Locks Pub

Hylander

From the photos we're seeing and the look of the new menu I very much fear that the Locks is losing (has lost?) it's soul. Let's face it, it isn't the easiest place to get to by road or river, you have to make a real effort and there needs to be a good reason to do so. It's character was the old piano, the wine bottles covered in years of candle wax, the obscure wall hangings. The sense of being somewhere unchaged since the wherrymen stopped by for a bowl of stew, pint of black and a twist of shag.

There was nothing like sitting in the bar at luchtime nibbling on a pork and stuffing roll with the sunshine beaming through the windows, illuminating the dust motes playing in the air. Sipping on a pint of Headcracker, or in more recent years "Gone Fishing", especially on the odd occasion that somebody would pick up the guitar that was always lying around the place and give us a song or two. The landlords wife used to have a cracking voice and would often give a short performance if asked nicely.

That seems to be gone now. It would appear the place has been sterilised. We'll still pop in and see for ourselves when we're next tht way in July, hopefully the menu will have had a reality check and the pictures over emphasise the pillaging of the places character. 

• Like 9

Sorry, but I have to object.

If the beers good and the company's good that will be good enough for me.  If I don't like the menu, I don't eat there, If I do like the menu, I still probably don't eat there. I go to a pub for a beer. There are too few pubs these days that give priority to drinkers. I'll wait to see what Jayfire and Norfolknog  say about the place before I say more.

• Like 3

If the beers good and the company's good that will be good enough for me.  If I don't like the menu, I don't eat there, If I do like the menu, I still probably don't eat there. I go to a pub for a beer. There are too few pubs these days that give priority to drinkers. I'll wait to see what Jayfire and Norfolknog  say about the place before I say more.
Why?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

44 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Couldn't agree more MM and fear not, I shall be back on the rivers in a number of days and hoping to head down to Geldeston.

I'll be giving a full beer lovers lowdown on the place, and doing my bit to help keep them open by relieving them of a keg or two.

I couldn't give a curried fish fillet what food they slop up, as long as the welcome is friendly and the beer is flowing I'm all Inn.

4 minutes ago, Gracie said:

The very suggestion that my Jay and Mr N frequent pubs is ludicrous, I don't know where you get that idea from :default_biggrin:

It must be you telling everyone, you seem to want to tell everyone everything else about me :default_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Go in for a meal, go in for a drink, use em or lose em I reckon

Exactly, just as I keep telling you, use it or lose it babe :default_norty:

12 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

When are you next on the boat and will you be heading north?

A week's time mate. I'm not sure as I don't really make plans but I'm hoping too yeah :default_smile:

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

My mate came out of hospital yesterday. He looks good for looking after his mother by about Wednesday so I hope to be getting to Nyx, Thurs 23rd for about 14 days. It would be great to meet you.  :-)

I'm glad he is out of hospital and it all sounds more promising now mate.

If I do head up North I'll let you know, I'm sure we could find time for a beer somewhere :default_beerchug:

Will you not be venturing South at all?

I must admit I tend to drink in pubs more than eating in them. The only drinking I ever do on the Broads is in pubs. To be fair the 316 in the Locks was very good. However I do agree, as a long standing Locks fan, it has lost its quirky charm I think Colin really understood the pub so let's see how it fares in the future.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

However I do agree, as a long standing Locks fan, it has lost its quirky charm I think Colin really understood the pub so let's see how it fares in the future.

I think we have to accept that whilst quaint quirky pubs are a God send when its viable, the world continues to turn and a pub has to decide if it wants to try and remain as it is and struggle potentially closing for good, or modernise and have a chance to survive.

Now I haven't been into the "new" Locks yet, and obviously hope it has managed to balance the fine line between the two, but I'd much rather a pub sorts its beer out, be friendly and modern, than try to keep hold of a model that it can't sustain and close meaning we lose it for good.

A great example of what I mean is The Ram at Brundall. It was, let's face it, dated and struggling. Today it is modern and clean and fresh, it doesn't have the older look it once did, but I have yet to call in and fail to see it thriving. And what a great sight it is to have a village pub, reopened, looking to stay open and providing a focal point, a community hub at the centre of the village.

I couldn't care less what their menu contains, and as yet they are still in the early stages of their food menu I believe, but you walk in, are made to feel welcome, get a decent beer and, for me at least, I have stood at the bar next to the locals and been invited into their conversation and had a ruddy good evening making new friends at the bar.

I'd much prefer this than an empty pub with a posh menu at 30 quid apiece.

Go in, sit down, drink beer, cheers :default_beerchug:

Sorry Alan, you are wrong. I regularly drink in pubs that don't do food. They are fairly busy, frequented by people who don't want to sit there watching the general public displaying appalling table manners, watching young children masticating open mouthed and seeing plate loads of half eaten meals being taken back into the kitchens for disposal.

Yes these pubs are in a minority, but they can, and do exist.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Alan, you are wrong. I regularly drink in pubs that don't do food. They are fairly busy, frequented by people who don't want to sit there watching the general public displaying appalling table manners, watching young children masticating open mouthed and seeing plate loads of half eaten meals being taken back into the kitchens for disposal.

Yes these pubs are in a minority, but they can, and do exist.

Hi John,

Lets call it a difference of opinion then, I have however been involved in the service industry working hand in hand with the brewing industry for well over 40 years, in my location there are at least 6 pubs that have been pulled down or tuned into shops or petrol stations, one of the later used to do over 20 barrels a week and was a vibrant if somewhat volatile pub. Within two miles of where I live there is at least ten affiliated clubs that have shut down.

The only upturn I see in our location is even in small pubs is an increase in revenue due to having live bands.

You may not like it but Wetherspoons seem to have the right model, they are always full, the beer is well kept and there is always offers on food and drink.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

These days a pub that only sells beer and not food, is doomed to failure.

It is purely that statement where we disagree. If you meant just on the broads, then I might be on thinner ice as it being a holiday area and family friendly pubs selling food are likely to be more popular than those catering for an adult clientele.

I'm sure we would also disagree with what we perceive as the reasons pubs are struggling these days. I know my views are unpopular on this, but the popular view has the ruling voice, and the pubs are still closing !!! Such is life.  

• Like 1

Out of my two locals one does no food at all and the other does sausage rolls and pork pies on certail days only and they are both thriving but they are in a town, the one with no food doesn't even have a warm welcome to strangers as the landlord is the most miserable git I've ever known (if he smiles we put down to wind) but still thrives.

On the broads or out in the villages I doubt many pubs would survive without food these days as it's the one bit the pubcos/breweries/taxman doesn't hammer.