What Would You Pay Extra Tolls For?

JohnK

Whilst I don't want to discourage people from trying to do the right thing but I do have a question.
If I take a black sack with me, and fill it with litter abandoned by those who don't care, and I leave it by a litter bin, Can I be done for "fly tipping"?

I think if you picked up the litter from private property then probably .... but places with public access? Don’t know. Very interesting question.

At home I like to recycle,on the broads it' s not that easy there's very few recycing bins those that are around  are often full to overflowing.Its all to easy for the I don't care few to leave rubbish  where they want.I think the local councils and BA should sit down and work out a plan to sort out waste collections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, marshman said:

There is plenty of talking but do you really want to pay higher tolls for something the Councils are legally obliged to do?? And indeed why should you? It is certainly NOT the responsibility of the BA!!

I have exactly this impression, if there is a service the councils can sherk (to save dosh they can put towards their pay rises and pensions) they will. 

Its up to us to not let that happen and doing their job for them (even if it is just litter picking) isnt going to help us in the long run.

I have exactly this impression, if there is a service the councils can sherk (to save dosh they can put towards their pay rises and pensions) they will. 
Its up to us to not let that happen and doing their job for them (even if it is just litter picking) isnt going to help us in the long run.

I’m not sure how this is possible but I agree 100% with Marshman, you agree with him but I disagree with you
Picking up litter helps me because I’ll have less litter. I don’t think I’ll be making enough of an impact for the council to say, great stuff, John is saving us bothering.

I do agree with what your saying JohnK, I would rather pick litter up than walk by it, I just worry they start by sherking smaller responsibilities and then before we know it the are charging extra to provide other services that have always been included in the rates.

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Whilst I don't want to discourage people from trying to do the right thing but I do have a question.

If I take a black sack with me, and fill it with litter abandoned by those who don't care, and I leave it by a litter bin, Can I be done for "fly tipping"?

Just put it in a box , wrapped up with an Amazon sticker on it and leave it outside someone’s garage , some kind gentleman (or lady , must be pc) with swiftly help themselves to it and remove it.

The best thing the BA could do with tolls is increase all rates to those currently paid by hire boats. I understand the fallacy is that hire boats should pay more because they are in use more, but the harsh fact is that the explosion of privately owned boats over the last twenty years has caused massive damage to the infrastructure with the need for an ever increasing number of private moorings to accommodate boats which are often only used a handful of times each year

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

The best thing the BA could do with tolls is increase all rates to those currently paid by hire boats. I understand the fallacy is that hire boats should pay more because they are in use more, but the harsh fact is that the explosion of privately owned boats over the last twenty years has caused massive damage to the infrastructure with the need for an ever increasing number of private moorings to accommodate boats which are often only used a handful of times each year

Seriously? 

23 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think you are going to have to explain this a little more.

The annual toll for our boat is around £570, the commercial equivelant toll for a similar sized hire boat must be around £1500?? and I dont/cant let my boat out......

Yes sounds like a brilliant idea Paul, I wonder what new things the BA will find to waste the phenomenal amount of extra cash on, but wait......would anyone pay it!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paul said:

I take it you dont have a boat then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul said:

an incorrect assumption

As you dont seem to want  to elaborate on your original comment I cant sit on my fingers any longer...

14 hours ago, Paul said:

This post is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this forum. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I’m not sure I understand this. What ‘massive damage to the infrastructure’? 

I knew at the time that my post would not be popular with the NIMBY element amongst boat owners, but the fact remains the broads navigation has to be paid for. Go back thirty years and you had thousands of hire boats paying the incremental toll versus hundreds of private boats, mostly owned by people local to the area paying the standard rate. During that time we have come full circle with the number of private boats far outweighing the hire boats. I have looked a number of times to see if the number of boats tolled on the broads is increasing or decreasing, but the authority are not good at making historical data public. Perhaps an FOI request at some point in the future will satisfy my curiosity. 

At the same time, the cost of maintaining the navigation has spiraled. Something has to give, we either pay for it to be maintained properly or we accept what we get. Just the same situation we are in with the health service, education, emergency services,armed forces etc. We have ever increasing expectations but when it comes to funding those expectation we are less forthcoming. That is general to society as a whole, not just the boating fraternity. We are no longer happy to drive Mondeos and watch Match of the Day on a 24 inch TV, we want BMW's, Porsche's or Mercedes Benz's and live football on huge screens. Society has become more affluent because we spend more of our money on ourselves, and less maintaining the infrastructure supporting it. At some point, that has to change. 

So, how does that relate to the OP? Quite simply, before we consider what "extras" we would pay more for we have to look at supporting the basics, dredging, navigation, operational cost (yes, I know we all hate it, but it is there, and has to be paid for).

• Like 1

'At the same time, the cost of maintaining the navigation has spiraled.'

Agreed but why? In regard to dredging the costs really have spiraled, largely down to illogical disposal policies that have resulted in mud sometimes being transported some miles from where it was dredged. 

Paul, check the meaning of “nimby” before you put your cheque for an extra grand in the post toward your Toll.....im assuming you actually pay a Toll and your suggestion would directly affect you?

Your way is one way of looking at it but I have mine. You are aware when you talk about things costing more because we expect more that the 444 local authorities had managed to hive away 22 Billion in reserves by 2015, little wonder government cut the funding they provide and now we are suffering cuts to services across the board.  Are these reserves now being used to soften the cuts?  

Nothing to do with the Toll but the point im making is there is likely more than enough money being put into the system its how its being used in this modern day thats the problem.  

Im quite happy with a mondeo and a 24inch TV.  I read in the news yesterday 212 million has been put aside to educate girls in commonwealth countries to be taken from the foreign aid budget.

We are being milked and the Toll is no different.

Edited by dnks34

13 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Paul, check the meaning of “nimby” before you put your cheque for an extra grand in the post toward your Toll

Always happy to oblige.

"Acronym applied to people who advocate a policy or process but object to it's implementation in such a way that it might impact upon them directly or require sacrifice on their part"

Fits like a glove.