What Would You Pay Extra Tolls For?

JohnK

46 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Actually the idea came from an Angling Club that had built some platforms into the river and then put "No Mooring Members Only" signs on them 

This would only apply if they had erected their pontoons in a dyke where they already had legal fishing rights. If they did it out on the river, they would be obstructing the navigation.

I think the main point being made here is that the Norfolk Broads, as overseen by the BA, gets its revenue half from government grant and the other half uniquely from only one user group. All the others pay nothing directly to the cost of the waterways and wetlands that they enjoy. This, from anybody's viewpoint, is not fair.

It's a bit like Norwich City Council. We know, since yesterday, that the council is now strictly non political. They are all Labour! So Norwich will now continue, un-opposed, to be a playground for cyclists and pedestrians who will pay absolutely nothing towards the cost of all the works necessary for them, whilst motorists (who are paying) will be forced to remain outside the city limits and high street commerce will continue to go bust as a result.

I just hope the cyclists will manage not to fart while they are pedalling, or it will have a dreadfully negative effect on their "carbon footprint".

• Like 3

The fisherman don't have to give anything back to the BA, we pay our licence fee to the environment agency who own, rent a lot of land on the broads such as potter to martham, top of upton dyke where platforms are, shop side of Ludham Bridge just to name a few and I can tell you there will be boats moored up at these locations everyday so please don't tell me that its unfair.

Well if all the fishermen stayed on the environment agency land were they think they pay their money to and give us all a smile Broadland would be a happier place, but alas it’s the boaters that have to pay the tolls and the fishermen resent  them being there who pay nothing. (How much is a fishing licence again )

John

just for the record I pay £30 for my licence to fish a fishing swim maybe 2m x 2m owned or rented by Norwich and district angling club, martham fishing club or EA not the BA so if you are trying to make a point that you pay a lot for your BA toll then you can navigate a hell of a lot more broads region than we are able to fish, we all have the choice to pay or not

I total  agree with none toll payers not being aloud to use BA moorings. Especially those in boats who I see frequently at especially whitlingham most of whom assume that because they got taken to court last yr and made to pay they have a right , ranger's know of the problems there and in the words of one ranger " I'm not bothered about him " despite he hasn't paid other than going to court and regularly ignores the no return in 24 hrs , that needs to stop , that s special privileges for those that don't contribute and that is not on , being back the tolls stickers so folk know without going on line , and trust me any fisherman that gives me grief on a,24 hr mooring is going to get wet after the crap I and certain girlfriends have had to endure over the yrs, that's exactly why they are banned in season from bramerton , and church fen and others , it's the attitude that that has done that  nothing else , and as much as one doesn't speak for all that fish its time to take the matter I'm hand or fishing will not be allowed from any mooring , as for none toll paying boats be prepared for me to come along side ( subject to doubling up allowed) n stuff your decks when team dog gets off as you shouldn't be there anyway n if you wanna argue with him your welcome :15_yum:

Paul just to clarify licence money is paid to the Enviroment Agency all over the country including the canals you mention, the EA are responsible for re-stocking programmes in certain areas this has nothing to do with the BA as they don't do a lot for fishing on the broads that would be the same for the EA charging boaters for mooring on there land in certain areas.

12 minutes ago, bigbream said:

that would be the same for the EA charging boaters for mooring on there land in certain areas

Er they do one example is Ely   and there are dozens more n trust me they know how to charger , over a 50% increase on my personal broads tolls .

16 minutes ago, bigbream said:

Paul just to clarify licence money is paid to the Enviroment Agency all over the country including the canals you mention, the EA are responsible for re-stocking programmes in certain areas this has nothing to do with the BA as they don't do a lot for fishing on the broads that would be the same for the EA charging boaters for mooring on there land in certain areas.

The EA receive revenue from the Rod License, but to fish the canals you have to pay, either the angling club controlling the fishery or to the Canals & Rivers Trust (British Waterways as was). I'm surprised nothing similar exists on the Broads.

The BA 24hr moorings by Beccles bypass bridge are used by match fisherman for much of the off season, Ive brought this up before, It might be give and take but as the BA are all take it gives me a sour taste.  

Also the big matches that take place on the Yare between Cantley - Brundall.  Masses of fisherman who pay what for use of the water?  

The Broads Authority should bring about a day ticket system or annual or short visit passes seperate to the EA rod licence.

Toll payers and hirers (who are still Toll payers indirectly) should still fish for free. 

Some fisherman clearly dont realise how much others are having to pay in!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

The BA 24hr moorings by Beccles bypass bridge are used by match fisherman for much of the off season, Ive brought this up before, It might be give and take but as the BA are all take it gives me a sour taste.  

Also the big matches that take place on the Yare between Cantley - Brundall.  Masses of fisherman who pay what for use of the water?  

The Broads Authority should bring about a day ticket system or annual or short visit passes seperate to the EA rod licence.

