening and cleaning the cars.  Did someone say retired?

Before and after shots including the awful artex pattern on the ceiling that was skimmed over!

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_1215.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

• Like 12

I wondered how you were getting on. Well done, just the last lap to go. And finished well before ‘you know when’, so you can just relax and watch tv and eat chocolate. 
I had an air sofa once for my large family tent. It was brilliant but did have a habit of tipping over if you moved too suddenly. 

• Thanks 1

I have spent the day onboard doing odd jobs and finding an additional mooring for the new boat.  My moorings have been split across the marina, about as far apart as they could be.

I have claimed the one next to Denham Owl as it is only about 50' from Whitey.

Now all I need is Horning to dry out so the boat can be transported down.

I now need to practice stern on mooring, it's been 15 years since I did one 🤞

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I have spent the day onboard doing odd jobs and finding an additional mooring for the new boat.  My moorings have been split across the marina, about as far apart as they could be.

I have claimed the one next to Denham Owl as it is only about 50' from Whitey.

Now all I need is Horning to dry out so the boat can be transported down.

I now need to practice stern on mooring, it's been 15 years since I did one 🤞

It won't matter when you choose to do that there will be an audience . Some how you turn up at a mooring in a forward steer boat and it is deserted, get the boat stern to and you go out the back to tie up and there is a welcoming party.:default_icon_clap:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2

Window ledge was glossed yesterday morning, so just the door to rehang - easier to take it off and avoid covering it and the hinges with paint.  All units constructed and secured to the newly painted and papered walls, TV attached to the wall bracket, hi-fi set up and the wife now happy (and so am I, to be honest).  Perhaps she’ll stop bending my ear about decorating and allow me to relax a little, but I fear that may be asking too much as I’m sure she’ll find some more little projects for me to undertake!

Roll on 8th January, when our new settees are due to be delivered!

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Another full day of it.

Got a call from daughter - a leak in one of the bedrooms and could I go round after work.  Arrived at 1830 having picked up Purdey en-route.  A 10mm copper pipe feeding a bedroom radiator had fractured on the solder joint.  Up into loft, secure ball valve.  Down into utility the drain tap was on the radiator and was seized soled, had to remove the whole blasted fitting.  Drained system down - Eventually.  My recommended plumber will attend next day afternoon and make repairs.  Then before I got home - got a call from son, could I collect him and drop him off at a local pub? - Meeting one of his mates for a birthday drink  It was 2000 by the time I got in.  Fortunately Daughter had mad my tea up for me to take home, Fed me and Purdey, fell asleep on lounge sofa.  Phone woke me up at 2130 to collect son and take him home

Griff

A strange one today for me, scattering my Mums ashes on my late step dads grave today followed by a bit of a wake in our regular pub so lots of running around sorting a buffet but managed to get a full english in the cafe to help soak up the afternoons beer.

No idea how many will turn up or what I'm meant to do or say as it's a home brew affair (I'm basically the funeral director for the day), grave is pre-prepared with the turf cut so it's a quick flip back (don't want the council grass cutters wearing or snorting my Mum) and there's a laminated pic of their wedding day blue tac'd to the headstone, got a good pic for the pub with Mum in a Christmas hat with a glass in her hand looking slightly pickled in the same pub :default_beerchug:.

If anyone passes my boat in the meantime say hello for me as it seems forever since I've been there and not likely now till mid december with other weekend things in the way unless we fancy a one night visit next saturday but 180 mile round trip and another half pot of anti freeze is a lot for one night out.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

If you want a more formal wording. I have used this as a committal and ashes internment wording.

As the sun rises and as it sets..

We will remember Mum

At the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter. . .

At the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring. .

At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer. . .

At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of autumn. . .

At the beginning of the year and when it ends. . .

We will remember her,

When we are weary and in need of strength. . .

When we are lost and sick at heart. . .

When we have joy and wish to share it. . .

When we have decisions that are difficult to make. . .

When we have achievements that are based on hers. . .

We will remember her.

For as long as we live, Mum too shall live. .

For she is now a part of us as we remember her.

• Like 3

I won't remember any of that, it's more likely to be:

"I hope he's saved you some!"

There's 2 bottles of whiskey in the coffin down there and she would prefer it to be mickey taking to the end rather than solemn.

The dress code is only wear black if you normally do so, come as she would have know you so I'm wearing jeans and a help for heroes hoody (and maybe the famous grouse wooly hat I found in her sideboard) as she's never seen me in a suit and I've never owned one, until I'm in court for something serious I never plan to.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

not a great start to the run up to christmas, my daughter gives me a call, she is visiting her gran (ex MIL) and says could I come over she has a tap leaking and the floors are wet. plumber cant get out until next week.

goes to find tools, only to find a drip in my workshop, thats splashing everywhere, causing tools to start rusting, oh dear - bucket found and placed under new drip, known other small drip checked, bucket there is full- bucket emptied. now off to ex MIL's

so when I arrive the floors in the living room and kitchen are soaked, wheres the leak I ask, its the tap under the bath (bath is under the stairs along with the kitchen sink) looks, and its quite easy to spot the spurt of water from the stem on the valve. I wind it shut- the spurt stops and tails down to a tiny drip, so a lot of the water could have been avoided by shutting off the tap. 

unfortunately I cant fix this one, as its the incoming stopcock. it really does need a plumber to come in, shut the water off to all 4 houses fed from that main via a stopcock somewhere outside and replace the stopcock inside.

Ex MIL advised to only turn the stopcock on when she actually needs water, and to fill some containers when she does have it on to help avoid the need to turn it on too often. that spurt must have been putting out gallons per hour (she says its only been like that for 3 days)

new carpets will be needed (new flooring if she was fibbing about the 3 days).

At least she has a local plumber on call who will be able to look at it next week.

• Sad 3