Interesting Swing Bridge Facts

Baitrunner

Totally stolen so hope I don't get into trouble with sharing this link.

I am sure the broom owners club will not mind.

Thought it had some useful information for anyone who has had problems getting a response on the vhf from reedham or Somerleyton!

https://broomowners.com/regions/eastern-region/eastern-region-events/825-visit-to-somerleyton-bridge

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

As someone who moors at Somerleyton, this is very interesting. Fortunately, we are able to get under the bridge at most times. Would like to add a little something for those who own big boats - please do not sit "circling" across the entrance to Somerleyton Marina whilst waiting for the bridge to open, this happens with annoying regularity. Thanks for your co-operation. No doubt this comment will provoke some incoming shell fire from the owners of the battleships! 

• Like 3

What a strange request, unfortunately for you your marina is situated within holding distance of the bridge, as you will be aware there is a considerable tide flow at certain times making holding position tricky, maybe you could paint double yellow lines across the marina entrance ?  

Thank you for posting this, as the signal box is very interesting. 

I see they still have "block" instruments to accept and offer trains in both directions and are still using block bells to communicate. There are levers for outer home, home and starter signals in both directions. There are "distant" levers but I guess these are now fixed.

There are also point levers and a facing point lock but I imagine these are no longer used.

It is fascinating to see that, in place of modern electronics, they prefer to use a tried and trusted method of railway working that goes right back to the 1920s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, socrates said:

As someone who moors at Somerleyton, this is very interesting. Fortunately, we are able to get under the bridge at most times. Would like to add a little something for those who own big boats - please do not sit "circling" across the entrance to Somerleyton Marina whilst waiting for the bridge to open, this happens with annoying regularity. Thanks for your co-operation. No doubt this comment will provoke some incoming shell fire from the owners of the battleships! 

I have jilled about near to the entrance to the marina, never thought about you good folk wishing to come out. Really no reason whatsoever why I should stay near to the entrance, plenty of room further away from the bridge. I try and not be thoughtless but obviously I have been, sorry.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I see they still have "block" instruments to accept and offer trains in both directions and are still using block bells to communicate.

right up until the mid 80's Shenfield to ingarestone, ingatestone to chelmsford to witham all still used block bells even with the paper panels from the 30/40's showing track circuits. Thats main line not a branch line as well. . So tried n tested for sure. Not sure why the EA stopped the pumping of river water to cool the rails, as there isnt any greasers on the bridge, and no need to water right on pivot point that should be well greased.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

. Not sure why the EA stopped the pumping of river water to cool the rails, as there isnt any greasers on the bridge,

Does it not rain over the bridge and that goes on the river anyway? :default_badday:

Barton Swing Bridge near the Trafford Centre the fire brigade are usually out over summer getting that to open/close

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have jilled about near to the entrance to the marina, never thought about you good folk wishing to come out. Really no reason whatsoever why I should stay near to the entrance, plenty of room further away from the bridge. I try and not be thoughtless but obviously I have been, sorry.

Thanks very much, maybe you could pass it on. When the tide is running fast, boats can come out of there like a cork out a bottle, they can't always see what is outside until too late. Not everyone comes out slowly because the entrance is narrow shallow at the sides so the bigger boats tend to go out of Somerleyton at speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Thank you for posting this, as the signal box is very interesting. 

I see they still have "block" instruments to accept and offer trains in both directions and are still using block bells to communicate. There are levers for outer home, home and starter signals in both directions. There are "distant" levers but I guess these are now fixed.

There are also point levers and a facing point lock but I imagine these are no longer used.

It is fascinating to see that, in place of modern electronics, they prefer to use a tried and trusted method of railway working that goes right back to the 1920s.

Not for much longer, this region is being modified to all electronic as we speak... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not for much longer, this region is being modified to all electronic as we speak... 

Does that mean the current semaphore style signals will be replaced by lights? There is something much more aesthetically pleasing about the semaphore signals. Whilst I would not consider myself a railway enthusiast, I do rather enjoy the sight of an old diesel locomotive throbbing across Somerleyton Bridge past the semaphore signals, it contributes to the atmosphere of the Broads. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

What a strange request, unfortunately for you your marina is situated within holding distance of the bridge, as you will be aware there is a considerable tide flow at certain times making holding position tricky, maybe you could paint double yellow lines across the marina entrance ?  

I don't understand why this is such a "strange request", I am simply pointing out something which is a potential hazard to river users. Those waiting for the Bridge, to open are sometimes oblivious to boats leaving the marina at Somerleyton. All people need to do is to wait clear of the entrance, I would have thought this was a fairly simple thing to do. Forgive me if my relative lack of experience of boating on the Broads has misjudged the perilous possibilities of a disaster for a boat waiting  a few yards away from the entrance in order that she could be seen in good time by those leaving the marina.

Furthermore, I hardly think your suggestion to "...paint double yellow lines across the marina entrance." is practical or permissible.

• Thanks 1

Yes all the semaphores will go, I'm not sure how far they are going, but you could lose all signals if they move to electronic "tokens" and "radio control" (spoken to the driver not remotely controlled) as they have done in the highlands.

Firstly I don't see the need for boats to shoot out of the marina like a cork out of a bottle, a tad of care doesn't go amiss! However, neither do I see the need for boats to crowd the marina entrance whilst waiting for the bridge to open. Surely a more seaman like option would be to turn and go down stream a hundred yards or so before turning back and even repeating the manourve?  Us sailing boaters might have an excuse if the tide is foul but even then we can surely leave the exit clear. Rather than holding a position it is generally far easier to maintain steerage whilst under way. However, if folk insist on holding a position then why do they not do it away from the entrance?

I hate signs but rather than double yellow lines, impractical at best, perhaps a 'Please don't obstruct the marina entrance' sign wouldn't go amiss.

Strange request, not really and probably less so than the strange comment that resulted!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Or why not loop a line round one of the dolphins, which were put there for that purpose, and wait out the time in comfort?

You are not going to disturb any coaster traffic nowadays, after all!

I suppose this could be a problem if the tide is going with you :default_icon_wave:

My comments about the double yellow lines were a bit flippant, apologies.

however, still think it was a strange request, please keep clear of my marina so we can shoot out like a cork from a bottle ? 

If a few boats at the entrance to your marina are a problem to you,  good luck up north in the school holidays !