My Day

LizG

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I nipped into Leicester to play trains with the Leicester Society of Model Engineers today. I messaged Mrs Raser to say I'm on the way home, from St Margaret's bus station. "I'm at St Marg.." at which point my phone suggested text gave me "MargeandParge". I think someone from the forum may be taking over the World. :default_party0018:

It certainly ain't Marge and Parge as we wouldn't know what to do with it. When in our view the next world leader should be a pot hole filler preferably with a planer, paver and an unlimited supply of hot roll tarmac. We would vote them in tomorrow. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3

Oh Grendel, big hugs. B***** cheeky so and so’s 
The very reason I hate anyone else doing work for us, it’s unnerving even when the job is a good one. You’re on tenterhooks till complete. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

I did find out what a D10 notice was- its part of a divorce proceeding, I did wonder why it sounded vaguely familiar.

Given rats infamous infidelity, it can hardly be surprising to find D10s all over the show. 

Unless you are being held co-respondant you need not be concerned 

• Like 1

well I managed 3 hours, mostly moving hedge clippings, back into the garden off of the grassed area by the footpath, about the first hour I was also feeding the shredder, but realised that if I kept that up, then i wouldnt get the grass cleared before I ran out of steam. the Ryobi shredder I bought has a 40 litre collection box, and I filled that 5 times, apparently without denting the massive pile of clippings, it will shred up to 45mm dia branches, so pretty decent for the price, anything that wont fit will be chopped into firewood and stored for next winter. It was at this point the nosey neighbours mum announced that her boyfriend was in the gardening business and was going to offer to clear it for me, well a shame he didnt offer earlier and save me the hassle.

All the trimmings will be chipped and the chips spread out over the garden to mulch back in. at least now with the shredder I have a way of disposing of the garden waste (i dont fill my green bin often enough to warrent paying for it to be emptied, and when I do a clearout- its not big enough for all the waste.)

the good news is the garden is now back to manageable (well will be once I have finished shredding)

• Like 5

I enjoyed the latest Woburn Sands Band concert this afternoon/ early evening. Harry plays 3rd cornet on the band.

Normally, the programme features photos of all the players. This time one of the tuba players had drawn a cartoon of each player. Harry was asked what his hobbies were. He mentioned boating, adding that he'd needed his wellies last time. 

PXL_20240421_203655656.thumb.jpg.2901dfc62c9521fc166eeb17752cc613.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just joined the National Trust again. We were members but didn't like the way they spend their money and still don't, but we want to enjoy our retirement and it will benefit us.

And talking of clickbait: NT used to have promotions so I seached for NT discount codes. The Telegraph, the Sun, Daily Mail and the Independant all come up along with the regular voucher pedalling sites, all "suggesting" 25 - 30% off some memberships during April. They all link you directly to the NT's own membership page where the only discount is for exsisting members over 60 with 3 years previous consecutive membership.

• Like 1

"They all link you directly to the NT's own membership page where the only discount is for exsisting members over 60 with 3 years previous consecutive membership."

I looked into National Trust membership now I'm retired but decided not to join as that seemed particularly stingy. 

• Like 2

We are members of both English Heritage and the National Trust, paid by monthly direct debit in both cases, so the cost is spread over the year. We spent today at Walmer Castle, guests of EH and visited the newly opened Lord Warden's apartments (surprisingly modest) and the beautiful gardens. Although I despise the  "wokery" which seems to have taken over the NT, I think both organisations do a great job in preserving the nation's heritage for future generations and as retirees, we certainly get good value out of our membership.  

• Like 3

It's really a good idea to know what "woke" means before using it constantly in the pejorative just because it has become common to do so in certain circles.

Here’s how the OED defines it.

woke, adjective: Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; frequently in stay woke.

How many members here would like to be thought of as someone not caring about discrimination and injustice?

• Like 4

In terms of wokeness, I don’t want to get political, but I’m concerned that there is a trend to suppress certain historical artefacts and to rewrite history to fit with a certain agenda, which is not good.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

In terms of wokeness, I don’t want to get political, but I’m concerned that there is a trend to suppress certain historical artefacts and to rewrite history to fit with a certain agenda, which is not good.

