Commanding Freedom

Boatingman

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

I have to say that the ‘master cabin’ looks cramped and claustrophobic to me. Maybe it’s the way the photo has been taken?

I've hired Contessa from Richardsons which is an almost identical layout and yes the master cabin is small by modern standards but it is a 1980s boat after all and at a budget price.

I'm really pleased to see Commanding on hire at last and will certainly hire it if ever I can persuade a big enough crew to accompany me. It's a great design being more spacious than it's more common 32 foot cousins. A down side of it is the high stern deck makes stern moorings awkward for getting on and off so it's not a boat for anyone with even mild mobility issues. 

I love this style of boat, that high steering position gives a great view out over the marshes so pleased to see another one on hire. I did look at her for our October half term dates but she looks a good deal more expensive than either Contessa from Richardsons or Princess from Pacific. 

Interstingly looking at Craig's boat database he has Pacific Princess listed as a Broom 37, built by Brooms, however she used to have a brass plaque in the wheelhouse "Built By John Williams, Stalham". She originally entered service as Mediterranean Sea with JW.

• Like 1

Before purchasing Sunbird (ex-Astons), I looked at Pacific Princess. At the time the yard was in a change of management/might be/could be/will it, won't it/who knows sort of situation. I do remember seeing that plaque, and at the time wasn't greatly impressed by the dark wood interior, not helped by the lack of roof lights in the saloon. I did holiday previously on "Doubloon" from Buccaneer Boats, another 37 footer, and it was that experience that convinced me to look for that style of boat when I was in a position to purchase.

9 hours ago, vanessan said:

I have to say that the ‘master cabin’ looks cramped and claustrophobic to me. Maybe it’s the way the photo has been taken?

For folk expecting the comforts of home and the space of a king sized bed then yes, probably cramped but then it is a boat after all!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

For folk expecting the comforts of home and the space of a king sized bed then yes, probably cramped but then it is a boat after all!

Do people expect such things? 🤔 Not having hired for 10 years I have no idea what folk look for these days, apart from forum members of course when they post. 

I think the master cabin on those is a bit deceptive. Yes it looks cramped in photos, but actually there is room to sit upright in bed (under the flybridge 'hump') and a decent amount of room at the end of the bed at full headroom to walk around, with useful storage etc too. It doesn't photograph well, but it works quite a bit better.

We had Contessa last year after having had Santa Christina a couple of times in the dim and distant and didn't find that cabin cramped at all (and I'm 6'2"), in fact I'd say it's a very cleverly-packaged boat which somehow packs a huge amount of space into 37 feet.

They also handle excellently, have lots of space on the flybridge and fit in mooring spaces that a 45-footer has no hope of.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Post content removed as it may not have been correct! 

If a mod could delete this that would be great.

Thank you. :)

I knew you'd join us bad boy's at the back of the class eventually Mrs SR :default_wink: