Theft From Boats At Oulton Broad

Warnerua4

Warning to all at Oulton Broad people are reported to be climbing over and entering boats moored at Colemans. I yesterday found that yet again Having been in hospital I have been a victim, this time losing a gimbal compass and tools of which I am aware . With hindsight I think the mud weight and some fenders are also missing with further checks to be undertaken. Very ineffective response from Yacht station staff despite some.boats apparently being untied and left to gain access. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was told that any interference to  boats on Coleman's, in the dinghy park,  the yacht club, out on the swinging moorings and anywhere else was to be immediately reported to the police. 

That's the only way extra vigilance will be obtained and a need for an area to be policed identified.

I am sure Wildfuzz  will advise properly when he sees the OP's original message

I like the term immediately I was only alerted by social media a day after the event the boat next to me I hope will have been told by now ( the yacht station staff were unclear if  this would happen) and so now 2 days late I am still waiting for the police to get back to me so I can provide details of witnesses and the management team of the moorings about moving to alternative site at Beccles 

Yes please report any incident to the constabulary, if it is none urgent use the online reporting as it beats the 101 queues, if a crime in progress 999.

Whilst I cannot guarantee a prosecution, crime reporting does give us the statistics to have targeted patrols, surveillance and any thing else at our disposal. But we need the reports to come in.

Also the common sense advice is to take your valuables off, fit security devices and get a local to check the boat often for if you are not in the area, it wont stop thieves but they will move to a less uncomfortable area.

S.  

• Thanks 1

The items removed were attached perminantly (or so I thought) The boat is checked at regular periods by myself and others however the last 18 months has seen an increase in theft and vandalism of the boats moored in this area with little or no action taken other than other boat users for which I am very grateful. I have now been subjected to this twice and  To expect any form of result from reporting the incident is a bit like hoping to win the lottery as I am still waiting to be contacted as described in the acknowlagement email which set a time line as  in due course. Does that mean when the suspects have moved on and witnesses have no recollection.

• Like 1

All the police will do is give you a crime number to send to your insurance, and then they can put that down as a success on their clear up figures, meaning the matter as far as they are concerned has been "cleared up", yet no investigations have taken place, resulting in NOBODY being prosecuted and sentenced, and very little if any chance of getting your possesions back.  Hardly what you pay your taxes for.

• Like 3

That's a bit harsh Speedtriple, and not wholly accurate. Yes they will give you a crime number so you can start any insurance claim you may make, but it doesn't end any investigation and it certainly does not go on the statistics as a success. The amount of time they might take on the matter will reflect the probability of a successful conclusion as well as how serious the offence was.

A stolen outboard will carry more weight than a stolen boathook though if the boathook is found alongside the stolen outboard in some shed, then a little effort will be put in to returning said hook as that WILL add to the clear up figures.

In all seriousness, isn't that how it should be? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

All the police will do is give you a crime number to send to your insurance, and then they can put that down as a success on their clear up figures, meaning the matter as far as they are concerned has been "cleared up", yet no investigations have taken place, resulting in NOBODY being prosecuted and sentenced, and very little if any chance of getting your possesions back.  Hardly what you pay your taxes for.

This is the kind of "fake" news that propagates so well on Facebook, but shouldn't be here!

A crime reference number is the reference to the crime that has been logged or reported. It is the number you quote when ever you want to speak to the investigating officer for that crime. Giving it to your insurance company shows the crime has been logged with the Police. The crime is not shown as a "success" in the clear up figures until the investigation is complete and the case closed either with the criminal being caught, or no further action due to lack of leads etc. It is then recorded as a crime that has not been solved, not as a success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the police were allowed to resource up so that they could maximise crime solving and charging, everyone would be complaining that their taxes had gone up considerably... they cannot win sometimes. Just the same for the moderators really.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

This is the kind of "fake" news that propagates so well on Facebook, but shouldn't be here!

A crime reference number is the reference to the crime that has been logged or reported. It is the number you quote when ever you want to speak to the investigating officer for that crime. Giving it to your insurance company shows the crime has been logged with the Police. The crime is not shown as a "success" in the clear up figures until the investigation is complete and the case closed either with the criminal being caught, or no further action due to lack of leads etc. It is then recorded as a crime that has not been solved, not as a success.

Yes, as you say   "no action to be taken"  but it IS regarded as "cleared up" as far as they`re concerned.  You only had to look at that idiot in charge of the Welsh police years ago. He was always quoting a 100% clear up rate for major offences. As it turned out, his "claimed" major offences just happened to be ALL minor motoring offences, but the clear up rate was 100%. When pushed for the clear up rate for muggings, murder, rape, burglary  etc etc, The clear up rate was a wapping 0%, and that is FACT ON RECORD.  And NO it is NOT the fake news on facebook the authorities are so desperate for us to believe, hoping they will get back some sort of credibility. The police forces in this country have, and are contnuing to lose any sense of credibility, due to inaction, and even laziness on behalf of the public, prefering to support big businesses, local politicians or authority, and minority groups.

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yes, as you say   "no action to be taken"  but it IS regarded as "cleared up" as far as they`re concerned.  You only had to look at that idiot in charge of the Welsh police years ago. He was always quoting a 100% clear up rate for major offences. As it turned out, his "claimed" major offences just happened to be ALL minor motoring offences, but the clear up rate was 100%. When pushed for the clear up rate for muggings, murder, rape, burglary  etc etc, The clear up rate was a wapping 0%, and that is FACT ON RECORD.  And NO it is NOT the fake news on facebook the authorities are so desperate for us to believe, hoping they will get back some sort of credibility. The police forces in this country have, and are contnuing to lose any sense of credibility, due to inaction, and even laziness on behalf of the public, prefering to support big businesses, local politicians or authority, and minority groups.

