Fishermen Without Boats Fishing On BA Moorings.

Breydon

I grew up in Beccles. As a young lad the only access I had for fishing was Puddingmore, Beccles quay, the river wall. None of these places had restrictions for fishing and I rarely encountered any aggrevation between boaters & fisherman. 

There were little restriction on speeding so occasionally a wave would break over the bank from speeding boats ..... the worst offender was the "Regal Lady".

From angling as a kid I eventually bought a small boat & then learned to sail.

In those days the Quay was much narrower, there was no by-pass and the local dump made use of the marshes. Everybody seemed to rub along quite happily together and enjoy the environment.

Now it's very different. Angling banned on the quay, restrictions everywhere ..... maybe this contributes to the them and us feeling that is prevalent today ...... too many petty rules!!

• Like 1

It should be noted that on many other waters an angler would have to pay in the region of £10 per day and would not be able to fish after dark.

A subscription  to a fishing club usually costs in the region of £80 a season.

That is in addition of a £30 fishing licence which somebody previously mentioned does contribute minutely to some of the work EA does on the Broads.

A nominal fee Broads licence to fish from the BA moorings to cover a licence plate to be displayed when fishing and to cover administration would be an answer. Anybody not displaying the licence plate or refusing to move when requested could then be fined or in extreme cases banned from fishing the moorings.

Truthfully, the apparent animosity between the anglers and boaters is a problem, I am not an angler, yet I can understand their point, in years past (probably when these bylaws were created), anglers had their rod and a creel to put their catch in, and not a lot else. nowadays anglers seem to have a car full of gear, a tent and half the fishing shop on the bank next to them, I can understand their reluctance to shift this lot just because a boat wants to moor. maybe they should plan ahead and set up at the ends of the mooring, but then that may have already been taken when they arrived.

what is the solution, who knows, maybe there will never be a solution, but understanding should exist from both sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

I grew up in Beccles. As a young lad the only access I had for fishing was Puddingmore, Beccles quay, the river wall. None of these places had restrictions for fishing and I rarely encountered any aggrevation between boaters & fisherman. 

There were little restriction on speeding so occasionally a wave would break over the bank from speeding boats ..... the worst offender was the "Regal Lady".

From angling as a kid I eventually bought a small boat & then learned to sail.

In those days the Quay was much narrower, there was no by-pass and the local dump made use of the marshes. Everybody seemed to rub along quite happily together and enjoy the environment.

Now it's very different. Angling banned on the quay, restrictions everywhere ..... maybe this contributes to the them and us feeling that is prevalent today ...... too many petty rules!!

When I first realised there was no fishing from the Quay in Beccles I was most miffed. Myself my father my uncle and his son (my cousin) had moored up on the river part of the Quay near the old bridge and had a rod out fore and aft from the bank in between the boats and a do gooding local went and grassed us up to the Quay attendant! We didnt even know about the rule!  But they did allow fishing from the Quay in the winter months (not sure if they still do) and I suppose I can understand why they disallow it during the season as they might well have ended up with more folk fishing for free than boats paying to moor up and folk obstructing the paths with rods. 

If there were sufficient moorings, particularly in peak season, it would be very different. Anglers have the pick of the river banks but still seem to want to set up on public moorings. 

55 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The 24 hour moorings opposite The Ferry House on the Yare had 3 fishermen spread out,  the fishing pegs just up river had 8 empty,  obviously to far to walk.

They look good angling spots too but I think you’re right, too far away from the car to walk with all the gear. 

1 hour ago, Breydon said:

A nominal fee Broads licence to fish from the BA moorings to cover a licence plate to be displayed when fishing and to cover administration would be an answer. Anybody not displaying the licence plate or refusing to move when requested could then be fined or in extreme cases banned from fishing the moorings.

That is indeed an idea but I think it would make precious mooring space even more depleted. 

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

too many petty rules!!

There are a few petty rules but if they weren’t there you can bet your bottom dollar that it would be too much of a free for all and very disadvantageous for many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Anglers have the pick of the river banks but still seem to want to set up on public moorings. 

