New Member And Coming To The Broads

Hi Perry, until recently there was a Skanner 19 on Oulton Broad, she belonged to a good friend of mine. Had some good trips aboard her. Don't expect that you'll be tacking up the Ant very often but a grand boat on the wider rivers and of course you can go to sea. A proper little ship! I regret my friend parting with his. Where will you be keeping yours?

3 hours ago, Perryjohnharris said:

Hi All

I have finally made the desision to move my Skanner 19 sailing boat to the Broads.

I regualy visit the Broads and now is the right time to join.

Thanks all

Perry

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I’m sure we can soon convert you to adding a nice engine so joining the rank of stinkies .

joking apart , welcome to the NBN , the friendly forum 

• Like 1

Hi Perry, until recently there was a Skanner 19 on Oulton Broad, she belonged to a good friend of mine. Had some good trips aboard her. Don't expect that you'll be tacking up the Ant very often but a grand boat on the wider rivers and of course you can go to sea. A proper little ship! I regret my friend parting with his. Where will you be keeping yours?
Hi Jenny

I have recently seen another Skanner 19 moored at Hickling was very nice.

I will be keeping mine at Broads Edge mariner. I had a look around there last weekend and was very impressed.

The Skanner 19 is one of my favourite pocket cruisers. As J.M. says " A proper little ship " 
I wish you many happy days aboard her.
Hi Chris

Thanks I am always on the look out for Skanners but they seem to be quite rare.

I would really like to find out more history about them but this is also quite difficult.
Google seems to have limited information.

My boat came with lots of history including the original confirmation letter of order but I would like to find out how many are out there etc.

A lot to be said for a pocket cruiser on the Broads. My experience of my friend's boat was that she handled very well under power and sails more than adequately. I've had a 44 footer and a 27 footer whilst also owning a 21 foot Drascombe on the Broads and it's her that I've remained loyal to so to speak. Okay, so it's oilskins rather than a cabin, no fridge, microwave or TV but I enjoy a freedom that is simply not obtainable with a larger boat. Okay, so I have a house to return to but for a Broads boat a relatively small one has a great deal to recommend it. 

• Like 1

Hi Perry,

first off "Jenny Morgan" is actually a guy, his boat is called "Jenny Morgan". I made that mistake myself many years ago.

Re mooring at Broads Edge, the Ant is a beautiful river, but at weekends with all the Richardsons boats coming and going, it can be very hectic, and with many novice crews, possibly a bit dicey?.

What is she called, we'll keep an eye out when we're on Lightning in late June and early September. Also, how about a nice NBN burger for the mast?.

Anyway, welcome to the forum young sir.

1 hour ago, Perryjohnharris said:

Hi Chris

Thanks I am always on the look out for Skanners but they seem to be quite rare.

I would really like to find out more history about them but this is also quite difficult.
Google seems to have limited information.

My boat came with lots of history including the original confirmation letter of order but I would like to find out how many are out there etc.

I don't know much about them except being a sucker for round sterns and double enders they have always attracted me.

There was a nice one for sale a while back at Neil Thompson's yard when he was in Glanford prior to his move to Wells.

Their production run was quite short , just in the 80's. The company in Fordingbridge was owned by the boats designer, Micheal Hawes. Both the 19 and 24 had a very good name for build quality being very heavily laid up, using encapsulated lead ingots for ballast and having top quality woodworks.

There was a 24 at Ridge Wharf, Wareham when I moored there in the 80s, The owner described it as "A poor man's Fisher" 

I believe there was a rumour that Cornish Crabbers or another West Country builder of small yachts was interested in aquiring the tooling and rights to the range but I don't think anything came of it.

20 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The things that some folk do whilst in bed. That is admirable dedication to the NBN cause!! 

I would normally be at work now, but for the last 3 weeks, i`ve been off nursing a broken foot, that`s why i was still in bed. Karen works full time, so i`ve been getting up early and making her breakfast, then going back to bed for an hour or so. By then i`m usually awake, so i have look at faceache and the forum on my phone.

Re the Scanner range, it`s a shame they`re not built anymore, as being in Fordingbridge, they were only about 25 - 30 minutes away, so i could have applied for a job there. 

Sorry, my mind is now just full of images of boats flying burgers, perhaps the occasional hot dog and on special occasions the full English breakfast. Anyone seen flying a donner kebab will probably be dressed in pirates gear or wearing a hat with "captain" written on it.

Welcome to the forum Perry,. don't worry, you will get used to me (well most do)

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry, my mind is now just full of images of boats flying burgers, perhaps the occasional hot dog and on special occasions the full English breakfast. Anyone seen flying a donner kebab will probably be dressed in pirates gear or wearing a hat with "captain" written on it.

Welcome to the forum Perry,. don't worry, you will get used to me (well most do)

I would`nt mind a dose of whatever it is your on John? lol.

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

for the last 3 weeks, i`ve been off nursing a broken foot,

I thought you’d been posting rather a lot recently Speedtriple! Hope the foot’s getting better. 

Welcome to the forum Perryjohnharris. Sometimes topics stay on track - if you’re lucky! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1