Broads Toll

SueH

At the end of the day if you enjoy your time boating on the Broads you have to pay. There is no mileage complaining about it, maybe if I had to pay the full amount rather than a share in it I would have more to complain about.

We all have hobbies, activities and maybe collect things, these are the things that make life special to us, if boating is your bag then enjoy, chill out and relax on the water.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

I doubt that you'd complain, Alan, because even paying for the toll, insurance, maintenance (I did a lot myself as you do) and the BIG cost, marina moorings I still had change from £3000.. not a lot but enough for the odd replacement whatsit.

Considering we'd get at least 10 weeks a year that's not too bad, really.    :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JohnK said:

Very old and knackered 4.4 V8 Petrol Discovery 3 and even older and more knackered 5.0 V8 merc.
I’m not on strong ground arguing my green credentials emoji57.png

Forget the road tax! How much petrol do you get through? Sure I don’t argue green cridentials either, but I got rid of my diesel disco because I only got 20MPG out of it!

6 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Forget the road tax! How much petrol do you get through? Sure I don’t argue green cridentials either, but I got rid of my diesel disco because I only got 20MPG out of it!

You must have had a heavy foot my Diesel Landrover 110 with a disco engine in it, does 32MPG,

The road tax for the 110 and the Elysian 27 are almost the same...

27 minutes ago, TheQ said:

£293 for electric boat plus tender, only about another 187 years before the reduction in tax against the cost of going electric pays for itself.

The other cost of going electric is the lack of 'fuel' stations and whether there is room to plug in when you do find one. Thankfully, in this case, a handy fossil user was to hand.

P9241748.JPG

We try not to mention that My better half is an accountant so she tries to mention it a lot and make me drive her Devil Spawn Astra
15mpg from the disco just over 20 from the Merc (both auto). Both better than the petrol disco 2 I used to have that got 12!
I work in the premise that two unreliable cars are nearly as reliable as one reliable one and the money I don’t lose on depreciation pays for a lot of fuel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Sorry I steered the topic off to road type stuff, which actually I try to avoid for health reasons. 

The point has been made already that every hobby has expense, and you pay as much as you can afford for your enjoyment and in this case your anticipated usage of the Broads.

For me, buying a boat, knowing how expensive it would be, was a health investment, the need for relaxation. 

It could cost twice as much and I would still think it worth it.

• Like 4

For me the toll is less than 10% of the total cost to run & maintain the boat for a year, so an inflation level, or even a bit more (as long as I can see a corresponding increase in benefit on the navigation) is not a problem.

Just received my toll renewal the other day. A few days later than last year when it arrived on Valentine's day! :default_laugh:

There is a link to the latest copy of the Broadsheet Newsletter. Very interesting piece on the bottom half of the last page!!! Probably about as close as they could go without actually naming companies!!

On 19/02/2018 at 15:48, SueH said:

Well, I've just received the invoice for Moonlight Shadow's Broads Toll.

£569 and a bit.

BA can be very organised sometimes .....

A bit too soon even by my early payment standards to cough up me-thinks.

Good job BCBM reimburse quickly, that is quite a large chunk to come out of our account. 

Another good reason to be partners in a syndicate boat. (Hint, Hint!)

Sue

Just an observation, BCBM being a management company why are you paying the Toll to have them reimburse it to you?!