Higher Tolls Or More Boats?

JohnK

For the sake of argument let’s assume that if we wanted less boats on the Broads we’d have to pay higher tolls to cover the fixed costs.

Conversely if we wanted to pay lower tolls we’d need more boats to cover the costs.

If it really was that simple which would you pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd keep it the same as it is now but with increases linked to the annual rate of inflation.  I'd also like 'Tampax Towers' (Yare House or whatever it is called nowadays) to have a Bobby Charlton - that is do some serious thinning out of the back-room shiny trouser brigade then ring fence 100% of toll income raised to be spent solely on the navigation.

You know, the kind of set up we used to have

Griff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I wrote to the Broads Authority asking if they would consider reducing the tolls on vintage Broads boats in the same way the DVLA reduce the road tax for vintage cars. After all, it was the BA person who compared Broads Tolls to the Car Tax. I was told in no uncertain terms that they would not even entertain such an idea. Was worth a try.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wrote to the Broads Authority asking if they would consider reducing the tolls on vintage Broads boats in the same way the DVLA reduce the road tax for vintage cars. After all, it was the BA person who compared Broads Tolls to the Car Tax. I was told in no uncertain terms that they would not even entertain such an idea. Was worth a try.

I think I’ll ask them if they’ll put up the tolls for polluting diesels so they can reduce it for nice clean petrols and electric like mine.
That’s the same for cars too isn’t it?

• Haha 2

kBTW, I would keep it the same but look at increasing the tolls for the massive battle cruisers which are clearly not designed for the Broads. You know the sort? The one's that are designed to go to sea but just cruise the Yare at great speed and look down at everyone else from their oversized fly bridges. The skipper usually wears strawberry coloured trousers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, socrates said:

Perhaps when a boat become antique. Fifty years is nothing, half the sailing boats on the Broads must be fifty plus!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, socrates said:

kBTW, I would keep it the same but look at increasing the tolls for the massive battle cruisers which are clearly not designed for the Broads. You now the sort? The one's that are designed to go to sea but just cruise the Yare at great speed and look down at everyone else from their oversized fly bridges. The skipper usually wears strawberry coloured trousers.

They sometimes change colour, just before they reach Gorleston Bar for the first and last time! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps when a boat become antique. Fifty years is nothing, half the sailing boats on the Broads must be fifty plus!

Indeed, even my floating margarine tub is 45 years old :default_biggrin:

7 hours ago, JohnK said:

For the sake of argument let’s assume that if we wanted less boats on the Broads we’d have to pay higher tolls to cover the fixed costs.

Conversely if we wanted to pay lower tolls we’d need more boats to cover the costs.

If it really was that simple which would you pick?

In fact we have both, surely?

The yards are selling off old boats and building new ones while tolls also go up and up.    :default_mellow:

• Like 2

If we keep with the DVLA arguement then sailboats with engines should pay no toll, because they’re hybrids. Can but hope!

Ah but does a tacking sailboat cause other boats to use more fuel trying to avoid them negating the benefit?

Here's a question for you all. Maybe someone can answer it :default_cool:

JP proclaimed that the 'new' toll structure would encourage

more small boats to The Broads  with the newer, lower tolls

for that catagory. Did that happen or, dare I say it, that was 

just another of his 'smoke screens' to 'justify' the increases

for the majority of us? Anyone know the numbers for each?

• Thanks 1

Vaughan, I didn’t read the figures in detail but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of variable costs does there?

Even the moorings wouldn’t be entirely variable based on the number of boats would they? You could have smaller moorings but less mooring sites wouldn’t be entirely acceptable would they? I suspect maintaining a mooring with ten berths would be a lot more than half the cost of maintaining the same mooring with twenty berths.

Here's a question for you all. Maybe someone can answer it :default_cool:
JP proclaimed that the 'new' toll structure would encourage
more small boats to The Broads  with the newer, lower tolls
for that catagory. Did that happen or, dare I say it, that was 
just another of his 'smoke screens' to 'justify' the increases
for the majority of us? Anyone know the numbers for each?

Looks like it happened:
454ddc149e45d7a7ff4bd7897b024281.jpg
BA’s own numbers but they’d be the only people with the numbers wouldn’t they?

• Thanks 1