Southern Rivers

paullinberry

Good evening all!!

I'm new to this forum, My Name is Paul, i have had many many holidays over on the Broads and very much enjoyed every visit from when i was a young child till now. my wife and i usually go and hire a boat with my parents but we have decided this year shall be going on our own for the first time (very excited :)) We are looking at venturing down to the southern rivers which i have never done,  I was just wondering any recommendation of places to go/eat/visit etc on the south rivers.

Thanks alot

-Paul :D 

It's hard to know where to start Paul, you'll discover and enjoy for yourself. There's already a mass of info here on the forum but places that come to mind to eat are Surlingham Ferry, Rush cutters at Thorpe, Commodore or Wherry Hotel at Oulton Broad, Ship at Reedham, Fisherman's at Burgh Castle. My list is by no means exclusive. 

• Like 1

Good eating by St Olave's Bridge too. Reedham Ferry & Surlingham Ferry are high on my list of must visit boozers, as are Geldeston Locks & Oulton Broad's Wherry Hotel (unless you don't like carveries) then take out a loan & visit the Ivy Farm.  The Waveney River Centre is very good, if not quite excellent, and is well worth a visit. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum 

we have a section on Pubs with a lot of information on their facilities and contact information along with a lot of other useful info including Attractions and Places to visit in our Handy Information drop down tab at the top of each page 

IMG_0082.PNG

• Like 2

Welcome Paul.There as others have said lots of good places down south.We are moored at Brundall,Just across form us is Coldham Hall very good food at drink,many beers from woodfordes and wines from Surlingham. Norwich  has everything,Oulton broad catch the train 10 minutes  to Lowerstoft. Then a visit to Beccles. 

Best wishes Ian

A very warm welcome aboard from me :default_icon_wave:

All the suggestions above and the helpful link Dave has shown you are all excellent, just like to add The Ferry at Reedham is one of my favourite Southern pubs, never had a bad meal or drink there and the staff are so nice and friendly, the location to die for too

NorfolkNog (Howard) will be able to give you more personal accounts of the Southern pubs, he and Mrs Nog are very much experts on good beers too, they've sampled one or two in their time on the rivers, I can tell you :default_drinks::default_norty:

Grace

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plenty of pub suggestions then. If I didn't know better, I would think our forum members spent all their time on the Broads imbibing! 

I would recommend a visit to Hardley Mill to see how it has been restored and how these lovely buildings worked. If you are lucky, the cafe might be open for refreshments/ice creams. There are a lot of different opinions about Norwich itself but I love the City and all it has to offer and thoroughly recommend cruising up there - assuming the boat you have hired will go under the bridges. Beccles is a particularly nice market town, for me it is one of the places that has retained its charm. And certainly get up to Geldeston if you possibly can.

The southern rivers have so much to offer and they will be quieter than the northern side. Noticeably so. :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I would recommend a visit to Hardley Mill to see how it has been restored and how these lovely buildings worked. If you are lucky, the cafe might be open for refreshments/ice creams. 

The southern rivers have so much to offer and they will be quieter than the northern side. Noticeably so. :default_biggrin:

Wholeheartedly agree.

Hardley Mill is a great stopover with the pontoon moorings and cafe.

As for the imbibing, I have no idea what you mean........ hic 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah yes but some of us check them out more than others and trip over on their way back to the boat and all sorts, eh Dave?? :default_norty:

Of course it's not all about the pubs but also the beautiful scenery to be had on the Southern rivers, not forgetting the wildlife, we've seen owls, otters, kingfishers and deer, you don't get to see that in a pub

Grace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Is the cafe at Hardley Mill new? I last went south in 2015 and I don't remember it. 

It's not exactly new. It is run by the Hardley Mill volunteers at weekends and sometimes if they vist during the week for maintenance purposes. I suspect the mill will be open daily during the school holidays however. The ladies make cakes to sell amongst other things and there are usually some ice creams in the freezer. It's all very informal as the upkeep of the mill relies on the volunteer support.

• Like 3

No mention of The New Inn at Rockland Staithe as yet? On our trip last week this was our favourite by some distance. Plus, as long as you sup, they will stay open! Unlike some other supposed top watering holes that have tumbled down our "A" list as a consequence!