My Day

LizG

A certain member of this forum has told me to take things easy so I have took his/her advice.  Just got back from a few pints with my son where we put the world to rights.  Very enjoyable it was too :default_winko:  Anyway in my mellow mood I thought I would show you this plant we have growing on the back fence.  Very pretty, no idea what it is but Mirical Grow sure works!  :default_biggrin: Cheers IMG_4673.thumb.JPG.3d4b59906aa5e9dd5dc01c02c351a149.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Happy said:

Anyway in my mellow mood I thought I would show you this plant we have growing on the back fence.  Very pretty, no idea what it is but Mirical Grow sure works!  :default_biggrin: Cheers

It looks like a clematis Montana to me. Or at the very least an early group 1 clematis. Not much needs to be done other than keeping it tidy. 
Mine tried to grow all along my washing line. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, kpnut said:

It looks like a clematis Montana to me. Or at the very least an early group 1 clematis. Not much needs to be done other than keeping it tidy. 
Mine tried to grow all along my washing line. 

Yea - that's what I thought - thanks:default_coat:

• Like 2

Finally getting there with the garden, I even spent an hour yesterday in the rain shredding, only a small pile left, today I hacked the rest of the hedge down and did 3 40 litre bins full of shredding once I have finished this will be spread to form a nice even later over the garden.

IMG_20240507_173114_654.jpg

IMG_20240507_173124_935.jpg

IMG_20240507_173129_184.jpg

• Like 5

Our garden is NOT maintained as a wildlife garden 

The wildlife has other ideas,

Nettles, brambles, Alexander, ivy, thistles

Deer, rabbits , foxes, stoats, pheasants, rats, mice, pigeons and multitude of other birds

• Like 2

And breathe.....

Just home from a cruise to Norway. Took the Denham Owl out through Yarmouth and headed North East a bit. Yes I did, honest. :default_icon_liar:

Ok, Fred Olsen may have had something to do with it. We actually visited Durham Cathedral on the way up to Newcastle last Thursday, cruise Friday to this morning, and Fountains Abbey on the way home to Leicester. Write up soon.:default_smiley-char054:

• Like 6

My wife informed me today (she does like to keep me informed) that today is the 48th anniversary of us becoming engaged to be married!

I do hope that in these more enlightened times that boys are educated about the dangers of letting a girl.get you drunk!

Beware!

Seriously, I am happily married... I know this because my wife told me 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Thank you for the advice about girls getting boys drunk and asking for their hands in marriage.

I will be certain to have that talk with my boys about allowing girls to get them drunk and take advantage. I shall warn these girls that I would be very cross and quite possibly become the Mum from hell :default_biggrin:

Having said that, if the boys were to be accosted in such a way which results in them being together for over 48 years with said girl, that is some mean feat. Congratulations Ray!

Grace x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Started well with a blast out on the bike this morning before work, did my 4 hours for friday and had another blast afterwards with an aim to ride by my late Mums house to see if it was lived in yet(housing partnership house and yes it is lived in), on the return run on the way through a village had slowed to civilised speeds and came to a halt behind a van and trailer that was stopping, next thing I know is reversing lights with no idea there was a bike behind despite shouting obscenities like "excuse me old chap I'd rather not be run over" (honest like...), next thing it was still coming backwards and the front wheel had been caught by the trailer and it was going over and under the trailer, a rapid decamp and more shouting and he finally realised what was happening behind and stopped.

Luckily apart from a bruised leg I'd got away with it but front mudguard was mullered along with a few other scrapes down the side and general battle wounds, have to say he was most apologetic and seemed a decent guy once I'd stopped shouting rude words at him, took some pics and got details and I think it will be sorted without any claims on insurance but could have done without for sure, I did envisage going under the trailer with the bike.

Most annoyingly all the cars I'd overtook before the village went past and it looked like I'd just ridden into the back of it! :default_icon_cry:

Bike was still ridable home despite front mudguard remains flapping in the wind, now chilling after a pub visit, think I'll be back there later... :default_beerchug:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

Oh Smogs, I am so pleased you are okay. When I read what happened it sent chills down my spine

I was driving along the Marsh road to Eastbourne a few years ago now, although I never saw it happen, just moments after. There was a Lorry up on the embankment with a mangled bike under it's back wheels and someone lying in the road. It didn't look good for that poor person.

I know lots of our members have bikes who I'm sure are responsible road users, unfortunately some road users are not, they are the ones that can cause you to have an accident no matter how responsible you are

Please keep safe on your bikes

Thank goodness Smogs is okay, I'd miss his awful jokes terribly :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Smoggy

Marge and myself are sorry it happened but are really pleased your OK shaken not stirred. Let's hope  that all gets sorted amicably as insurance companies don't seem to worry about fault they just use any circumstance to open both parties wallets. 

