Health And Safety

During a conversation with younger members of the family.

I recalled the way my grandmother used to light her fire in the mid 60's I was about 10.

It was a back boiler, a Baxi Bermuda, I think.

She had a gas poker that was connected by a rubber hose to a gas tap next to the fire, then put under the heap of coke(free) to light the fire.

It must be a good system because after about an hour she opened the windows because the bungalow was too hot.

Now the question is would this system pass the BSS?

She was in her late 60's when she used this system, recommended by the gas board and fitted by the council. Where can I get would fitted to our boat?

She also used to climb on a chair to undo the light bulb to plug her iron into the socket.

She lived until her late 80's after breaking her hip on a day trip to Southport when running to cross the road and fell, she died 2 years later.

Are we a little too safety aware now?

paul

• Like 4

I think we are too safety aware, it's gone crazy now, conkers being banned in the school playground in case the children get hit in the face, how unbelievable is that? :facepalm:

Your Grandmother lived into her eighties doing what she did, we wouldn't do that now days in case we broke a nail :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 4

in some respects health and safety is now a bit overzealous, however, reduced accidental death figures do support their policies, the workplace (especially in construction) is now a safer place to work. it used to be the most dangerous profession, for bad falls, now I am told it is window cleaners (the sort that go from house to house) - with falls from ladders.

my parents are now in their eighties, yet all their life everything has been unplugged before they go to bed, my mother wont have a washing machine (electricity + water = bad) but still has a gas copper for boiling the sheets, this plugs into a gas outlet on the cooker (the trouble they had getting a new cooker that supported an external gas outlet to plug this into)

Speaking as one who has worked in the UK aggregate industry for the past 37 years, I have seen some changes but always applied the "common sense" rule.  Asphalt Plants, RMX and quarries are dangerous places and now we are all tasked to make sure everyone goes home safe.

Yes. it has gone overboard to the point where things seem daft.  Even our local infants school have door fittings to make sure children can't get their fingers trapped.  We got ours trapped in my day and yes it hurt!!  Never did it again though.

Common Sense is so important and also knowing what hurts and injures is vital.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

I recalled the way my grandmother used to light her fire in the mid 60's I was about 10.

She had a gas poker that was connected by a rubber hose to a gas tap next to the fire, then put under the heap of coke(free) to light the fire.

It must be a good system because after about an hour she opened the windows because the bungalow was too hot.

Now the question is would this system pass the BSS?

She was in her late 60's when she used this system, recommended by the gas board and fitted by the council. Where can I get would fitted to our boat?

She also used to climb on a chair to undo the light bulb to plug her iron into the socket.

She lived until her late 80's after breaking her hip on a day trip to Southport when running to cross the road and fell, she died 2 years later.

Are we a little too safety aware now?

paul

Gas poker... luxury.

We had to take a shovel to the main fire, carry some of the burning embers into the next room to start the new fire.

31 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Gas poker... luxury.

We had to take a shovel to the main fire, carry some of the burning embers into the next room to start the new fire.

Mmmm wonder if the gas poker would work on my boat to light the stove ? Not too sure I'll be trying it elf n safety n all that , oh n an extremely cross BSS man who would no doubt explode seeing that :default_beerchug:

10 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Mmmm wonder if the gas poker would work on my boat to light the stove ? Not too sure I'll be trying it elf n safety n all that , oh n an extremely cross BSS man who would no doubt explode seeing that :default_beerchug:

Agreed, I'm sure one would work, I would just question the use from a compliance point of view.  

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Can any of you remember the electric gas pokers, they were supposed to be a safer option.

How many of you have lit the fire with paper and sticks and held a sheet of newspaper in front of the fire surround to help draw the fire?

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Yep! And usually most annoyed as the article I was reading disappeared up the chimney in a ball of flame.

Done that.

On 14/01/2018 at 20:29, ZimbiIV said:

She had a gas poker that was connected by a rubber hose to a gas tap next to the fire, then put under the heap of coke(free) to light the fire

I can remember the house my parents moved into in 1970 we had the gas poker, also remember my grans cooker having something the same fixed to the cooker but got removed when they went to nat gas (think that was it). On shore regs changed in late 80's to do with any gas line has to have a flame arrester inline. I sold loads to foundries where they had them in use.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:29, ZimbiIV said:

I'm sure and can confidently say it's a big No No to that question. I know I'm not qualified in that area but experience working with heating engineers would suggest to me it's not allowed anymore.