Luna’s Log

Lulu

Boxing Day

We woke up quite chilly as we don’t have the diesel heater in overnight. Desmond had taken the blanket for himself sneakily so he was toasty warm and didn’t want to get out of bed until he smelt the toast.  Having not had very much sleep with the squally weather again we talked about going home. We made our way slowly back, drizzly but milder and the wind had really died down. We saw Irstead was free and made a beeline. We’ve had a lovely day.  So much wildlife watching.  A kingfisher was flying around for most of the day. The cormorants (think that’s what they are?) were diving (to the right of the cormorant photo , the kingfisher is there honest).  Had a lovely walk with Desmond. He loves Shoals Road. So much to investigate, squirrels and pheasants everywhere. Selsie washed the green off Luna so a good day all in all despite the dull weather.  

36019361-498B-4B9A-96DF-28BBFA829CA3.jpeg

2A92C452-4FE9-4BE8-9868-C84D749D54A6.jpeg

4D91BE97-4C6B-4A18-A4F3-7A877E8E1941.jpeg

C4633343-C7E0-40FF-AE10-CFAC0C9562BF.jpeg

50619B95-BC5D-4038-A2E6-E1181D80C825.jpeg

BCA261D3-A06B-4A0E-914F-9E02D3256D24.jpeg

B8783C29-70AF-4353-B955-EAD6F669FA30.png

• Love 1

I have to say, my beautiful lady (Lulu)  has a bit of a flare for this writing thing!!!

it’s all pretty wonderful being on the rivers at any time, but at Christmas due to circumstances beyond our control it’s been awesome 

• Like 2

Monday 27th December 

We had a very peaceful night at Irstead apart from some early morning splooshing and commotion under the hull. We can only assume it was the otters messing about underneath. We slept in very late for us, 7.45.  I had a leisurely walk with Desmond while Selsie made the breakfast and logged out of my NBN account!!!  

The sun really tried to make an effort  to say hello but disappeared again.  We set off at 9.30 and very slowly made our way to Neatishead. The water was like a mill pond and the light across Barton was lovely. Arrived at Neatishead to one other private boat and two Ferry Marina boats who have now left.  It’s really muddy here so we’ve moved up to the end. Ive just taken Desmond on a hunt for fudge but sadly there was none at The Fudge Lady’s stall. I may try again later…  

28FD040F-7A3F-44DB-A3BB-94373A6B72B8.jpeg

E238F3EB-D6C7-4405-8678-9C22B840DC8A.jpeg

8696DCB9-019D-419F-9118-92506AA31900.png

5B8EC039-C2B9-4E0D-80C2-0CB778C651A1.jpeg

507517D0-6353-45D8-A4B0-C67B515B454B.jpeg

4A8738C9-121E-4F23-AD71-C11BB8226820.jpeg

E47ED020-C261-4295-86D7-C1C7A199F757.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, SwanR said:

More lovely photos. Sounds like a nice little cruise. 🎄👍

A very, very slow cruise and we didn’t meet any other boats. It was idyllic. If we hadn’t got Desmond on board it would have been tempting to mudweight on Barton today as it’s so still.  So glad we didn’t go home! 

• Like 4

I took Desmond for a long walk around the village lanes and he anticipated the takeaway as we went past The White Horse. Three more private boats have since arrived. 

Our takeaway arrived bang on time and piping hot. When we did the online order we had to put an address in so put “Luna Aurora, Neatishead Staithe, on the left hand side as you look from the road” . Brilliant service and the food was excellent. Selsie had haddock and chips and I had the small Mexicano box.  Desmond may have had a couple of chips… Will definitely be doing this again.  Thank you Ray for the recommendation! 

31E1357C-A518-40BE-B11E-467FFF1CE25E.jpeg

D33E1A07-6706-49CA-A5A2-2CD4C38E5D54.jpeg

DCF0435D-45B4-409A-9047-1310FFC5AF51.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

We arrived at lunchtime on Friday and had some things to do so chose to stay in the marina until the morning. A very peaceful evening and looking forward to the week ahead.  It seemed a very long time since we had last had a whole week afloat

Saturday 26th Feb 2022

Set off from Stalham around 8.00 and what an absolutely stunning day it was. We had the Ant virtually to ourselves. We knew this week would probably be the last week we could decide where to moor and get that mooring. So Potter was our destination.  It was good to see scaffolding around the mill knowing it was being looked after.  As ever it was quite breezy at Potter and waves were rolling up the river, a sharp contrast from the millpond of the Ant earlier.  Is it ever not windy at Potter? Once moored up, Selsie went to Lathams for something he needed but they didnt have!   I treated myself to a Toblerone brownie from Bridgestones and a sausage roll for Selsie.   

