apparently they like red tee shirts and think you are a giant flower

Red Tee shirt - Agreed

Giant - But of course

Flower? - I'll take the fifth  :default_norty:

Griff

Was thinking more Triffid:default_coat:

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Well I realise I’ve forgotten to do two write ups from our weeks in the summer. I’ll do those at a later date so the logs are going to be out of sequence but never mind.  We had had an issue with the fuel tank which resulted Luna being out of action for some time while a new tank was made. As everything had to come out, we bit the bullet and had a new calorifier put in at the same time. Now waiting for the bill 😩

We’ve had a few weekends out since but decided as the weather forecast was to be quite nice, Graham and I decided to take time off work and come up for a long weekend 

Thursday 10th November.  We both worked a few hours in the morning before setting off for Norfolk arriving at the marina just after midday. Progress seems to be going well on the A11 resurfacing works and we steadily got through those. As long as we keep moving those roadworks don’t bother me.  

The forecast for the rest of the day and night was windy. The marina is too noisy for us with the clanking of the flappy things and as we were earlier than we thought, set off down the Ant at 1.00. It was very gusty so wanted somewhere sheltered. Irstead was our destination and if not How Hill. Irstead was completely free so that was easy! Hooked up to the electric then I took Desmond off for a walk towards Neatishead. I was a lot longer than planned , had forgotten to take my phone so Graham had started to worry a bit by the time I got back.  A lovely meal of chilli and rice and asleep by about 9.30 already winding down 

Friday 11th November 

It had been quite a mild night but I’d woken in the early hours convinced someone was shining a torch at the boat. I cautiously looked out and it was the moon. Everywhere was lit up. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it so bright or maybe it’s because there’s no light pollution. Apart from that, I slept like a log unlike at home. After a short walk and a bit of breakfast we set off at 8.00 and had a lovely cruise, destination Potter. We didn’t meet any boats at all on the Ant.  How Hill and Ludham empty. What a difference a few weeks make.  

I decided to brave helming Luna under the bridge (only the second time) . The bridge marker said 7’9.  We turned onto the Bure. St Benets also totally empty. We met one boat from Ferry Marine and that was it until we got to Potter. The wind was very gusty and we had quite a hairy moment turning. Adrenaline was definitely pumping as we crabbed sideways for a moment nearer to the bridge.   Moored up safely, but needing the steps to get on and off,  I went off to Lathams to get some more moisture traps and I may have got a Nutella flapjack from Bridgestones….yum. 

Once back onboard I saw Ranworth Breeze go past. Knowing Alan was solo helming and with the gusty wind as it was, Graham quickly went to help him moor up. It was lovely to meet you Alan. 

Later in the afternoon we took Desmond for a walk along the river on the other side of the bridge before having a lovely roast chicken dinner. Watched a bit of tv then another early night. We just can’t seem to stay awake beyond 9.30 on the boat! 

CD6A2D7A-324E-45ED-887D-7910DB238241.jpeg

24D5AB6A-3A87-4968-9383-24F425E9E2D6.jpeg

1DFF4DDB-CFF1-4225-81A6-B0E16DF733EB.jpeg

982B487C-197A-4DA8-B7C1-FFB3046B3872.jpeg

251D397A-9280-4059-8A98-DD0A76EA5048.jpeg

E53B35FB-B0B7-442D-8EB0-B3AFFE466C78.jpeg

475911E3-CF3C-4295-AC39-4264855819FD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Saturday 12th November 

A bit of a chillier night and was pleased to have had the tube heater on overnight to keep the edge off.  An absolutely glorious day lay ahead. Warm, sunny and blue skies in mid November.  Usually on the day before we have to go home we make our way back up the Ant but decided on Acle hoping for another night on the electric and didn’t want that feeling of having to go home. We left at 8.00 and very slowly made our way down the Thurne. The light was fantastic and the photos don’t do it justice.  We arrived at Acle sometime after 9.00. The free moorings totally empty.    Seen a few more boats pass by today. A couple of Ferry Marine and the rest private including Moonlight Shadow and Thunder. 

We popped over to the pub for a drink. It’s only Desmond’s second time in a pub. He was very well behaved and the staff absolutely lovely who made a fuss of him and gave him a bowl of water.  This afternoon I’ve been scrubbing Luna’s green patina off today in the glorious sunshine. After which I had a shower. Yet another problem. As fast as one thing gets resolved another crops up. The shower pump works fine but the ancient copper pipe is blocked so the water won’t eject. Graham managed to get around the issue with a temporary fix of a piece of hose but it seems we can’t have a cruise without an issue. The other week the starter battery died. Oh well, apart from that it’s been a fantastic day and can thoroughly recommend winter cruising- empty rivers, empty moorings and warm weather! 

1CE33FAE-5B06-47B6-9845-AA633278B6B6.jpeg

51EE46BC-9534-4724-8BC1-DA0C07ADCA20.jpeg

587BB0BC-7145-4814-AAC5-DCC9E1884B12.jpeg

B5C904AD-9122-4FF5-9474-4EDD08392B20.jpeg

D52526D7-4162-446B-A57E-4A5B0FFD23FB.jpeg

202C24CF-3AF7-4919-9451-67BA012FE968.jpeg

DDB1EBD7-5FCD-4BC1-A39C-F77302C454C0.jpeg

302EDE87-340E-4F2C-A147-042E96DEC4EC.jpeg

FEAF4A98-D62F-4FDC-B19D-F4A0E164A4C8.jpeg

99A62040-2684-446B-AD0C-BB62EA2E5F2C.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm very envious and I'm saying that after the weather has been grey this week where I live and I made the mistake of thinking I could do without boating in November. I love the photo of Desmond in your cockpit.

We had been watching the forecast since last week and this was very much a last minute decision and our bosses very good in letting us book time off with not much notice. We are very lucky. 

That’s his spot when we are on the move. As soon as the engine starts he hops up there. He knows the routine bless him. 

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyable read as usual. Thanks Sam.

Carole

15 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I'm very envious and I'm saying that after the weather has been grey this week where I live and I made the mistake of thinking I could do without boating in November. I love the photo of Desmond in your cockpit.

Know how you feeel. We made the same mistake.

Carole

• Like 1

Sunday 13th November

We set the alarm early with the intention of leaving Acle at 7.00am. It had been a very mild night so there was lots of condensation so couldn’t see a lot outside. I wiped the windows and the visibility was not good out there either!  Took Desmond for a very brief walk and we decided to wait and see if the visibility would get better. As much as we wanted an excuse to have another day afloat, we could see the sun trying to get through so put the nav lights on and set off slowly back up the Bure.  As we got to Upton Dyke it cleared enough to turn the lights off.  Good to see the Boundary Farm moorings are being repaired. Love that spot.

We turned up the Ant where there are works going on. I took Luna through the bridge again. I’m definitely getting braver. The temperature seemed to drop and Desmond Diva Dog felt chilly so we wrapped him up in another blankie.  More works going on at How Hill. We took bets on how many boats would be there.I said none, Graham won with the exact number of three boats.  Irstead was full but we had no intention of stopping anyway as we had to get back.  

We were following a woodie out onto Barton Broad and a heavy mist was hanging about so nav lights back on but it wasn’t nearly as bad as a few weeks ago.   We got back to the marina around 10 and spent a while thoroughly cleaning the boat ready for out next trip. Dehumidifier on, moisture traps dotted around as usual.  Not sure when we will be going out again as Graham is going to do a maintenance weekend to fix the shower pump issue, new taps and an expansion tank (whatever that is).

We drove home, going over Acle BrIdge and both thought how weird 4 hours prior we had been moored by Dunes Cafe and it only takes 10 mins to drive there. It has been a fantastic mini break and realise we were incredibly lucky with the weather.  Looking forward to more winter cruising over the next few months but wont expect it to be like the last few days. Now I’d better get on with the piles of washing 🙄

