Beccles - High Tide

SueH

And it's a good one.  Over the quay heading both inside the yacht Station and on the river.  It is still coming in!

Sandstar a hire from Reedham is over the quay heading and the yacht master is frantically trying to keep it away.  No sign of the crew.  We told him he needed his wellies!

Where we are is ok at the moment as it is towards the back of the river mooring and about a foot higher than the rest.  Although we are keeping a wary eye on things,  soon we'll be on our own personal island.

We have seen it high here on occasions, but not like this.  It should have told us something when we saw the flood barriers in place when we took Rosie out first thing.

Sue

P.S.  The harbour master has just taken a phone call to say the flood alert is over - as he's still trying to stop Sandstar from 'grounding'!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Do you mean the new concrete moorings created to prevent flooding and only completed this year 

Yep! 

The Sanderson boat crew has now returned and have been moved to the safety features the pontoon.  

This picture is taken from the bow of M.S. facing towards the bypass bridge.  The little boat with the blue canopy (by the seat) you can see is moored stern on on the new moorings!

DSC_0399.JPG

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SueH said:

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG

Is it just me thinking I hope the little chap doesn’t fall off the seat back :default_coat:

sorry not meaning to offend, it just reminds of the old tv program Land of the Giants (from the 70’s)

It’s hard to think we were just moored there a few weeks ago

• Like 3

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Do you mean the new concrete moorings created to prevent flooding and only completed this year 

I may be wrong, but I don't think they raised the level of the moorings to prevent flooding? I believe that they replaced the one way valves that allow rain water to drain from the grass area into the river. The previous ones had failed and as the water rose so it back filled the drain until a pond started to appear in the grass which is shaped like a shallow saucer and lower than the quay heading. The quay heading was also replaced and the concrete walkway renewed, but as I understand it, none of this was designed to prevent an overtopping flooding incident like what has just happened. I believe the replacement of the valves has been successful and prevented the drains back filling and flooding the grass.

To prevent the type of flooding seen in those pictures you need either a flood barrier at Great Yarmouth, or flood plains along the river. The flood alleviation project seems to have removed a lot of the flood plains and with no where to go the water is backing up higher into places like Beccles. I wonder if the flood prediction models predicted that? Common sense might have?

When we passed Reedham Ferry Inn yesterday morning, the ducks were swimming merrily round the lamp post near the entrance. The board moorings (empty) had almost disappeared and I did notice a big reserved sign in the middle of them. I wonder if the boat crew changed their minds!!