My Day

LizG

I’d forgotten about LeGrice roses on the old Yarmouth road, a housing estate now.

The Allen family were quite big too by all accounts, my grandmother was part of a large brood, not so sure they owned wherries as much as built and maintained but from relatively late, a John Allen seemed to have taken ownership of a boatyard in 1870 and I can only assume this later passed to Clifford Allen. It’s possible my great grandfather was Johns brother but I need to dig deeper and it may be he was a cousin, once or twice removed even!

It is spooky, my great grandmother who married an Allen was a Lubbock of which there are dozens from Melton Constable to North Walsham and everywhere between, I probably walk past cousins in the street without even realising! That’s Norfolk for you.

• Like 2

My sister used to have a boyfriend who was heavily involved in the creation of the North Walsham Live Aid events. We lived in Catfield at the time, so I suspect the Le Grice name is etched into my brain from driving back and forth dropping her off at her boyfriend's. I'd always assumed it was just a slightly exotic sounding name they'd created. I didn't realise it was actually a local family name.

Lubbocks in North Walsham seems to go back centuries. I should image you've got hundreds of cousins all around!

I can't picture where Clifford Allen's yard would have been. Was it off the bottom of Anchor Street? With so many yards disappearing, I'm tempted to create a Google map and try and pin them all whilst we still collectively remember them.

• Like 4

The basin where Allen’s was is still there with modern houses built behind facing onto it , 70s or 80s style, I’ve never been down the street and only viewed from the river entrance as you go past, off to the right of the sharp left bend when coming from Wroxham direction before you sweep round and up toward the common. Says Anchor Moorings on google maps. Lovely spot.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've worked out where it was now. I could remember walking down the road in the late 70s/early 80s and it just being houses all along the roadside, but there is actually a small gap through onto the waterfront. Funnily enough, just after "Boatyard Maltings".

I've started a Google map of current and former boatyards, so have added that to it. I think it may be quite a lengthy exercise though. Even just getting Wroxham yards right is proving a nightmare!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Me n MrsG took four of our grandsons to a Panto in Donny yesterday - Beauty and the Beast (To be fair though Beauty wasn't that beautiful but that's another story)

Anyroadup the show was indeed very good.  They did a singalong with huge lyrics at one point.  The youngsters in t audience had to do it on their own, then the sneaky 'Comedian' on stage announced it was the Mums, Dads and grandparents turn.  He told the youngsters if the 'Oldies' were not singing properly then they didn't really love you.  Emotional blackmail is what that was - Probably the most participated & loudest singalong I've heard in a long while :default_biggrin:

Griff

• Like 9
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

24 years & 12 days in the RN. My daughter yesterday beat me at Battleships - Oh the shame

Griff

The shame you are feeling, and rightly should be, is nothing to do with your long and honourable RN service compared to your opponent, but solely the fact that you were beaten by a girl !

I fear underhand psy-ops may have been deployed against you in said conflict :default_icon_eek:

• Haha 4

And the year is gong out with a Bang, last nights hooligan level winds have dismantled the remains of my gazebo, damaged in one of the previous storms, then cobbled back together in the hope of lasting until better weather, so a couple of hours of careful deconstruction this morning, the thin tube frame is dead as are the plastic joining pieces. so I have been online to my local timber merchant and for £266 I have ordered the wood necessary to rebuild the structure, 10 times stronger. ( a heavy duty Gazebo in a similar size was £299), plus with a solid structure i can mount the solar panels on top.

exterior treated construction grade timber and osb sheeting will be delivered in the new year (later i can install insulation and clad the inside too.)

• Like 2

well the timber has arrived and been dropped off at the front of the house, later I need to move it to the back garden, then it looks like this weekend will see the start of building the new 'shed'. the driver assisted with the unloading, and my neighbour stood at his front door and gawped at the timber arriving (he is very good at gawping as he was hanging out of the window gawping as i removed the remains of the old gazebo.)

• Like 1

yesterday I spent an hour from 3pm to 4pm (after I finished work) clearing space, and getting the wall plate up on the side of the conservatory, today the hour was spent getting 12 8' x 4' sheets of OSB round from the front of the house to the back (and also exercising my right of passage across the bottom of my neighbours garden while doing so) tomorrow I may get the front wall done and get the first roof beams in place (weather permitting) the biggest two reasons for slow progress are that I only get 1 hour of decent light after I finish work and that its only just above freezing at the moment out there.

• Like 4

no, just to access my back garden from the road, the path is technically not even on their property, but a previous owner took the fence down and no amount of telling the new owner will get him to reinstate it (as he sees that it gives him a bigger garden, so at least once a year I use the access to ensure I can say its in constant use and to stop him saying its unused and fencing it in (the council actually owns the path).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

no, just to access my back garden from the road, the path is technically not even on their property, but a previous owner took the fence down and no amount of telling the new owner will get him to reinstate it (as he sees that it gives him a bigger garden, so at least once a year I use the access to ensure I can say its in constant use and to stop him saying its unused and fencing it in (the council actually owns the path).

Some neighbours can be a real pita.  I have one that appears to be 10x worse than yours!  And no, we have never done anything to upset him  :default_sad:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

so at least once a year I use the access to ensure I can say its in constant use and to stop him saying its unused and fencing it in (the council actually owns the path).

Good idea. 
I don’t envy you working outside in what has been an extremely raw and drying wind.  Think it might get a smidgen warmer from tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...