New Member!

TheLaird

Hi. Just joined 'cos I am planning to drop my boat into the Broads sometime.  I got it wet 3 weeks ago

in Plymouth and our next holiday is going to be nearer home. I live in Bedfordshire!

We have a Shetland 535 and have owned it for 10 years.

Clive.

DSCF1289.jpg

• Like 5

Many thanks folks!  I will be asking lots of questions on here.

Ialso think I can contribute to the forum.

I think I will still have to drop my mast at Potter Heigham. We shall see, the aerials can drag OK

Picture is my wife In the sea lock into Sutton Harbour in Plymouth..

P1010023.JPG

• Like 2

I have a very soft spot for the older Shetlands, that is those produced before the present owner. Back in 1984 we had  31ft Berwick but it was a bit big for getting up the little creeks of Poole Harbour. When the berth next to ours became vacant at Ridge Wharf I took it on to get a smaller boat. (We missed the Sea Wych). I don't remember how it came about but we decided to buy a small motor boat. 

On the way back from a meeting in Staines I called in at Windsor Marina on a whim and saw a Black Hawk, on a trailer with a large Mercury on the back, we haggled and agreed £1 south of £5K. 

Two days later after an early morning flat out test run down The Thames scattering ducks and moorhens everwhere. (Not me at the helm) I picked it up.

That is where our troubles began. We had  to vacate our house in Little Chalfont and were in short term rented accommodation as the roof was off our new home in Bledlow Ridge. I parked our new aquisition outside and all the other residents were not ammused. This saw me heading for Wareham after tea the next day, just making last food orders at The Half Way Inn, sleeping on the boat and leaving at the crack to get to my office in Perivale by 9.00am.

However it was worth the troubles. It was virtually new, the berth cushions were still in poly covers. It was great for quick runs to Studland and going round the islands. I even towed it behind the Berwick to South Deep one weekend as a sort of large tender. We never tried that again!

Looking at the picture of it with my late wife and youngest (he is now 43) I guess I can see why the two next doors were going to lynch us.

Actually I would not mind her now with an engine downsize for above "The Bridge"

I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with your Shetland Clive, you will be able to get to the best places and quietest places.

20190607_151626.thumb.jpg.9bd5a7f6c687bd47583c9ba79b13ded7.jpg

• Like 2

Long time Dave. How's things, where are you now?

Is your dog a fully trained sea dog now?

We had a visitor to our boat whilst moored in Plymouth.

Turns out it lives on a boat in the harbour and has a cat flap in the

cabin door!  Tends to visit various boats in the harbour!

20190703_200439.jpg

20190707_134400.jpg

Lost the dog 2 months ago, with old age he preferred to stay with a dog sitter for longer outings, there will be another once we get the next holiday out of the way and it will be another rescue mut.

Moor at thorpe st.andrews nowadays.

• Like 1