St Olaves Moorings

Baitrunner

This is a photo (sorry not very  good) which shows the moorings. As others have said its in front of the Fishermans pub. As you would expect in that vicinity there is considerable tidal variation and it can be quite a scramble to get on the bank at low tide (as Mrs Nog can testify) :default_norty:

Fishermans.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mr Nog. Good picture. Very helpful. 

Im used to the rise and fall as a regular at Polkys and Bernie, but it has been years since I've been the other side.  

Of course turning round is always fun if the tide is the wrong way:default_beerchug:

by the way is the fishermans any good? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

by the way is the fishermans any good?

Hi Mark

Long time since I managed to be passing and find it open. I seem to recall the beer was nothing to write home about, probably Greene King from memory. Can't speak for the grub. I've a feeling it operates fairly restricted hours so it might be worth checking carefully if you are planning a visit. Others may have better knowledge though.

• Thanks 1

Well, we plan on burning some perfectly good food on a BBQ!!!!! So hopefully won't need the pub. I can't see the alcohol running out either. not really helping the local businesses am I.

the original plan was to get up river of reedham bridge and moor up, but I am working on plans B and C in case we are running late. 

• Like 1

I've used the burgh castle moorings as a wild mooring a couple of times since it's been closed with no problems but will be well overgrown I would guess and the power is definately off at the post.

The piling at the fishermans leaves a lot to be desired as fenders tend to sit in the gaps and leave you banging.

St.olaves moorings are fine.

Are you coming in from sea or down from the northern rivers?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Well, we plan on burning some perfectly good food on a BBQ!!!!! So hopefully won't need the pub. I can't see the alcohol running out either. not really helping the local businesses am I.

Can't see the pub being happy with a bbq on their mooring. You could go just round the corner there should be plenty of moorings above the Berney Arms.

• Thanks 1

Good point about the pub moorings. Hopefully that will be plan D. 

Smoggy, I'm coming from up river (brundall) and need to get back there Wednesday lunchtime. Late season blast and refuel at goodchilds. Oh, and a couple of Days with some mates and a beer. The winds and rain at the weekend pushed the trip back. 

The piling at the fishermans leaves a lot to be desired as fenders tend to sit in the gaps and leave you banging.

several years ago I found out about those pilings around breydon. Got myself some big balls. Ball fenders that is. Work a treat, but a pain to store!! :default_eusa_dance:

13 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

The piling at the fishermans leaves a lot to be desired as fenders tend to sit in the gaps and leave you banging.

several years ago I found out about those pilings around breydon. Got myself some big balls. Ball fenders that is. Work a treat, but a pain to store!! :default_eusa_dance:

I made myself a fender board for these situations. Cheap to make and easier to store than large fenders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Paladin said:

I made myself a fender board for these situations. Cheap to make and easier to store than large fenders.

Yes, Fender boards Our excellent at Stopping your fenders from vanishing into the gaps in the piling, on the stern of our boat we have two large ball fenders for stern mooring when side moored we just swap them round to the side problem solved.

• Like 1

Have used fender boards at southwold. The only problem is they can occasionally get stuck on a falling tide!!!! Never thought of them for the Broads  :default_beerchug:

if I'm going seaward I leave the super oversize balls in the car. The mid size balls I can just squeeze in the lockers. 

but the actual pub is currently closed

Not a great loss there then as the last few visits have been most disapointing, at least you can have a bbq there though.

I have a set of hard plastic pipes that slot together with a rope through for either use as a fenderboard horizontally or from the handrails vertically for places like reedham with it's concrete edge, once folded down they sit in the lazarette nicely over the rudder gear along with dinghy oars and broom/mop.

63mm mains water pipe has a nice 2" bore that you can slot a bit of stainless tube into but you need to turn one end down slightly for an easy fit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

The fishermans only ever opens for the main season and then it seems to open grudgingly and shut very keenly.

I think the problem with The Fishermans is that the trade is only seasonal and the holiday park which own The Fishermans cannot get a tenant to take it on full time. The last few years I believe the holiday park have opened it themselves almost as a loss leader because it is seen as part of the facilities of the park for guests. Therefore they open it once the park is starting to get busy and close it the moment guest numbers start to drop off. I may be wrong but I don't think the park has a clubhouse as such, therefore the only bar / restaurant is The Fishermans and is central to the parks facilities, otherwise I think they would leave it shut if they could.

To be honest the whole pub and marina could do with some much needed investment. A lot of the entrance to the marina is falling into the Waveney. Could probably do with Goodchild putting in an offer for the marina to extend its moorings.

• Like 1

Whenever we used to walk from the Burgh Castle moorings, the Park used to be advertising their own bar facilities. From memory I think it used to be called the Kingfisher but my memory sadly is failing somewhat! From time to time food was also advertised as was entertainment. I do miss those moorings and I’m not sure I would want to use them as wild moorings. They were in desperate need of refurbishment and, in spite of the good Doctor’s approach to the EA and an agreement that work would take place, I really can’t see anything being done short term.