Locks Pub

Hylander

Hmmm, I need to check this out. Had some mixed messages about the place. We will be back shortly so I'm going to investigate. I think it was run in the past commensurate with the clientele and location. I am a bit concerned in case the target audience proves to be unattainable. We shall see. 

Having said that I am, and will remain,  a keen supporter of Broadland hostelries :default_beerchug:

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well called in at the Locks today. Particularly interested in comments from Carol and JM 

Open from the moorings and no suggestion (that I detected) that boats are not welcome. Big Dog Ferry doing a good trade. All Grain beers but well kept, my 316 was very good. Prices bit on the high side but OK 

It does look quite bare though and not quite the same atmosphere. Old front door now shut, need to access via the side. 

DSC_6956.JPG

DSC_6958.JPG

DSC_6969.JPG

DSC_6965.JPG

DSC_6981.JPG

DSC_6983.JPG

DSC_6963.JPG

• Thanks 3

Me thinks the chef has been watching too many TV cooking programs. Katsu pork belly,dont work and as Peter suggested Deep fried curried haddock with a pea and mint chutney, really.As a chef good food should be basic and honest. Ie Ferry house surlingham or a bit more modern such as The new inn or The white horses in Neatishead and Chedgrave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boycee said:

Bet your in the Caxton Club now Howard.We,re moored at Beccles YS and I think I saw you go past us to moor. Are you on the Alpha 35 ?

Alan

Aw, that's us, Tower Bridge, wish I'd known, must keep a better look out, same as yours I think yes, in Caxton Club beer superb :default_beerchug:

Your right Peter,think there hoping to be different. That's okay,but this menu for me does not work .Get the basics right.People will come back,Believe me the two dishes that I mentioned dont work.Putting a few sofas and menu on a clipboard dont make a good pub.

• Like 3

Sunday afternoon Jam - a couple of years ago ...brilliant atmosphere.   Not sure about current menu but wish them luck and really hope this gem of a pub flourishes. (I am sure the menu will evolve when they find out what their market is and what they want).

11 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Your right Peter,think there hoping to be different. That's okay,but this menu for me does not work .Get the basics right.People will come back,Believe me the two dishes that I mentioned dont work.Putting a few sofas and menu on a clipboard dont make a good pub.

It doesn't work for me either, wholly unattractive, as would be burgers & chips Wroxham style. Curried fish, the thought of it, and the associated smell, urghhh! Enhance fresh fish, don't destroy it. Make mouths water rather than stomachs heave!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That menu has put me off not that I can get under beccles old bridge anyway.

Curried codswallop is missing!

Sounds like prentious crap to me.

I agree entirely. I'll be giving that a miss !

• Like 1