I can assure you an unsolved crime is an unsolved crime, it doesn't count as cleared up. That is why official figures released just recently show that in 2017 just four percent of robberies and three per cent of burglaries were "cleared up" in England and Wales. I thought about answering some of your other points, but think it best we leave it there!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

If the police were allowed to resource up so that they could maximise crime solving and charging, everyone would be complaining that their taxes had gone up considerably... they cannot win sometimes. Just the same for the moderators really.

In fact police forces have lost staff (28% less officers in my local area) but the population has doubled in the last thirty years.Perhaps we should look more kindly on our police forces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point in time my confidence in the police is at an all time low. I/we could debate that but that would mean doing politics and I doubt that my life will be long enough for going down that particular route and in any case it is against the TOS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The police do what they can with what they've got. They do this with one hand tied behind their back (political correctness etc.etc.) and they have to prioritise as best they can. So, a few questions to mull over.

Which kills more people, motorists or murderers? Which is the more important crime to enforce, carrying a knife or speeding?

Which denies more property to most people, Burglary or insurance fraud? Which should the police concentrate on?

You are the head of the department within the police service that investigates manning level efficiency. which departments do you investigate?

You are about to arrest somebody on suspicion of a mugging. He is a black Muslim on a march in support of the LGBT movement. Do you REALLY want to proceed knowing what the likely result would be. (Pick an 'ist' any 'ist')

Would you like to volunteer to be a member of the  Police Community Support Officers (formally known as the 'Special Constables )?

Our 'boys in blue' spend too much of their valuable time doing paperwork, exercising their 'Duty of care' to drunks and protecting imbeciles from their own stupidity to have time to look into much else. their CID colleague's are bogged down with red tape, and all their high ranking bosses are tied up trying to remain within their budgets and defending the ranks from media attack.

A policeman's lot is not a happy one.

• Like 6

Would you like to volunteer to be a member of the  Police Community Support Officers (formally known as the 'Special Constables )?

Just to clarify 2 different roles.

PCSOs are paid and do not hold the full powers of a police Constable.

Special Constables are still there with full warranted police powers and unpaid.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Just to clarify 2 different roles.

PCSOs are paid and do not hold the full powers of a police Constable.

Special Constables are still there with full warranted police powers and unpaid.

fair enough, my definition was inaccurate, but my question remains.

Is`nt it strange how people use statistics. When it suits them, the police are under staffed and bound over with red tape, when it suits them, yet in another way, they say we have more police than ever, with far more technology available to them to investigate crime. 

What IS a constant is when you phone the police and report AN ONGOING CRIME, they don`t have the manpower to investigate, and simply give out a crime number and close the case. But when a woman is spotted driving along a dual carraigeway eating an apple all of a sudden, they have a dozen pursuit vehicles, two dog support units, and a police helicopter at their disposal, ALL OF WHICH WERE USED to stop the innocent victim of police stupidity. Just another example to mull over, especially when you consider the expense involved.

Also, why does a police car have to tail a car for over 6 miles, and then switch its blue lights and siren on when the guy pulls up in front of his home, then proceeds to brethalise him even though he was`nt speeding, was`nt driving dangerously, did`nt jump any red lights, and who`s vehicle was fully insured, mot`d and taxed?.  Yet another example to mull over.

A dozen pursuit vehicles, 2 dog units and a helicopter?

Wow. Never seen that amount of resources in one place before let alone chasing a driver eating an apple.

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Is`nt it strange how people use statistics. When it suits them, the police are under staffed and bound over with red tape, when it suits them, yet in another way, they say we have more police than ever, with far more technology available to them to investigate crime. 

What IS a constant is when you phone the police and report AN ONGOING CRIME, they don`t have the manpower to investigate, and simply give out a crime number and close the case. But when a woman is spotted driving along a dual carraigeway eating an apple all of a sudden, they have a dozen pursuit vehicles, two dog support units, and a police helicopter at their disposal, ALL OF WHICH WERE USED to stop the innocent victim of police stupidity. Just another example to mull over, especially when you consider the expense involved.

Also, why does a police car have to tail a car for over 6 miles, and then switch its blue lights and siren on when the guy pulls up in front of his home, then proceeds to brethalise him even though he was`nt speeding, was`nt driving dangerously, did`nt jump any red lights, and who`s vehicle was fully insured, mot`d and taxed?.  Yet another example to mull over.

Really, it's this sort of random comment that really riles me up. Is it any wonder that moral is low.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

A dozen pursuit vehicles, 2 dog units and a helicopter?

Wow. Never seen that amount of resources in one place before let alone chasing a driver eating an apple.

Fake news?

11 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

You fail to mention whether the person concerned had been or was suspected off drink driving. If so then I salute the Police. If a driver is suspected of drink driving, far better to tail him at a distance and make their presence known once he has stopped, rather than risk him speeding off and a Police chase being required.

Not to far away from where I live a 18 year old driver who had stolen his parents car saw a Police car and sped off assuming they were looking for him. There was NO Police chase, but that didn't stop the 18 year old from speeding off, mounting a pavement and ploughing into a group of 5 people.

Where the Police are really let down is that the case I just mentioned above, some of the victims suffered life changing injuries. The thief got just over three years and a five year driving ban. The courts need to back the Police up more and send a clear message to criminals.

• Like 6

A discussion like this and the forum bans political discussion??? That's the root of most of this problem in the denial of adequate resources and funding for the Police. They are being squeezed in the same way all public services are! Could open up a whole new discussion.