Oak Before Ash?

SteveO

The old rhyme says:   "Oak before Ash, we are in for a splash. Ash before Oak, we'll be having a soak".

We have Oak and Ash trees either side of the house. In most years, the Oak is in leaf slightly before the Ash but this year, the Ash is already out , way before the Oak.  This last few days notwithstanding, I will be interested to see if this phenomenon is followed by a wetter than usual Summer.  The optimist in me  reasons that the  Ash is in leaf early,  because Ash thrives best in the sort of cold  and wet  conditions that we have had plenty of in the last few months. Only time will tell, but I would be very interested in what people are seeing in other parts of the country.

• Like 2

Nah, sounds to me more like the oak is getting old. I think it would be best to save it from altzheimers immediately and have it planked and shipped up to Norfolk where some trusted enthusiasts will ensure it is given a far more exciting new home.

• Like 3

Hands off! I've been tweaking and training those boughs to make grown knees and frames for a maybe project in my twilight years. In any case, both trees have preservation orders on them so any timber would have to be removed with extreme discretion. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveO said:

"Oak before Ash, we are in for a splash. Ash before Oak, we'll be having a soak".

What a load of old tosh!! As if any tree, plant or animal can predict the weather 3 months hence. All they "know" is what the weather has been in the past, and whether that's good for growth or not. Does any sane person still take any notice of these old sayings? Still, some people believe in astrology . . . :default_gbxhmm:

• Sad 1

Sorry Ray (Regulo) I can't agree that these old sayings have no bearing on weather forecasting. The Met office has for many years agreed that these things are in fact, massively reliable, concurring with their long range forecasts  in excess of a 94% hit rate.

The only problem they have noted is that the weather often gets it wrong..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

"I'm checking on my app to see if it's raining?" is something I hear quite a lot these days. I have to admit that, like Steve, I'm one of the old-guard that keeps an eye on what the flora and fauna are doing with regard long-range weather forecasting. Hang a piece of seaweed outside your door. If the seaweed is wet...then it's probably raining.

According to the trees and daffadibbles hereabouts, we are in for a warm summer!
? I talk to the trees, But they don't listen? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 20/04/2018 at 09:43, Wildfuzz said:

Bring back Wincey WILLIS she was my buffer between the Muesli and the outside world in the 80`s

Capture1.JPG

COOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRR,  

I used to fancy the a..e off Wincey, but i believe in real life she was a bit of a hippy and was often seen looking scruffy. She was also the adjudicator on Treasure Hunt, and was always immaculately dressed.  Thursday evenings at 8.00pm on Channell 4 could`nt come early enough for me.