Help Needed Quickly Please

Hylander

We are on Captain.  The heating has cone on automatically and we cannot shut off.  Anyone know how to shut it off please.  Emergency number given unobtainable.  Not happy that Brooms cannot be contacted.

Monica

The heater will be an Eberspacher. Your unit if is the same as the Capitan I was on will look like this:

wp1bb23dc1_05_06 dddd.jpg

Press the bottom right button once (the one that looks like three wavy lines) this will turn the heater off (after a cool down cycle).

The up arrow is temp up - down is temp down. Press the down all the way (several taps) until one segment in the graduated scale shows and then hold it down and you get fan only no heat. The middle button under the Eberspacher logo - each press of this gives you 15 minutes more heat, then in 1 hour increments.

This unit may be located by the doorway (right or left) of the sliding door near where the inverter controller is. If not near or on  the helm console or another area within the saloon - not in the galley, or cabin sleeping space. Check behind curtains etc, it will be there somewhere.

*Alternative controller module:

d2-801controllerl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Turn your engine off, that seems to work for most boats.

Seriously though some heater controllers can be set to come on at pre set times, if yours has such a controller and you don't know how to turn it off if and you have an internet connection, I'd google for the instruction manual for the controller.

Bless you Robin bloody thing is shutting up.  Really got us in a state.  Cannot thank you enough.  Thank you ,  everyone the forum has saved the day.

Anymore problems I will be back on.  Sorry about my key board skills tonight.

Monica

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quo vadis said:

This would probably damage the unit :default_eusa_naughty:

The system has to be designed to be able to cope with a complete electrical failure without damage to itself or the surroundings, but not advised as routine method of shutdown.  

Well done Robin! I think that's the first time I have heard of a hire boat breakdown call being mended by internet!

It all shows that there must be at least one hire boat on the Broads where the heater lasts for longer than 10 minutes with the engine off!     :default_coat:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

While I have a signal -  it was such a shock.  Sitting here quitely and this god forsaken noise started up,  we thought as being near to a railway line it was a freight train,  then as it went on we got so hot and realised,  nothing of the kind but the darn heating had come on with no prompting from us.   Thought it would be easy but as no instructions at all in this boat manual decided to ring the emergency out of hours number.  Totally unobtainable ,  rang about 10 times including the office.  So I thought may be although our signal very hit and miss i would ask the forum and oh boy did Robin save the day and a marriage.   It got so hot you could not stand by the blowers.  Yes good in fact excellent heating system but when you want it.  All you need is an on and off switch and not a degree in physics lol.

I cannot thank you enough. 

Monica

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

The heater will be an Eberspacher. Your unit if is the same as the Capitan I was on will look like this:

wp1bb23dc1_05_06 dddd.jpg

Press the bottom right button once (the one that looks like three wavy lines) this will turn the heater off (after a cool down cycle).

The up arrow is temp up - down is temp down. Press the down all the way (several taps) until one segment in the graduated scale shows and then hold it down and you get fan only no heat. The middle button under the Eberspacher logo - each press of this gives you 15 minutes more heat, then in 1 hour increments.

This unit may be located by the doorway (right or left) of the sliding door near where the inverter controller is. If not near or on  the helm console or another area within the saloon - not in the galley, or cabin sleeping space. Check behind curtains etc, it will be there somewhere.

*Alternative controller module:

d2-801controllerl.jpg

Ours is the top version.

A lot of yards do tend to fit the very simple (on/off switch and a temperature knob) thermostats as hirers find them much easier.

The more sophisticated model has its uses, as you can set it to stay on for a certain time - for example long enough that you'll be in bed when it goes off. Similarly, you can set it to come on in the morning at a sensible time so you're not cold when you wake up.

Not really very helpful to have no istructions provided for the controls, no doubt you will be having words with the boatyard Hylander. Well, in this instance as in so many, the NBN has come up trumps. I wonder if it will start a trend - we may need to set up a ‘Quick help’ section!

• Like 1

Had a word with Brooms this morning.  They were totally unaware of the situation with the emergency number.  All their mobile providers fault

They were supposed to have directed the old number to a new number which for some reason never happened.  Brooms are as upset about this as we were,  all boats that are out will be phoned with the temporary emergency number.  Brooms could not have been more apologetic.  I feel a lot better.   I can tell you last night I was going home.  . If not for this forum it

could have been a different situation over something that could have been sorted out over the phone easily.

Any road up.  All's well that ends well.

• Like 7

I'm glad to see that you got sorted out. And I can vouch for this lovely group of people providing very helpful advice and suggestions when one is out on a hireboat and might have a problem. The members have helped me a few times. :)

• Like 2