9353A8E7-E53A-49BF-B310-EA198C9F9F9F.jpeg

D3CE73A4-3620-4A75-8401-F28262E94EFB.jpeg

0FEF3CDA-635A-4270-9278-835B4AE541CC.jpeg

61F26E98-B5DB-463E-9F7C-B74441599A00.jpeg

CD700495-50E6-4C2A-87CC-23F7196D1768.jpeg

1BCCD8EC-3B73-4346-A81D-614000463515.jpeg

B92C6A94-E0C3-4671-8D2E-7831ECB6E5F8.jpeg

06F10EEC-D4F7-456E-816C-F0D8DD665674.jpeg

74D8988F-E557-4EEC-B864-CC0F4C179A54.jpeg

4DE341B6-CD38-49FF-AB66-5EE06248ABB1.jpeg

54AEE10D-1A0B-43DA-B3C4-51BB6518C3E8.jpeg

CC2C40BF-3850-4FDE-96FE-E98542212747.jpeg

B9D38943-E7D0-408C-925D-D7276B666C51.jpeg

EED18683-8FD9-4093-9114-EDDF40EC3E28.jpeg

77CA5EC8-81A0-4C5F-8A96-337055623175.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Your boat looks lovely Sam and what beautiful photos too. In contrast to yesterday it did seem to stay damp in the air and on the ground today. I got a couple of jobs done in the garden and it was still mild, but nothing like yesterday's sunshine.

I agree completely about how strange it is to be somewhere by car in a matter of minutes that would take you hours by boat. We drove to Stalham on Friday and remarked exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was a very productive weekend.  😁

Friday 2nd December

We both managed to get away from work early so set off for Norfolk at about 12.15. We had no expectations of getting out of the marina that day but we made good time. The 40mph A11 roadworks really arent that bad, well we dont think so anyway!  We arrived at the marina and collected marina electric cards. I’d ordered BA ones over the phone earlier in the week and they arrived the next day, excellent service.   We decided to go out as it was only 2.00 by the time we had stowed everything away. It had just started to rain as we started the engine. The windscreen wiper decided to stop working. Graham quickly worked some magic and rigged a load of cable to a 12v socket to get by.  We set off for Neatishead in the rain and gloom.  I started to fret imagining Neatishead full then would run out light trying to get back to a totally empty Paddy’s Land (i’d checked as we had gone passed).  It takes a while to get my head around, that winter boating mostly means the pick of moorings so no idea why I was so worried. Gayes staithe also empty so that was our new plan B. Neatishead was totally empty apart from two fishermen. I got a told you so from Graham 🙄.  The weather was miserable so we hooked up to the electric and I took Desmond for a very short walk in the rain. The forecast for the night was windy and sure enough it was. Not the most peaceful night due to the wind making the fenders bump against the hull. Graham was out on the deck at 1.30am pulling all the fenders on the starboard side onto the deck. 

8062BE3A-DE89-4185-9F6A-86D9230AEB6C.jpeg

• Like 6

Saturday 3rd December 

After a very interrupted nights sleep we put the ceramic heaters on before getting up and then the task of wiping the windows to get rid of the condensation. Desmond didn’t want to get out of his nest but was eventually bribed out with a piece of kibble. I took him for a longer walk as it wasnt raining. Just gloom but at least dry.  I spent some time cleaning Luna. All my hard work from a few weeks ago undone with the reoccurring green patina.  

After breakfast we set off for a mammoth cruise……..to Irstead.  We didnt feel like going very far this weekend and the whole point of it was  really more of a maintenance weekend this time so it was just a bonus to get out.  Barton was very choppy, proper sploosh sploosh on the bow which is always fun.  There was one other boat at Irstead and quite a few fishermen. I said we wanted to moor up and they said no problem at all. Graham did a perfect mooring between them so no one had to move. He was well chuffed as he was congratulated on how good that manoeuvre was. Makes a change mooring so perfectly with an audience as proof! 

After a walk down the pretty lane past the church and Desmond getting excited squirrel hunting amongst the oak trees, we settled down in the saloon while Graham fixed the shower pipe which was totally blocked. It obviously went well as I didn’t hear any swearing and the water now pumps out in no time at all. We realise now its never been right but the pipe was original from 1975.  

It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon with blue sky appearing and the light was stunning.   After a lovely meal of baked potatoes and sausages we watched a bit of tv before an early night.   We’ve decided for us the heating set up is better if we use the ceramic heaters during the day on and off as and when we need it, our diesel heating in the evening and ceramic heaters overnight and first thing in the morning so we are averaging £2 in electric over the whole time.  

3465448F-C3E3-4198-BD32-8840F727688C.jpeg

38D36F7A-64F9-4435-9A2E-8BEA6EB60B12.jpeg

25E9B746-7EF4-4296-B506-5ACD23E973A6.jpeg

21D76D89-CDFB-4775-8FA9-0ABA8F66971F.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1