My Day

LizG

My var’s turn for its MoT today.  The nearest main agent is in Norwich, so I dropped it off this morning before 10:00, collected a courtesy car and drove to the marina to give Norfolk Lady some much needed tlc.

The grey/green parts of the superstructure were compounded and waxed, leaving the roof over the helm to do hopefully next week.  It was hard work, but the old girl looks much better for it!

The car passed its MoT with no advisories, by the way!

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.7da90372a28ebc4440cac87c968f4da5.jpeg

IMG_0388.thumb.jpeg.e93dfc0fbd8636815a619ba1188a17b4.jpeg

IMG_0389.thumb.jpeg.8ad28bbfbf1b1f4faedad83e541986f0.jpeg

IMG_0390.thumb.jpeg.17ad73c8cf69570dd33e9fece515f193.jpeg

• Like 7

Thought I would put this here as my day Monday was servicing our boiler, cooker and room heater . Chimney and flue swept fire box re bricked and good to go.:default_biggrin:. There is another boiler thread going on and honestly I have no idea as all I have to do is add wood.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

20230628_163314.jpg

20230628_163301.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Jason was back yesterday to install the granite hearth and returned this morning to fit the chimney liner and log burner!  It’s a dramatic change from the ancient gas fire and eighties fireplace that was here before and we’re very pleased with the finished job.  All I have to do now is decorate, get new carpet, furniture and settees, not to mention a log store and logs, ready for the winter!

The further I get into retirement, the more I wonder how I found time to work as well.  I’m off for a sit down to think about it (before I take three big bags of garden rubbish to the tip)! 🤨

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

• Like 8

My weekend, it was keelboat weekend at Horning, 2 races Saturday, 4 races Sunday.

Blue Moon went surprisingly well, she was able to keep up with the opposition up wind, which is good for a boat 7% slower on handicap, down wind the opposition's longer length, they have a hull of 20ft against BMs 16ft, really paid off and BM really got left behind.

Had a good tussle with LizG at one point.. as we went tack for tack up river ... 

I believe Liz won her boats class for the event..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My weekend, it was keelboat weekend at Horning, 2 races Saturday, 4 races Sunday.

Blue Moon went surprisingly well, she was able to keep up with the opposition up wind, which is good for a boat 7% slower on handicap, down wind the opposition's longer length, they have a hull of 20ft against BMs 16ft, really paid off and BM really got left behind.

Had a good tussle with LizG at one point.. as we went tack for tack up river ... 

I believe Liz won her boats class for the event..

It was brilliant weekend to be honest!  Yes I remember our tussle well and yes I did win the White Boat class trophy!! But by a whisker all down to the last race when I came first.  I was level pegging on points with Scarce Copper at the end of the weekend but because I had 2 firsts I won!  A bit breezy at times but nothing more spectacular than getting a white boat on the plane coming down the Reach!!!

Correction to Q only 3 races on Sunday!!!

• Like 2

Get your logs soon Malcolm as they are often not as dry as they should be, store under cover but with good airflow.

Most of my wood I get still green but I try to work at least 2 winters ahead so it's all well seasoned by the time it's needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well that was fortunate, went out for my short flat run again (8.7 mile) this means I have clocked over 400 miles since I got this bike, last week I fitted the handlebar riser, this gives me an extra 3" handlebar height, and stops me having to lean my weight on my wrists, but back to the fortunate, as I neared home it started spitting, I was no more than slightly damp when I got indoors, now its raining quite persistently. good job I didnt pick a longer route.

• Like 4

On 30/06/2023 at 11:52, Mouldy said:

Jason was back yesterday to install the granite hearth and returned this morning to fit the chimney liner and log burner!

That looks nice Malcolm. 

Here’s ours, about 25 years old. Tony built the whole thing with help lining the flue from an installer. 

68C84AEA-E2ED-4797-8B1F-A580364E09A8.thumb.jpeg.62cf7fea9ea38f62a7df816729d45dda.jpeg

We get through that basket of logs on the left each night. Our wood all comes from Tony’s hedgelaying jobs so a right mixture. We have it stored in various stores around the garden and allotments so it all gets well seasoned before use on rotation. 

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Most of my wood I get still green but I try to work at least 2 winters ahead so it's all well seasoned by the time it's needed.

It’s very true that some woods are much brighter, hotter burning than others, so choose carefully from your supplier. There are a number of websites that’ll tell you what’s what. 

We have to leave the living room door open when it’s lit, and if I light it in winter about half an hour before the boiler is due to come on at 5pm, the whole house heats up enough for the radiators not to come on. Saves us a lot of money I expect. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Is it just me that thought "I bet those speakers sound good" ? :default_norty:

The speakers are better than the source at the moment.  I’m currently using a Denon DM41 DAB, which for the money is hard to fault, but when my wallet recovers from recent expenditure, I hope to upgrade to separates.

I’ll have to make a good job of the decorating and then sweet talk the wife!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Please send instructions on how to sweet talk a wife.

Kindest Regards Parge 

It’s getting more and more difficult.  Her ability to detect bovine excrement seems to have become more acute just lately.  I’ll let you know how I get on, when the times right! :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The speakers are better than the source at the moment.  I’m currently using a Denon DM41 DAB, which for the money is hard to fault, but when my wallet recovers from recent expenditure, I hope to upgrade to separates.

I’ll have to make a good job of the decorating and then sweet talk the wife!

I've got the DM38 in the loft, they are indeed great for the money (and nice and compact).

These days I've gone for convenience and mostly use Sonos, which again sound quite good for their size but there's an element of what us techies call 'vendor lock-in' with that system. Anything which has people buying into an 'ecosystem' is generally not great for the consumer.

And my old Tannoy Mercurys with the DM38 sounded richer...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

I've got the DM38 in the loft, they are indeed great for the money (and nice and compact).

These days I've gone for convenience and mostly use Sonos, which again sound quite good for their size but there's an element of what us techies call 'vendor lock-in' with that system. Anything which has people buying into an 'ecosystem' is generally not great for the consumer.

And my old Tannoy Mercurys with the DM38 sounded richer...

I bought an IKEA speaker for the boat, made by Sonos.  Sound was good, but we had issues pairing it to an iPad using my iPhone as a hotspot.  Bought a JBL Bluetooth speaker instead and it works well.  Not sure I like having to use the Sonos app with the limitations that come with it.

We had a Bose Acoustimass system in our old house, but it would have been a bit over the top in our bungalow.  Just settled on the Denon/Wharfedale system for now, but I do want to upgrade the CD player and amp at some stage, hopefully with streaming capability too.

We’ll have to see what I can get when we’ve finished decorating our living room.

• Like 2

Yeah those Symfonisk speakers are supposed to be quite decent.

The limitation with classic Sonos devices is they're really intended to be used on a network with a number of other Sonos speakers.

The model is very much that your phone is a 'controller' whereas what most people want in the sort of environment that you describe is a bluetooth speaker where the speaker is simply outputting the audio from the mobile device.

Sonos have released the Move and Roam more recently (the Move is great, the Roam less so) and those can be used in bluetooth mode. The latest 'Era' models also allow you to connect with them via bluetooth or wifi without having to manually switch the mode like you do on the Move. 

We have a Move and it's great in the garden and also handy to take boating because no other bluetooth capable speaker sounds that good. It also has Google / Alexa and Sonos' own voice assistant (which is less good).

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 16:39, Mouldy said:

It’s getting more and more difficult.  Her ability to detect bovine excrement seems to have become more acute just lately.  I’ll let you know how I get on, when the times right! :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Best to suppy ,chocolates,flowers,wine and agree with most or all instructions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My day is counting down the time till 12.00 when I finish work today and go off to the boat for 2 weeks, gotta have a fat breakfast at work first though.... :default_biggrin:

If you see a plume of smoke on the southern rivers gimme a wave, don't call the fire brigade it's normal for old volvo's.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I bought an IKEA speaker for the boat, made by Sonos.  Sound was good, but we had issues pairing it to an iPad using my iPhone as a hotspot.  Bought a JBL Bluetooth speaker instead and it works well.  Not sure I like having to use the Sonos app with the limitations that come with it.

We had a Bose Acoustimass system in our old house, but it would have been a bit over the top in our bungalow.  Just settled on the Denon/Wharfedale system for now, but I do want to upgrade the CD player and amp at some stage, hopefully with streaming capability too.

We’ll have to see what I can get when we’ve finished decorating our living room.

If you want any cheap stuff from here: https://wilmslowaudio.co.uk/ 

I can fetch it over for you. I don't know them although they're two minutes walk from my house. I don't speak the same language. :default_icon_bowdown::default_smiley-char054: