Mooring In August

Coryton

Hello everyone

I will be hiring a boat for two weeks on the Broads in August - it will be my first time in the area and I get the impression that moorings will be quite popular.

I imagine that some of what I've read is a bit exaggerated, i.e. you have to start looking at lunchtime if you want to find somewhere for the night. After all, everyone must find somewhere or they'd be illegally cruising around in the dark without lights all night.

But I've read a few blogs from people out and about in August and I do get the idea that one needs to be fairly flexible.

So for those of you brave (or foolish) enough to be out and about in August, what's your strategy for finding somewhere for the night?

I believe that we're allowed to use rhond anchors (seems strange to me - my limited boating experience has been in Ireland where we were told to keep well away from river banks unless at a mooring) but are there many places where it's practical and permitted to use them? 

You don't say where you are starting from but in 2 weeks you could easily do the Northern and Southern rivers. As JM says, it is generally quieter down on the Southern rivers and would be easier to find a mooring.

The really popular spots such as Ranworth and horning will be very difficult unless you are very lucky.

A lot of people (like me) like to moor near a pub, so those moorings are always busier. You might consider mud weighting particularly if you have a dinghy to get ashore. There are so called 'wild' moorings, basically river banks without quay headings but where you can moor with rhond anchors. Just watch out for no mooring signs or yellow posts indicating hazards.

I am afraid though that August will be busy, as you mentioned be flexible, that is your best bet so if your chosen mooring is full be prepared to have a plan b. You will stand more chance if you can moor a bit earlier or around 10.30 - 11.30 as everyone stops for lunch at 12! Similarly in an afternoon don't leave it too late!

Try setting off a bit earlier in the morning too, don't wait for everyone on board to have a shower before you set off!

Good luck!!!

• Like 2

Hi folks,

Coryton is new to the Broads, and DOES`NT have any experience of tides and how to use them. In his other post, i`ve recommended he stay North for the first week or so, and come south near the middle of their holiday. They`re starting from Potter Heigham, so as newbies, i believe it`s better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Fair point, probably best to get used to the boat first. Yarmouth will be busy - but Woods do provide good information folders including detailed advice on crossing Breydon. Also I'm sure we'll all be happy to give any advice on this subject if it would help.

Another point I forgot to mention is that on a hire boat you can moor in just about any other hire boat yard. Most will be have the majority of their boats out in August so that is another option.

• Like 2

Just to add really that some pub moorings can be booked in advance, not sure how far in advance you'd have to book for August as I've never done it but others here have and can give more details.

As you rightly say, everyone finds somewhere to moor before dark, the key really as said above is to be flexible. Once you have stopped for the day and the rivers become quiet just about anywhere you have ended up won't disappoint!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Another point I forgot to mention is that on a hire boat you can moor in just about any other hire boat yard. Most will be have the majority of their boats out in August so that is another option.

if the next day is changeover day, then the yard may ask you to leave fairly early before all their boats arrive back and they get busy, but other than that its a good option.

• Like 2

We are also away in August and have done so in August for the last two years. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes. Couldn't get moored at Horning, (but then we have never managed that at other times), but other than that not a problem really, just be prepared to be flexible. If you want a definite place then be prepared to go earlier. We like the wild mooring spots as we can then be away early in the morning. There is something magical about the 5am cup of coffee watching the mist slowly disappear and then being ready to set off before the rest of the world wakes up. We then moor up for breakfast and showers etc after lots of others have moved on. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grendel said:

if the next day is changeover day

Good point, particularly Saturday I suppose. Yard staff are usually very helpful in my experience and will advise. 

53 minutes ago, Kron said:

being ready to set off before the rest of the world wakes up. We then moor up for breakfast and showers etc after lots of others have moved on. 

Good advice. Plus you don't need to be actually moored up to shower {assuming you're not solo of course) the engine will heat up quicker under load rather than idling on moorings and disturbing others. Breakfast can also be taken on the move or have a tea/coffee for starters and breakfast later, that's what we do even in winter. 

I believe that moorings can be booked at the New Inn Horning but can't think of any others off hand. The Bridge stopped doing it a while back. I think moorings may be bookable at Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations? 

