Don’t Get Me Started.

What is it with these children in their lowered cars ( illegal) if it hasn’t been insurance assessed. That’s not the point though. THE CHUFFING FIZZ BANG EXHAUSTS!!! Surely they’re illegal? Where are the bizzies when you need them? Only took the dog for a walk used the bags on myself!!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Haha 1

Where I live in Lowestoft this type of thing is becoming a big problem.  It sounds like vehicles are racing across the town when its dark most nights of the week with loud exhausts popping and backfiring.  Unfortunately for me and my neighbours these imbeciles regularly congregate at night in at-least 2 different locations within 100m of my house.

The Police tell me they have powers to destroy their vehicles but are unlikely to have the resources to catch them in the act whenever i have phoned their behaviour in.........  

I am tempted to get myself a decent dashcam and spend a few evenings trailing round after these idiots.  Its much easier for the Police to park a van up with a camera in it in a 50 limit on a dual carriageway than it is to go out and put a stop to the real dangers on the road, I have to say loud exhausts make me feel like I could see myself committing murder, I suppose the police would come out then!!!!

• Like 1

Whilst I too am not a fan of these “barryed” cars , I remember when I was young and did things like remove the baffles from my ped exhaust etc etc , if the extent of their misbehaviour is having these meets as opposed to what sadly many others are doing nationwide ie violence , stabbing etc I would be inclined to turn the tv up and ignore it ,

we were all young and foolish once it’s just we couldn’t afford cars then 

• Like 5

My car is about an inch off of the floor and makes a right noise when I drive by.

In my case though, that's because my suspension has snapped and there is a great hole in my exhaust :default_hiding:

I don't call youngsters doing burnouts and doughnuts on a public road adjacent to a residential estate a bit of fun!  

I was a young driver once and was taught to respect people and property from an early age, there was no way I’d have treated my car like that.....no way!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I don't call youngsters doing burnouts and doughnuts on a public road adjacent to a residential estate a bit of fun!  

I was a young driver once and was taught to respect people and property from an early age, there was no way I’d have treated my car like that.....no way!

Who mentioned the word fun? And sorry to say this but it is a slightly different world to the one that you grew up in.

Flick knives are now machet`s and loud motorcycles are more likely to be the cars you mention.

I would agree that it's pretty anti social, however I don't think the way they treat there car shows a lack of respect for there own property. Any money you like, they all wash there cars before they take them out, clean inside and out, are probably serviced (oil change etc) more regularly than a lot of cars that are on the road. 

Also, massively unpopular opinion, if the engine wasn't meant to rev to 9k rpm, why does it. 

So although they don't perhaps particularly respect others, I would strongly suggest they respect there cars.

• Like 2

On one side I have a forty year old with a rally ready 'Landy' with, at the flick of a switch, through exhausts, he also has a racing catamaran that he runs up several times a week micro fine tuning it for Thursday night racing on the Broad. On the other side, another forty year old has a track ready Audi something or another, very tasty, that too has flick of the switch through exhausts which get well aired in his garden when he comes home off the oil rig that he works aboard. On the other side of the Broad lives another forty year old, a lady who travels to work and back in her helicopter. On the other side of the road lives a retired oil rig worker with a penchant for throaty motor-bikes. After forty eight years of marriage and four children and eight grandchildren I have learned to turn my ears off, a handy attribute!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

If it’s any consolation a chav chuffed the rear end of my brothers Zafira a few weeks back. My brother having been in the motor trade most of his working life said look the cars only worth a few hundred quid, bung me half a g and it’ll save the paperwork. The twonk pipes up and says why ain’t you insured etc. Didn’t get  the rest of the story except bro sticks car under the mechs nose when he gets to work, mech says it’s a write off, bro does research on the chav via fb, reports to insurers who come back and say the lad isn’t insured, bro says he’s shocked as uninsured chav had kids in child seats in the car however having already checked DVlA’s site found car was not taxed so suspected as much. Insurance let bro buy it back for a song as a class s or something don’t fully understand but cheap motoring for another year is the silver lining, doubt the insurers will get any money from chav and we wonder why premiums keep rising?