Take care and kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Love 2

Fell in a bucket of crap and came up smelling of roses.....

The guy that reversed into me was asking if I was into british super bikes, I now have an email address for a guy in Bennetts(who sponsor the british super bikes series) who is expecting my email to sort a full hospitality meet with a lap in the safety car. :default_biggrin:

Cadwell park was a recommendation but it's in the middle of a planned boaty holiday, now snetterton is the closest and falls good for us so just got to check with dog sitter before emailing, could borrow the company van for the weekend and chuck a couple of airbeds and a portapotti in the back for camping, what's not to like.

That's worth a bruised leg and a front mudguard.

Ironically no insurance company will be involved claim wise but an insurance company will be providing the hospitality! :default_biggrin::default_beerchug:

• Like 10

This entry is more like ‘my weekend’ rather than ‘my day’. It’s turning out to be an eventful one.

Some of you may have picked up on my references to going up to Anglesey to check up on Graham’s Dad. Yesterday, my father in law was, at long last, transferred to a mental hospital, as the social workers managed to work with the health professionals to agree formally that it’s too risky for him to stay in his own home (it needed three different professionals to assess him, as he didn’t go willingly…i.e. he got sectioned).

So, this morning I took a trip to Northampton to see him. Yes…you did read that correctly. Apparently, Northampton was the nearest place to Holyhead to have an available bed. Rather handy for us, as it’s less than half an hour to Northampton, compared with the five hours plus journey to Anglesey. Anyway, it’s a big relief that he’s now somewhere safe. 

Speaking of Anglesey, that’s where I’m off to tomorrow. His social worker had locked up the house, but has warned us that it needs an urgent clean, especially the kitchen which has a lot of foodstuff strewn about, and is consequently fly infested. I’m so looking forward to it (not!). Graham can’t come with me either, as his induction programme as a newly elected local borough councillor starts on Monday.

Wish me luck in tackling the flies!

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

Good luck Helen, not a nice task. It is sad that it has come to this but he will be safer and looked after 24/7. Hopefully they may move him to a suitable nursing home near to you  in the future.  That will take a lot of stress off of you.

• Love 2

I’m very glad to hear this Helen as although not what either of you would really have wanted for Graham’s father in normal circumstances, it’ll be so much safer for him and so much less of a worry for you both. 

I would say enjoy your trip to Anglesey, but that’s not really appropriate. So good luck and it’ll hopefully be the last cleanup operation you have to do. 

• Love 1

Helen, I loved your post because your post is full of love. I'm so pleased you and your family have your Father in Law in a safe place. I don't envy you your task but at least you can feel assured that he is being looked after, bless you and bless him

Take care always

Love Grace x

• Love 1

Well our day yesterday, we decided to head for the beach and froze our bits off :default_biggrin: Although it was bright sunshine, the breeze was a tad cool so had a Latte, sat for an hour and headed home.  I do wonder if weather forecasters actually know anything about the weather :facepalm:

Have a great Sunday

Grace x

• Like 3

Yesterday went by in a bit of a blur,  first I was at lidles 8am when they opened, then on to asda, home at 9am, grab my bits ( pre packed  rucksack  and on the bike to the repair  cafe, spent a few hours fixing things, then home by 1pm, when I got in the car drove via the diversion to Ashford to take dad shopping,  home again at 5pm, threw tea in the oven, ready to leave at 6.30 for our astronomy  agm, home at 10.30pm, head hit the pillow and I didn't stir until 6am.

• Like 1

I had a good journey up to Anglesey (don’t tell Graham, but I enjoyed driving the whole way for a change). I went straight to Dad’s house, my reasoning being, if I could bin the food that was attracting flies today, it will be an easier environment to work in tomorrow. So I did that and filled his general waste wheelie bin. I checked in with some neighbours…unfortunately the next collection for that bin is in a fortnight’s time, so any other waste I generate will have to be taken to what I call ‘the dump’ (as in ‘Stig of the Dump’…one of my favourite books ever) but is nowadays known as the recycling centre. I also hung up some of those old fashioned fly papers, and managed not to get myself stuck to them (they are very sticky!). 

I knew I wouldn’t be able to face staying in Dad’s house this evening, so booked a Travelodge. I’m hoping that my cousin will be back in Holyhead tomorrow, so that I can stay with her.

It’s very odd being here by myself. Missing Graham very much. (And the dogs:default_biggrin:.)

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

Well done Helen, but a fruitful day. 

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

as in ‘Stig of the Dump’…one of my favourite books ever)

Me too. Our class reading book in the equivalent of yr 5, age 9. 

9 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Well done Helen, but a fruitful day. 

Me too. Our class reading book in the equivalent of yr 5, age 9. 

I think I first read it at that age. I found it was a book worth re-reading as an adult…though I must admit I love children’s literature. 

• Love 1