My 5 pennuth!!    If you go South , it is a different ball game to up North with regard to bank mooring.     My advice would be to stick to the 24hr moorings , yacht stations and hostelries.         Up North you can bank moor where safe to do so (remember trees have roots that protrude into the water) and certainly not on someone's prize lawn.          There are Augusts and Augusts,  some are very busy and some are not.     Weekends tend to be busier than in the week.        There are some fabulous moorings down South,  I am sure there is a list somewhere , and they are all safe together with a list of yards and the facilities they offer, ie pump outs , water etc.  

Mooring on Rhond anchors isnt a mystery and I am sure someone on here will give you some important pointers as to how to moor on Rhond anchors.   The River Ant has some lovely informal moorings.       How Hill has loads of moorings.      St Bennett's Abbey has good moorings.   As has been said sometimes  it is purely the luck of the draw.    You can pass a mooring and find it full up and if you had passed 5 minutes later there would have been space.

Finally,  I will shut up in a moment,   bring with you a 'just in case meal' if you intend to eat at pubs.    Otherwise bring food for a  few days and take it slowly.

• Like 1

I too am on the water early August, I will be headed down south for the Wooden Boat show at Beccles (taking Jayne from Martham Boats- one of their lovely wooden boats). I generally dont worry about planning where to moor, I tend to pootle along and if I spot a place that looks nice, I will stop there. probably more important on the southern side to moor at the proper moorings than wild mooring due to the greater tidal range down south, but usually its less busy down south as well so more moorings are usually available anyway.

As long as you have provisions onboard to cook yourself a meal, you can pretty much moor up at a spot in the back of beyond and sort yourself out, its generally the pub moorings that are the popular ones, when people want to eat out.

my advice is if you want to plan a meal at a pub for a particular day, phone ahead and reserve your mooring there as well as your table.

• Like 3

The fore mentioned reciprocal mooring agreement where hire boats from one yard can moor at another hire yard is probably still good on the North Rivers but not so relevant down South due to the lack of hire yards. This is more relevant to those of you definitely coming South. Sandersons at Reedham is now no longer with Hoseasons, whether that will effect mooring availability only time will tell.  

• Like 2

Good point JM 

The reciprocal moorings agreement is via the Hire Boat federation rather than Hoseasons not sure if Sandersons will continue with that. Otherwise it's pretty much Silverline, freedom or Pacific down South now. But as mentioned moorings are quieter anyway. 

• Like 4

Some good advice given so far it's refreshing to read some balanced views as opposed to the unfair criticism of the North Broads that sometimes goes on. People will tend to say "ooh, in the summer you have to moor for the night by lunchtime" which is complete nonsense, as long as you're prepared to be flexible as others have said. The North Broads also has it's quieter areas, for example above Wroxham Bridge if your boat will pass through, Upton Dyke, Dilham and the like. Going south is nothing to get nervous about - just follow the well publicised guidelines about Great Yarmouth and Breydon and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

Most of what I was going to post is covered above

There are probably others which more informed members will add to but I've already booked two moorings for our first two nights

We are hiring from Pacific at Loddon

Surlingham Ferry for the first night, because I love that pub and it will mean I can have a stop of at the Beauchamp or Coldham Hall on the way (never been in either) and not worry about getting to the mooring quickly

Reedham Ferry for the Saturday, again love the pub but I want to be arround Reedham to go north earlyish on the Sunday

In answer to Grendel, I booked these two months ago

The only other place I know you can book is the The New Inn Horning, they insist you eat there, which imo opinion is totally reasonable, we only eat in pubs when we are away

We moored at The Waveney House Hotel Beccles last year, there was a sign saying you could book moorings, our intention was to only stay for a few hours to let the tide drop to be safe under the bridge but stayed the night after a chat with them

I also think the Waveney River Centre takes bookings, but not totally sure

We hire a dinghy, just as insurance to get to the pub, I barely cook and it's my wife's holiday too

You can book at Yacht Stations

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.

If the people we meet when we're there are as friendly and helpful as on this forum I'm sure we'll have a great time.

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Come South onto the Waveney & Yare for one thing but please don't tell everyone!