32 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

On one side I have a forty year old with a rally ready 'Landy' with, at the flick of a switch, through exhausts, he also has a racing catamaran that he runs up several times a week micro fine tuning it for Thursday night racing on the Broad. On the other side, another forty year old has a track ready Audi something or another, very tasty, that too has flick of the switch through exhausts which get well aired in his garden when he comes home off the oil rig that he works aboard. On the other side of the Broad lives another forty year old, a lady who travels to work and back in her helicopter. On the other side of the road lives a retired oil rig worker with a penchant for throaty motor-bikes. After forty eight years of marriage and four children and eight grandchildren I have learned to turn my ears off, a handy attribute!

It's staggering just how unlucky some people are! All those fine people having such a curmudgeon as a neighbour. :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, riverman said:

I would agree that it's pretty anti social, however I don't think the way they treat there car shows a lack of respect for there own property. Any money you like, they all wash there cars before they take them out, clean inside and out, are probably serviced (oil change etc) more regularly than a lot of cars that are on the road. 

Also, massively unpopular opinion, if the engine wasn't meant to rev to 9k rpm, why does it. 

So although they don't perhaps particularly respect others, I would strongly suggest they respect there cars.

I bet they all buy a set of fresh tyres monthly to...hmmm!

How many of them must run about till mot time with half bald tyres, and in a place like Lowestoft they know the chances of getting caught are next to zilch as there are no police resources. 

If it were up to me anybody caught misusing a motor vehicle in a public place would have their licence torn up for at least a year and be made to resit the test.  

Loud exhausts however amusing or fun the owner might think they are on a road use motor vehicle would be banned to.  They cause totally unnecessary noise pollution that can be heard reverberating across most towns in the UK nightly. 

We have to stop this  growing habit of thinking we must accept what is actually utter stupidity as the new normal.

How about we all see how quiet we can make our cars, wonder what the boy racers will do when we are forced to go electric!!!

• Like 1

There is a Europe wide limit on the dbs permissible from exhausts. It’s quite high at 88 but any louder than this should be removed from the road and crushed. 

Millies exhausts are sports adaptive and I can turn them on or off. On on the open road and off getting her out of the garage.

My neighbors have a Maserati ( loud) and another one has a Carera 4 Cabrio. I can hear both of them whenever there is a sunny Sunday morning. 

Millie is louder than both but I start her in the underground garage with loudness off. Just cos I’m nice.. 

Illegal mods should be crushed also, why aren’t plod doing something or do they figure whilst revving and doughnutting there not robbing or stabbing someone? 

• Like 2

I find the exhaust note of very high end purpose built sports car to be totally inoffensive knowing that a highly qualified engineer will have spent many many man hours achieving the perfect note.

On the other hand Subaru Impreza’s and souped up Fiesta’s with ego boosting exhausts offend me no end!  They just sound terrible.

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

If it were up to me anybody caught misusing a motor vehicle in a public place would have their licence torn up for at least a year and be made to resit the test.  

Loud exhausts however amusing or fun the owner might think they are on a road use motor vehicle would be banned to.  

I couldn't agree more, it would get rid of all the old coffin dodgers who can't maintain speed or keep up with traffic, all the lost idiots on holiday preforming illegal manoeuvres, all the mid-life crisis lot on there Harleys and Sports bikes, and all of those with too much money who can afford a nice car, that makes a offensively loud albeit beautiful noise. 

• Like 2

I used to have a Yamaha TRX850 twin with a set of ART race cans on it, lovely sound and enough pressure out the back to strip the feather's off a seagull!

Have now got a 3 wheel kit car with a straight through exhaust.

It's all about respect and understanding, when in a built-up area keep the revs down.

• Like 2