Take Care When Buying A Fishing Licence.

Breydon

I just had a look on line to find the current fishing licence fee. I noticed on the search engine  menu the following  website: www.fishingandrodlicences.co.uk/  .

They charge a commission when you buy a licence though them. Don't get ripped off, use the proper government website:   

"Buy a rod fishing licence - GOV.UK"   https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences  otherwise you will be charged £15 commission on top of the £30 for a coarse and trout two rod licence.

I almost got suckered into this one as well but my Yorkshire genes kicked in when I saw the price they were charging.  I thought the government was supposed to be doing something about sites that offer the same services as GOV.UK  sites, but which charge a commission for their totally unnecessary services.  Obviously not!.

• Like 1

Guess what. I got caught!  Haven't been fishing since I was about thirteen or fourteen,  so having bought a share in Moonlight Shadow and with the opportunity of spending more time on The Broads, I mentioned in passing to my brother-in-law that I was thinking of buying some tackle and he gave me a rod, reel and other necessary bits and pieces.  I went on line and not realising where to get I licence from, Googled getting a fishing licence and this website was top.of the list - http://www.fishingandrodlicences.co.uk/‎ . 

I duly paid my 20.00 for an eight day licence to cover our holiday and to date, still havent received anything, despite requesting it to start on 29th September.

Rest assured, the same mistake will not happen again.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:18, webntweb said:

When you buy online through the government website you don't have to wait for the licence to come before you fish. Just carry a copy of the online receipt.

Also, your name and address is on the EA authorities as having a fishing licence even if you do not have a copy of acceptance. All you need is to supply proof of identity.

It is a bit worrying that those scam websites will have all your card details too if you use them.  

• 2 weeks later...
I just had a look on line to find the current fishing licence fee. I noticed on the search engine  menu the following  website: www.fishingandrodlicences.co.uk/  .
They charge a commission when you buy a licence though them. Don't get ripped off, use the proper government website:   
"Buy a rod fishing licence - GOV.UK"   https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences  otherwise you will be charged £15 commission on top of the £30 for a coarse and trout two rod licence.

I fell foul of this upon renewal for this year so I contacted them and got a refund of there charges

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• 2 years later...

My fishing licence is now due for renewal as per an email received.

The licensing staff have it correct nowadays, whenever it is renewed it is valid from a year from that date.  Much like road tax.  Pity the Ba can't do the same system

Seems pretty pointless renewing it right now, if there was any chance of me being onboard early March I would eagerly do so

Griff

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 07:37, BroadAmbition said:

My fishing licence is now due for renewal as per an email received.

The licensing staff have it correct nowadays, whenever it is renewed it is valid from a year from that date.  Much like road tax.  Pity the Ba can't do the same system

Seems pretty pointless renewing it right now, if there was any chance of me being onboard early March I would eagerly do so

Griff

I didn't bother with mine last year until a couple of days before I travelled to Brundall. I wasn't about to buy a license for 12 months when it was up last Spring when I wasn't sure when I'd be able to make use of it again!

I'll also never get my head around why the BA charges tolls the way it does. Seems odd to me that I could buy a boat now, pay hundreds on a toll, and that I then need to pay out again in a couple of months. Hardly seems fair, but then I'm not surprised.

19 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

I'll also never get my head around why the BA charges tolls the way it does. Seems odd to me that I could buy a boat now, pay hundreds on a toll, and that I then need to pay out again in a couple of months. Hardly seems fair, but then I'm not surprised.

Don't worry, nobody can get their head round that one. I would love to see BA's written justification of it. There is also a Winter Lay up Tariff which is cheaper, but for some reason it extends to the end of April so you effectively pay for April twice. Makes you wonder how many more tolls they would have coming in if they were a bit more flexible with the way tolls are collected.

Apologies for the thread drift.