Trixie (Rascal's Fleet)

18 minutes ago, Islander said:

WD40 has many uses in the mechanical world but be very careful where you use it in electronics. As mentioned it will degrade some plastics and rubber will absorb it and swell up. This can actually cause items to stick more than be freed.

Dave I would be interested to know what Bete mean by switch gear.  As for waterproofing and rust prevention it's great.

Robin, your Mr Sheen may just do the trick:default_icon_e_biggrin:.

Good point: it should be added to the cautions on the can that as a mid ocean fix it should not be regarded as permanent 

10 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

So, by the sound of it then I should just use Mr Sheen lol

Noooooooo.......

Mr Sheen contains silicones which are insulators and are known to be attacted to electric contacts, Silicone aerosols are banned from electronics rooms for that reason (or should be)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Silicone polish contamination can cause all sorts of problems should a surface need to be painted in the future. 

Like electronics silicone sprays are banned from paint manufacturing plants.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I know that this will go against the grain with many boaters but I use gin as cleaner both on contacts and small machine parts:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

Is that with or without tonic? I have to say I consider that an awful waste of gin! :default_sad:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I have no idea personally, but several people have kindly giving me some hints and tips to try. Without any means to test electrics as my test gear is on Independence I have done all I could over the weekend which has been to have the domestic batteries changed.  I worried that when the boat is not being run we are low on domestic voltage but this is going on a very old volt meter on the DC Distribution Panel which itself has a number of breakers which are stuck on or off unless you give them a jolly good press and wriggle to free them up. This tells me that they have had very little use and the previous owners left all on and just used the main DC isolator switch to cut power to everything when they left the boat and has resulted in the push button breakers getting stiff out of lack of use over time.

Instead of trying to guess and figure things out over time, I have just emailed George at Ludham Bridge Boatyard and updated him with an added list of items to look into and fix if needed. If there is going to be an issue I doubt it is going to now be with the batteries, it may be poor connections, corroded terminals/wires etc or a faulty Alternator or Regulator.

To be honest I am putting a lot of more time into this boat than I perhaps should, but that is because this is not what is pressing right now to my Mum and Stepdad who are currently taking a lot of time and money having nearly half an acre of garden sorted out and new boundary fencing going up and they don't need boating issues added on, so I am taking care (through LBBY) of things so they can get a very sound and reliable boat that is turn key ready whenever they want to use it.

There is a very cheap way to restore the condition of batteries and that is to put salt into each of the cells.

But the practice is illegal as you could be prosecuted for assalt in battery.

8 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I know that this will go against the grain with many boaters but I use gin as cleaner both on contacts and small machine parts:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

When I was in Germany we used to use Vodka in our car's screenwash as anti-freeze :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Amazon have delivered some bits, I decided against Mr Sheen to clean contacts after all. 

Amazon Order.jpeg

Was Mr Sheen working on another job that day?

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Shower mixer tap has arrived from Brian Wards, very nice quality it is too:

Shower 1.jpg

Shower 2.jpg

That units good I've one on mine n the large black thing on the back as I'm sure you know allows yiu to go from spray to basically tap flow if yiu know what I mean , quality wise mines been onboard for a long time so the quality is defiantly there :default_biggrin: 

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:09, LondonRascal said:

Amazon have delivered some bits, I decided against Mr Sheen to clean contacts after all. 

Amazon Order.jpeg

Are you sure you know how to use that black and yellow thing with all those zeroooooo's :default_biggrin:

25 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Are you sure you know how to use that black and yellow thing with all those zeroooooo's :default_biggrin:

I don't want to start an argument but I thought that colour is orange/ish. To me, the WD40 title is on a yellow background-please help because I have trouble with colours (Not red. amber green usually!)

In case there is any question, I tried to put a smiley face on the above but I ended up losing the other content. I can do things with computers that very few experts can achieve-even to the point of them totally collapsing when I get within a few feet!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnb said:

I don't want to start an argument but I thought that colour is orange/ish. To me, the WD40 title is on a yellow background-please help because I have trouble with colours (Not red. amber green usually!)

I have to admit, it is orange and not yellow. Watching tv and looking at the forums and then trying to post, is not a good idea as we aren't women and can't multi task! 

Can of worms have been opened.

• Haha 1