Taken from a statement made by BA with regard to the new fishing pegs supplied at Postwick.

"Prior to our project, the very short length of piled frontage at Ferry Lane represented the only river bank accessible to the public for fishing on the north side of the river between Brundall and Thorpe in Norwich. Opportunities for people to enjoy fishing elsewhere along the whole north side of the tidal river remain limited. Public vehicle access and parking close to the river for fishing is only possible on short stretches at Brundall, Buckenham, Cantley and Reedham."

So no, anglers don't have the pick of the river banks on the north side of the Yare. But I would think that when the new fishing pegs were complete it would have been reasonable to ban fishing from the Postwick moorings seeing as a good chunk of the money to supply the new fishing pegs would have come out of boater's licence fees.

I can't think where the public vehicle access and parking is at Brundall and I wouldn't imagine fishing at Reedham would be too productive.

4 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Would the Navigation Budget actually have been used to fund fishing platforms? 

I very much doubt it. In the past fishing platforms have been financed by clubs, fishing licence income or such as the Environment Agency via the Broads Flood Alleviation Program.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I very much doubt it. In the past fishing platforms have been financed by clubs, fishing licence income or such as the Environment Agency via the Broads Flood Alleviation Program.  

A couple of years back I was told that the BA had funded the fishing platforms above Beccles, whether in full or just in part I don’t know. That information came from a local warden. 

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

A couple of years back I was told that the BA had funded the fishing platforms above Beccles, whether in full or just in part I don’t know. That information came from a local warden. 

I know nothing of that but I don't doubt it. I can only suggest that it might have been a means of compensating for the loss of angling facilities perhaps when a 24hr mooring was created. It might also have been confusion between the BA & the EA. I can only guess on this one.

I am a boat owner who fishes or an angler who owns a boat I don't mind which but I do find some comments somewhat typical of why there is conflict, the Broads are a national asset there for everyone to enjoy in their own way regardless of who pays and who doesn't, local anglers have very little access to bankside facilities compared to boaters so it is understandable they try and use what opportunities they have available that are accessible .

I accept that boats do and should have priority on BA moorings and while I am not saying it dosn`t happen in nearly 40 years of boating I have only once had a problem with an angler on a 24hr mooring while there have been several occasions with boat loads of anglers, having told them I am going to moor I have been quite happy for people to fish in front of or behind my boat and often had an enjoyable time conversing with them and learnt much.

Yes it is nice to be acknowledged for being courteous and I have had a wave from many anglers but it shouldn't be cause for annoyance if an angler is concentrating on what he is doing and doesn't wave especially in a match situation where every bite counts, if you pass wide enough and slowly  he may well not even realise you have passed.

There are good and bad in every sphere and instead of looking for areas of conflict it would be far better to find ways of accommodating all the different interests that use the Broads.

Fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I know nothing of that but I don't doubt it. I can only suggest that it might have been a means of compensating for the loss of angling facilities perhaps when a 24hr mooring was created. It might also have been confusion between the BA & the EA. I can only guess on this one.

No creation of 24 hour moorings in that area (sadly) and definitely Broads Authority mentioned. 

50 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I do find some comments somewhat typical of why there is conflict,

I would be interested to know which comments. From anglers or boaters? Or six of one etc etc? I think most of us try and word our thoughts in a way that doesn’t offend and therefore cause conflict so it is disappointing that you think otherwise. 

I know the topic is anglers fishing from 24 hour moorings but how would (or do) anglers react if boats tie up to fishing platforms?

19 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

They do Fleet Dyke being one example.

Fred

I have seen them there but my question was how do anglers react? Do they get annoyed, ask the boaters to move or just turn a blind eye? I ask because we invariably only hear one side of the story - that of boaters. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I have seen them there but my question was how do anglers react? Do they get annoyed, ask the boaters to move or just turn a blind eye? I ask because we invariably only hear one side of the story - that of boaters. 

I doubt thats somethinng we will never know as most Anglers on here are either boat owners or holiday makers and yes we do normally hear only one side of the story, at the end of the day there should be room for everyone with a bit of tolerance on all sides.