Toll payers and hirers (who are still Toll payers indirectly) should still fish for free. 

Some fisherman clearly dont realise how much others are having to pay in!

Problem is as soon as fishermen pay BA to use the use their moorings to fish they have an equal right to use that mooring as boats. Let the fishermen pay fishing clubs to fish on their land and leave the boat owner/hirers with priority on BA moorings. Obviously toll paying boat owners can fish from their boat for "free" provided they have a licence.

5 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Problem is as soon as fishermen pay BA to use the use the moorings to fish they have an equal right to use that mooring as boats. Let the fishermen pay fishing clubs to fish on their land and leave the boat owner/hirers with priority on BA moorings. Obviously toll paying boat owners can fish from their boat for "free" provided they have a licence.

I agree that would definately be a problem I hadnt considered, maybe the BA should get some rod licence money then!?

2 hours ago, Paul said:

but to fish the canals you have to pay, either the angling club controlling the fishery or to the Canals & Rivers Trust (British Waterways as was)

Not true Paul, CRT do not charge to fish canals and, as far as I know, fishing rights are not given to any clubs or society on the towpath side. May be different on the non towpath side. Fees are likely payable for a pegged match though.

Paul it does exist on the broads Norwich and district have stretches of river at st benets, coldharbour, woodbastwick and decoy they pay land owners £6000 between them to have access and to be able to fish you are quite welcome to buy a  day or annual membership, martham also hire a stretch at oby off cooks farm and the match stretch on the yare which holds the big matches run by Gt Yarmouth and Norfolk angling club also pay £1000s for the lease of the land. 

10 hours ago, bigbream said:

nothing to do with the BA as they don't do a lot for fishing on the broads that would be the same for the EA charging boaters for mooring on there land in certain areas.

The BA allow fishing from some 24 hour moorings, that’s doing something surely? I have also heard of the BA putting cash towards fishing platforms too although I don’t know how true that is. The EA leases land to the BA for moorings so, indirectly, they are charging boaters. 

5 hours ago, bigbream said:

Paul it does exist on the broads Norwich and district have stretches of river at st benets, coldharbour, woodbastwick and decoy they pay land owners £6000 between them to have access and to be able to fish you are quite welcome to buy a  day or annual membership, martham also hire a stretch at oby off cooks farm and the match stretch on the yare which holds the big matches run by Gt Yarmouth and Norfolk angling club also pay £1000s for the lease of the land. 

The may pay to lease land but who are they paying, the BA Kitty or private landowners?

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

The BA allow fishing from some 24 hour moorings, that’s doing something surely? I have also heard of the BA putting cash towards fishing platforms too although I don’t know how true that is. The EA leases land to the BA for moorings so, indirectly, they are charging boaters. 

The BA is very recitent about publishing the details of the people it leases land from, in its annual report. Which BA 24hr moorings are on land leased from the EA, please?

• Like 1

People like Cator estates at woodbastwick, Hapgoods own most of the land at Ludham, archilogical trust and heritage trust at st benets abbey  a lot of the BA 24hr moorings are owned by farmers etc so they have to lease them from them that is why they are losing so many moorings  hence the reason people are charging an overnight fee. 

1 hour ago, Paladin said:

The BA is very recitent about publishing the details of the people it leases land from, in its annual report. Which BA 24hr moorings are on land leased from the EA, please?

Just something I have heard at some time. You are usually the one who appears to put people straight on various things so no doubt you can answer your own question. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

Just something I have heard at some time. You are usually the one who appears to put people straight on various things so no doubt you can answer your own question. 

If I know the information, I post it. If I don't know, I ask a question and hope someone can answer it. I don't know the answer in this case and am hoping that someone here does. I know of several EA moorings, but none that are leased to the BA.

18 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Not true Paul,

Perfectly true VC

CRT do not charge to fish canals

Yes they do, an annual permit, valid for those parts of the Canal network not operated by Angling clubs costs £20 per year for an adult

as far as I know, fishing rights are not given to any clubs or society

yes they are. CRT say they "work with", whether that means they lease the fishing rights or grant them free I know not. 

Fees are likely payable for a pegged match though

If you join as a club or society you get a certain number of pegged matches free each year, depending on the number of members (minimum 10)

Full information is available on the CRT website here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/waterway-wanderers

The situation at Ludham Bridge is pretty convoluted and I have a feeling the EA believe they own what was the staithe - that I think is disputed but  I have a feeling some land around there is owned by the EA and as a result leased to the BA.

But I could be wrong....!!

• Like 1

The bank shop side at Ludham Bridge is owned by the EA the BA used to rent the top part closet to the reeds from Tubbys farm but the key heading got in a state no one wanted to repair so they took it back and set it to grass and took out the key heading, the fishing swims in the reeds are owned by the farm but the EA maintain it for fishing.Also the water and electric point is on land rented from the EA.