With two weeks to spend, we're definitely planning on coming South - it would be silly to miss out on it. I've not been put off getting there. We have (some) experience on Lough Erne having to keep to channels and stay between markers and managed pretty well. And we'll do it at slack tide.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

You don't say where you are starting from

Potter Heigham.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

A lot of people (like me) like to moor near a pub, so those moorings are always busier. You might consider mud weighting particularly if you have a dinghy to get ashore. There are so called 'wild' moorings, basically river banks without quay headings but where you can moor with rhond anchors. Just watch out for no mooring signs or yellow posts indicating hazards.

We'll probably be mostly cooking on board so being near a pub won't be a necessity, so long as we can stop at some point to top up water when we need to.

Mud weighting sounds fun (do they really let you do that in a hire boat) but I'd be a bit nervous of doing it without a dinghy - no way of getting out in an emergency (though I suppose if the boat catches fire and you're the wrong side of it to the dinghy it's not much help). And we don't want the added hassle of having a dinghy to deal with - it will only be our second time hiring a cruiser.

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Coryton is new to the Broads, and DOES`NT have any experience of tides and how to use them. In his other post, i`ve recommended he stay North for the first week or so, and come south near the middle of their holiday.

Fair point. Then again if we'd hired on the South we'd have to cope straight away.

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Good advice. Plus you don't need to be actually moored up to shower {assuming you're not solo of course) the engine will heat up quicker under load rather than idling on moorings and disturbing others. Breakfast can also be taken on the move or have a tea/coffee for starters and breakfast later, that's what we do even in winter. 

We'll have 2 or 3 adults to drive, and I get the impression that unlike Lough Erne we won't feel the need for a second person with binoculars to check marker numbers and work out where we are on the chart while the person at the helm avoids going off piste.

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

My 5 pennuth!!    If you go South , it is a different ball game to up North with regard to bank mooring.     My advice would be to stick to the 24hr moorings , yacht stations and hostelries.       

Just curious...why is that?

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Good point JM 

The reciprocal moorings agreement is via the Hire Boat federation rather than Hoseasons not sure if Sandersons will continue with that. Otherwise it's pretty much Silverline, freedom or Pacific down South now. But as mentioned moorings are quieter anyway. 

On the Herbert Woods web site they just say "Free mooring is available at any British Hire Boat Federation Boat Yards." without providing a list. 

55 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Some good advice given so far it's refreshing to read some balanced views as opposed to the unfair criticism of the North Broads that sometimes goes on. People will tend to say "ooh, in the summer you have to moor for the night by lunchtime" which is complete nonsense, as long as you're prepared to be flexible as others have said. The North Broads also has it's quieter areas, for example above Wroxham Bridge if your boat will pass through, Upton Dyke, Dilham and the like. Going south is nothing to get nervous about - just follow the well publicised guidelines about Great Yarmouth and Breydon and you'll be fine. 

Yes I didn't think it was as bad as the doomsayers make out. We should get through Wroxham, with a pilot (which is fine by me).

• Like 4

My 5 pennuth!!    If you go South , it is a different ball game to up North with regard to bank mooring.     My advice would be to stick to the 24hr moorings , yacht stations and hostelries.       

As a novice on the Southern Rivers I would advise as above.       What may look like a dabbydozy of a mooring at high tide can be a different matter at low.    I am talking about informal moorings.

15 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Virtually every hire yard is even the independents like Pacific and Woods of course! 

I did rather assume that Woods is a member.

I expect when we get there they'll give us a list of where we can stay, though I'd prefer something other than a marina for the night given the choice.

6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Good point, particularly Saturday I suppose. Yard staff are usually very helpful in my experience and will advise. 

I believe that moorings can be booked at the New Inn Horning but can't think of any others off hand. The Bridge stopped doing it a while back. I think moorings may be bookable at Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations? 

And WRC i believe too.

Hi Coryton,

You say you`re NOT necessarily looking for pub moorings. That`s great, up north there are mile upon mile of tree lined rivers, so you can wild more all over the place. Be careful to check for any "no mooring" signs though, as often these are placed where underwater obstructions (very rare though) may be, or it could be someone just does`nt want to let people moor on their land, again quite rare.

The reason for not wild mooring on the south rivers is because of their extra width and depth, they flow faster, and have a bigger tidal rise and fall. This often results in a large shelf in front of the bank, which will see you high and dry. 

Which boat have you hired, if you let us know, we can tell you whether she will go under  the bridges etc, though seeing as you`ve said Woods have said about the pilot at Wroxham, may we assume you have one that already can.