Fred

• Like 2

They do Fleet Dyke being one example.  Fred

I don't disbelieve you for a moment although I have never done it.

I would however offer / guess / estimate  (As I have no proof whatsoever) that the ratio of boats mooring on fishing platforms against anglers fishing form Ba moorings is somewhere in the region of 1-1000

I have in the past and will do so again make my own wild moorings, sometimes they get used by other craft then become 'Established' wild moorings

Griff

• Like 2

On 02/10/2018 at 07:45, RumPunch said:

My concern if fisherman were asked to pay a 'toll' is they may well then think they had as much entitlement to be on the mooring as a boat wishing to moor.

Absolutely spot on, you beat me to it.

If fishermen (and women) were to pay for a license to fish from all the BA free moorings, straight away they will be full of anglers who would NOT be obliged to move, so mooring would become a major problem for EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE. Imagine this on the Southern rivers where bankside moorings are non existant due to the tide ranges, you would never get ANYWHERE to more, apart from private marinas with the odd visitors mooring?.

Speaking of fishermen,  I am surprised we get from A to B at times,   we always skirt around wide if fishermen are on the bank (where safe to do so obviously) and if other half spots a fisherman or men in a small boat then we crawl past so as not to knock them flying.

• Like 1

I might be wrong here but as I understand it a fish has an organ called the "lateral line" This organ senses movement around it, thus they "feel" a boat in their vicinity from quite a long way off. Surely therefore, any sudden change in speed or direction is as likely to spook the fish more than if the vibrations were to be constant.

Each angler seems to have differing views as to how they would like the helmsperson (Oh hell, I'm becoming politically correct!) to behave. All I do is smile, wave and plod on regardless. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Well I know this is a while since the original posting but it seems that we have got nowhere.

I write this purely as a local angler for the last 50 + years. I must say that I agree with both sides. I sympathise fully with the boating fraternity as I know the tolls are not cheap. All I seem to read about lately are the loss of BA 24hr moorings so I totally agree that you are paying more but getting less. 

Some of you state that there is lots of bank available for the fisherman, please feel free to share these areas because I, as a local to the Broads, and most of my fellow anglers are not aware of many. That's exactly why the 24hr moorings get used by anglers.

Yes I agree again with the fact that the EA along with the BASG have provided platforms and purpose built swims in certain places, the two that are regularly mentioned being Postwick and fleet dyke. It looked great progress at poswick when they  first cleared the bank put the swims in in but look at the wider picture and you will see that they never even bothered to clear the weed, cabbages and lillies that are predominant along the bank of this particular stretch of the Yare, or if they did it came back with in the first season meaning that if you were to catch any decent fish, the probability is that it would be lost along with tackle in that weed,  hence the reason why (I must point out that I don't) anglers choose to fish from the moorings opposites the pub as the weed is not there because the bed is dredged or whatever to allow for mooring and are not loosing tackle continuously. Combine that with the parking issue if all the swims were to be taken, where would all the cars park?

Fleet dyke, again great platforms but the closest parking is the public car park at the stathe. anyone fancy dragging their tackle all that way from the car park to the platforms. I dont know of anyone. Perhaps if agreement/permission could be sought from the boatyard at the end of the lane for a small charge. £5 a day/night would seem a reasonable charge and would be extra revenue (all be it small) for the boat yard that would encourage anglers to use them. It certainly would do it for me and talking to other anglers it would do it for them to.

I have (and always will) move to allow a boat to moor up, but I have, on one occasion, at Bramerton, with yards of bank both sides of me, had a boat insisting on mooring where I and my friend were fishing. It was is if he was making a point that he could.

We should, and must ALL get on. As has been mentioned several times on this post, the Broads are for ALL to enjoy, not those who pay the most.

Whilst we are on the topic of 24Hr moorings, I walk my dogs along the Waveney regularly, and this year have seen more and more of the liveaboards tied up for extended periods. On one occasion two boats were moored at Somerleyton for in excess of 5 weeks on the 24hr moorings.  

• Like 2