And, the more the ‘wokerati’ tell us that we have to conform to their thinking, the more resentment will be generated amongst people who don’t need to be told how to think, because they are already able to distinguish between what’s right and wrong for themselves. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

And, the more the ‘wokerati’ tell us that we have to conform to their thinking, the more resentment will be generated amongst people who don’t need to be told how to think, because they are already able to distinguish between what’s right and wrong for themselves. 

Absolutely agree, which may come as a surprise given my post above 🙂 I simply take issue with the way that the whole concept of woke has been turned on it's head to be seen as something bad.

Whoever tells us what to do or think are dictators, as you say we don't need or want telling and in a way that's the point. By all means fight extremist factions be they Left, Right, Religious or Conspiracy Theorists etc. but nearly every decent person is by definition somewhat woke.

On another thread there is a list of modern terms and saying that get under people's skin, maybe I should have posted this there......

"So, at the end of the day, I ran it up the flagpole but no one saluted, er my bad, you know 😂"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

By all means fight extremist factions be they Left, Right, Religious or Conspiracy Theorists etc.

Can't agree with that

If we fight conspiracy theorists they'll only complain we're ganging up on them.

• Haha 8

16 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Can't agree with that

If we fight conspiracy theorists they'll only complain we're ganging up on them.

The great one going around on social media at the moment is jet planes cloud seeding.

Must be true because it was posted by George down the road who got a D in woodwork.

Says Mandy who got a C in Domestic science, so must be a scientist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

The great one going around on social media at the moment is jet planes cloud seeding.

Must be true because it was posted by George down the road who got a D in woodwork.

Says Mandy who got a C in Domestic science, so must be a scientist.

At least they are useful it could have been worst with someone with a degree in diversity and inclusion!

• Like 4

Spent the morning servicing my engine and just updated the online service record to preserve the warranty.

Off for a pump out at Sutton Staithe and to see if they want any waste oil!  Think I’ll head to Barton Broad after, drop the weight, open a bottle of red and binge on Netflix for the rest of the day!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Think I’ll head to Barton Broad after, drop the weight, open a bottle of red and binge on Netflix for the rest of the day!

Change the bottle of red to a bottle of Prosecco and that describes a perfect afternoon. Oh and some nibbles, a soppy romantic film (none of that macho stuff) or a rom com :default_biggrin:

Enjoy!

Grace x

• Like 2
  • Love 1

At Broadland model Railway club, this morning, preparing to..

Fit a new sink !

This evening a briefing of Saturdays Horning Sailing club, for club members on duty at the boat show on Saturday.

Just polished my shoes for attendance at the radar museum tomorrow, and my boots for Saturday.. Don't I have an exciting life!!!

Anyone at the show I should be at HSC gates on car park duty.. say hello!!

Ps, our car park is club members, disabled and swan green exhibitors only. Parking for visitors is the Swan car park, the recreation ground car park, and bewilderwood car park. ( There is a shuttle bus to bewilderwood .)

• Like 2

As a devout fair weather motorcyclist, I choose my days to go for a ride very carefully.  With four complete months of the year already gone, I thought that today would be a good day to get my bike out of winter hibernation.  The forecast was good, no rain showing and warm temperatures.  Happy days.

I wasn’t sure where I was heading - just to get out after such a seemingly long, wet winter and spring would be a bonus.  It had crossed my mind to head for Ranworth.  A coffee at The Granary appealed, but I decided to nosy round some of the countryside near home.  I took the scenic route, passing Bodney Camp, turning onto the A1065 towards Swaffham, before heading through Cockley Cley to Stoke Ferry.

As I neared Mundford, the heavens opened.  I wasn’t amused.  I shortened my intended ride and headed back home.  The rain stopped as I passed the Desert Rats memorial and when I arrived home, the wife told me it hadn’t rained there at all!  Grrrrr!

I’m not keen on getting wet when out on the bike and really don’t like having to clean it, but after lunch spent about two and a half hours bringing the old girl back to her pristine best.

Better luck next time, perhaps.

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1