I decided to see if Ray from our Three Boats in a Year club was around having only briefly waved at some time ago across the Bure.  He was having lots of fun with poo pipes but popped around to see us on Luna and then we went over to see Ray’s boat. Apparently it was a good thing I still havent got my sense of smell back! It was great to finally meet you after all this time. Looking forward to meeting Gill and Danni next time :)  

I took Desmond for a few walks over the day. He was so very happy to being back on board. He’s definitely a boat dog.  There were only a few boats on the moorings and overall very peaceful.  £1.75 left on the electric. All in all a rather perfect start to our holiday. 

D273887E-1CEC-4E3D-9CA6-494EDB745C64.jpeg

6E098612-DD49-47CE-86CA-A8C6989F021A.jpeg

E1773D6F-88E5-4CCF-B186-C27236980C79.jpeg

040AC96C-AEAC-408D-9ED3-A4197E43AD08.jpeg

ACA1790E-51B1-4FD8-A7E5-0C9A1F041707.jpeg

E6BC1481-BAD0-4DBC-8C62-ADC293A46D3B.jpeg

A628D046-31E5-4F3A-9F98-B32B6622DA26.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Lulu said:

. . . . . . . . . . Once moored up, Selsie went to Lathams for something he needed but they didnt have! . . . . .

I don’t believe you!!  At least he could have bought something they had, but he didn’t want!!  Try as hard as I might, I’ve never left there without something useful for 99p! 😉

7 minutes ago, Lulu said:

. . . . . .I treated myself to a Toblerone brownie from Bridgestones and a sausage roll for Selsie. . . . . . . .  

E6BC1481-BAD0-4DBC-8C62-ADC293A46D3B.jpeg

Cake looks far too unhealthy, Sam!  😉. Are you sure you really wanted it??😁

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I don’t believe you!!  At least he could have bought something they had, but he didn’t want!!  Try as hard as I might, I’ve never left there without something useful for 99p! 😉

He wanted a fleece waistcoat but not the same one as I’d bought and that’s all they had unless he went for the fuchsia pink number but I agree, it was a shock him arriving back empty handed.
That toblerone brownie was unbelievably unhealthy but oh so good!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Apparently it was a good thing I still havent got my sense of smell back!

The times people say that after meeting me 🙄  😂

It was lovely to meet up at last... next time I'll arrange less wind and more fragrance lol Those two things are entirely unconnected 😂

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Ray said:

The times people say that after meeting me 🙄  😂

It was lovely to meet up at last... next time I'll arrange less wind and more fragrance lol Those two things are entirely unconnected 😂

I was going to say that a little wind whilst changing the poo pipes wouldn’t have made much difference to the aroma. :default_coat:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

. . . . . .That brownie looked too good. I think my feet might take me in the direction of Bridgestones next time.

:default_biggrin:

I fear Potter may be off limits for me soon!  London cheesecakes from Lathams and Toblerone brownies from Bridgestones aren’t good for a man of my advancing years.  Just hope the bloody chippy hasn’t opened, or I may as well pre-book the ambulance!! 😉

• Haha 1

Sunday 27th Feb

Woke up early to another beautiful day so I went for a long walk with Desmond beyond the bridge. It was still pretty breezy and we had to turn Luna around. We put on  a centre line and worked out the wind should easily turn us. I had a bit of a scare as I was just starting to take the rope off the post, felt it was a bit wobbly, then the post broke away with the rope still around it and it fell into the water.  I managed to retrieve the post, unravel the rope but then it was hard to get sorted to depart, trying to keep hold of Luna.  The gentleman on the boat behind us thankfully assisted so I could get on board after seeing our predicament and we in the end did a graceful turnaround with the wind assisting. Selsie emailed the BA about the post en route to our next destination which was to be Acle.

The waves were really rolling but Luna is such a lump we hardly noticed.  We arrived around 10.00. There was only a couple of other boats and for a lot of the day the moorings were empty with the odd one coming and going.   We decided to take Desmond to the Bridge Inn. We haven’t taken him inside a pub before so only intended to have a drink to see if he behaved.  He was a good lad and the landlord brought him a bowl of water and on leaving he said Desmond had passed his first pub experience with flying colours! After a long walk along the river we decided to have a meal from the Bridge Inn and the landlord very kindly said we could have a takeaway. Desmond's food obsession means we wouldn't have had a relaxing meal although he is improving when there is food about.  We probably ate the best fish and chips we have ever had.   As so often is the case when we are afloat ,we were all falling asleep by about 9.30. 

ph view.jpg

pilot.jpg

ph.jpg

bridge.jpg

acle.jpg

IMG_9416.jpeg

IMG_9414.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9406.jpeg

acle sunset.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1