Houseboat Sinks.

vanessan

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Would that be classed as ‘boat waste’?!! Saw that small boat about 3 weeks ago towing the raft, it moored alongside the boat which has now sunk. Maybe they had an argument as to whose space it was.

No same guy same dog and the raft has been attached to the houseboat as long as its been there complete with dross and  wood for the burner, there was nothing dumped that would fit into a bin bag so draw your own conclusion, people don't normally have a clear out without a reason, I seem to remember in the early discussions about loss of waste bins complaints of people dumping larger items of household waste, I don`t have a problem with any ones chosen lifestyle as long as they live by the rules of general society, there is a problem when we all suffer through cost or loss of amenity because of the behaviour of others.

MM you are entitled to think whatever you choose to think with or without knowledge of the circumstances I will say no more.

Fred

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

4. Inappropriate Material ?

Difficult one, this. I can see what John means as I quoted the TOS a few months ago when a sunken hire boat was discussed. I promptly got flogged in the forum "stocks" for having done so!

I think on this occasion, we have not mentioned either the name of the boat or its owner and we are reacting to an EDP article, in the public domain.

As a long time "live aboard" myself - I was raised on a Broads houseboat - I can well understand the trauma of losing your home if it sinks. I have seen it happen to many others, in my time. Perhaps what we are more concerned about here is the standard of behaviour. I suggest there is a big difference between choosing the lifestyle of residential boating and simply dropping out of society by squatting somewhere in the reeds and letting the rest of the World go by.

If the BA have recently taken such a strong stance against the concept of living on a houseboat on the Broads, perhaps one can sometimes see their point of view?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Difficult one, this. I can see what John means as I quoted the TOS a few months ago when a sunken hire boat was discussed. I promptly got flogged in the forum "stocks" for having done so!

I think on this occasion, we have not mentioned either the name of the boat or its owner and we are reacting to an EDP article, in the public domain.

As a long time "live aboard" myself - I was raised on a Broads houseboat - I can well understand the trauma of losing your home if it sinks. I have seen it happen to many others, in my time. Perhaps what we are more concerned about here is the standard of behaviour. I suggest there is a big difference between choosing the lifestyle of residential boating and simply dropping out of society by squatting somewhere in the reeds and letting the rest of the World go by.

If the BA have recently taken such a strong stance against the concept of living on a houseboat on the Broads, perhaps one can sometimes see their point of view?

Spot on comment.

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Not the point Vaughan. I know of two "liveaboards' who have been members of this forum and who are "continuous cruisers" in the proper manner. Their boats are kept in good order and they store nothing on the banks. This is as it should be. The owners of Pelican, the houseboat and the assembled small craft, are not of that ilk. Sadly they are typical of the image people have of "Liveaboards". The Freeman that caught fire was a bit half way between, and was starting to deteriorate quite badly.

People of the likes of the first two I mention, are I'm sure no cause of concern to the BA, where the other type, quite rightly, are.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Not the point Vaughan.

But that is my point. I know a lot of "liveaboards" - many of them are friends of mine. Long before I joined this forum I fought for more than 10 years, along with others such as Jill R, for the right to moor boats on Hearts Island and to live aboard them, just as my parents had done for 41 years beforehand.

Unfortunately we lost the fight at the Jenners end of the island and so people who were living there in relative peace and quiet were displaced all over other parts of the Broads. Do the BA think this was a good thing, in hindsight?

The Broads is a beautiful place for leisure boating as long as everyone plays by the rules. When there is a small minority who don't, they just create eyesores such as we can see on this thread.

I sometimes call myself the oldest surviving live-aboard on the Broads, so I am on their side! My "point" was when I used the words "standard of behaviour" and the behaviour of these people has simply given a negative image in the eyes of the BA and so they have come out against residential boating as a matter of principle.

That is my point.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The Broads is a beautiful place for leisure boating as long as everyone plays by the rules. When there is a small minority who don't, they just create eyesores such as we can see on this thread.

I sometimes call myself the oldest surviving live-aboard on the Broads, so I am on their side! My "point" was when I used the words "standard of behaviour" and the behaviour of these people has simply given a negative image in the eyes of the BA and so they have come out against residential boating as a matter of principle.

That is my point.

Sadly not just in the BAs eyes either its the cause of a lot of prejudice that exists now days, it only takes one bad apple.

Fred

• Like 2

Any person or persons who choose(s) to follow the “live aboard” way of living will have my support that is provided they adhere to the rules and bylaws like anyone else .

Sadly a small minority choose to ignore these regulations and human nature being what it is this causes many to tar all live aboard and permanent cruisers with the same brush .

Whilst no-one deserves to lose their home in such a fashion and for this I feel sympathy for them , however ,I like many , will not miss the eyesore their homes had become not the detris they had allowed to build up around them 

• Like 5