View From My Cockpit This Evening

Finally, at last, and those that know will tell you there were times we thought this would never happen.

Then again it's all part of the ritual that is wooden boat ownership. 

20190712_170002.thumb.jpg.5fef7cb32272a5337605a9e00a41e6c8.jpg

Just got to finish the 200 or so little jobs that crave my attention, like fit the galley20190712_181639.thumb.jpg.43d8c7acf11c063a34b7fd4d7e24ad4b.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

“Finally, at last, and those that know will tell you there were times we thought this would never happen.

Then again it's all part of the ritual that is wooden boat ownership. 

Just got to finish the 200 or so little jobs that crave my attention, like fit the galley”

You  have 3 weeks, what’s the problem. 

Well done Dave she looks stunning. 

• Like 1

Ex Aston Lion or Aston Cairn class by the look of her?. If she is, they were really spacious inside, having the usual V berths up front with toilet and shower, and galley behind, and the dinette, and possibly a settle opposite?. Is that right, or should i get out more?. 

45 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Ex Aston Lion or Aston Cairn class by the look of her?. If she is, they were really spacious inside, having the usual V berths up front with toilet and shower, and galley behind, and the dinette, and possibly a settle opposite?. Is that right, or should i get out more?. 

She is Cairn Neil. A boat you have had previous experience of IIRC.

37 minutes ago, grendel said:

who needs a galley, just start a small bonfire on the floor :default_coat:

Peter!! :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Oh ey? Is it really JA? 

Well done Dave and crew she looks stunning and it's soo nice to see :) So pleased for you all.

I hope she's swelling up well and enjoying the water already!

Can't wait to see her on the rivers soon :)..

:default_icon_bowdown:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

She is Cairn Neil. A boat you have had previous experience of IIRC.

Peter!! :facepalm:

No, apart from seeing her in the Hoseasons Brochure, and looking through the doorway when we saw them in their Loddon yard in 1970.

I have happy memories of Astons in 1970. 

Aston Starlight class, Seamaster 27 x2

Aston Goose and Poppy classes, Seamaster 28 ctr ckpt x7

Aston Cairn and Lion classes All timber aft cockpit x8

Aston Drake Elysian34 hull, custom timber top x1

Aston Admiral, Elysian 34 x2 (i think?)

Aston Oak class, Bourne 35 hull, Aston grp top x4

Aston Nelson, Bourne 35 hull, timber Aston top x4

Aston Emerald, all timber 37ft x1

Aston Vega and Mars classes, Bourne 40 hull Aston grp top

Aston Thames class Bourne 40 hull Aston grp top ............... 4 of these in the field behind the office waiting construction for the following season.

I think i need to get out on the bike more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

No, apart from seeing her in the Hoseasons Brochure, and looking through the doorway when we saw them in their Loddon yard in 1970.

I have happy memories of Astons in 1970. 

Aston Starlight class, Seamaster 27 x2

Aston Goose and Poppy classes, Seamaster 28 ctr ckpt x7

Aston Cairn and Lion classes All timber aft cockpit x8

Aston Drake Elysian34 hull, custom timber top x1

Aston Admiral, Elysian 34 x2 (i think?)

Aston Oak class, Bourne 35 hull, Aston grp top x4

Aston Nelson, Bourne 35 hull, timber Aston top x4

Aston Emerald, all timber 37ft x1

Aston Vega and Mars classes, Bourne 40 hull Aston grp top

Aston Thames class Bourne 40 hull Aston grp top ............... 4 of these in the field behind the office waiting construction for the following season.

I think i need to get out on the bike more.

Emerald was a cracking looking boat.

I have the first of the  Lion's tucked away.

• Like 1

Many of those Astons did long service, the GRP boats especially and were still around when I first came to the Broads in the 80s. The only time I ever holidayed on an Aston was with my parents in 1983 on Aston Goblin, one of the Aston Wizard class from Loddon. It was one of the many 30 foot centre cockpit (Bourne?) types. It was our first time on the South Broads, first time across Breydon and I have happy memories, even though we broke down 3 times. This year I have Song of Freedom (ex Aston Vanguard) booked for October, one of 3 ex-Astons in the Freedom fleet. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Many of those Astons did long service, the GRP boats especially and were still around when I first came to the Broads in the 80s. The only time I ever holidayed on an Aston was with my parents in 1983 on Aston Goblin, one of the Aston Wizard class from Loddon. It was one of the many 30 foot centre cockpit (Bourne?) types. It was our first time on the South Broads, first time across Breydon and I have happy memories, even though we broke down 3 times. This year I have Song of Freedom (ex Aston Vanguard) booked for October, one of 3 ex-Astons in the Freedom fleet. 

Hi Simon,

The Wizard class, along with the Florida class, and another on the same mouldswere Seamaster 30 hulls, with custom tops. They have quite a high freeboard, and the sliding canopy does`nt go all the way down (ask Paul aka Peter`s Joy), which restricts bridge passage.

Some of them are still going strong, and some are in a tatty state, the one at the old "Riverine Boatcraft"  yard in Loddon being a prime example. They were strongly built, so would make excellent project boats providing they`re done properly. 

The one`s i referred to in my other post "Aston Poppy" class were in fact originally called the "Aston Heron" class and re-named Poppy class when they were later modified to have fold down wooden side screens to the cockpit, but retained the canvas cover. A bit of misleading info there, so sorry for that. We saw one of these when we were on Lightning last week going around the Yare. There`s also the Poppy one (still called Poppy) moored at Maffets caravan site which was originally Gale cruisers. You can always tell the ex Aston ones because of the strange double angle aft cabin face, (i think it was a 50s style thing) plus they had the aft cabin tops raised with an infill to gain more headroom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

I hope she's swelling up well and enjoying the water already!

Oh yes, she has certainly indulged in the local tipple most comprehensively. 

20190713_103211.thumb.jpg.c7d3b647112f020d1539fc5de74d469b.jpg

My technical floaty device shows the bilge water being held just below the floor :default_biggrin: