Luna’s Log

Lulu

Thank you Carole. Looking forward to meeting up with you both at some point next year x

13th November

Very sound nights sleep thank goodness. Had a lovely walk around Horning in the sunshine then set off around 8.15.  We detoured around Ranworth. The taxi rank was free (we need side on moorings to get Desmond off) but we didn’t want to stop that soon.

Quite a few Ferry Marine boats around today and a few private boats but really very quiet. Seen loads of birds of prey and a kingfisher. 

Then the drizzle started just like yesterday as we were approaching Ludham Bridge.  Bridge marker was showing 7ft 9 on one side and 8ft on the other.  

I don’t know if anyone else has randomly odd conversations as you cruise along. I suddenly got thinking that Luna was first around on the rivers when I was 6 years old and I’d possibly even passed her on many childhood holidays over the years, never imagining I would own her or any boat in fact.  I feel truly lucky and very grateful. 

We had decided on Neatishead but Desmond was getting very restless suddenly (most unlike him) and needed a comfort break. Irstead was totally empty so we’ve stopped here for the rest of the day as the weather is so miserable and don’t feel like getting soaked again. (Hopefully won’t get woken up at stupid o’clock like last time!)  Also, there’s no mud here for ginger whippet feet to bring into the boat :)

I took a few l photos on my camera rather than the phone which I’ll upload when I’m home.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Great photo. Is it still raining out there? Strictly was good but I didn’t agree with the judges this evening!! :default_rofl:

Me neither. It’s raining on and off and there are fireworks going off in the distance. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Great photo. Is it still raining out there? Strictly was good but I didn’t agree with the judges this evening!! :default_rofl:

I thought  Rose was by far the best and don't understand why AJ was last.Agree think the judges don't always score fairly.And yes great photo. A ten from me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

Me neither. It’s raining on and off and there are fireworks going off in the distance. 

Oh, the fireworks the first week of November! Poor Seren did not enjoy the evenings on Moonlight Shadow. Her ‘safe’ place was unfortunately in the space just in front of the cooker, and right in front of our main crockery cupboard, so I kept having to get her to move.

The only year she hasn’t objected to fireworks was five years ago. We collected her from the farm on 5th November 2016. The puppies had been with their mother in an outhouse near the entrance to the farm yard, so used to tractors rumbling in and out. That year she wasn’t at all bothered by fireworks. 

• Like 1

13th Nov cont & 14th Nov

Just got home and downloaded a few photos I took on my camera from Horning, Irstead and our cruise back to the marina this morning.   The Broads are an absolute delight for watching how the seasons change. Shame about the almost constant drizzle over the last few days but at least it has been fairly mild.  I managed to dodge the showers to take Desmond for walks around the pretty lanes at Irstead.  Mini break went way too quickly. Back to work tomorrow :(

9E220602-D1AF-4F4F-BD9E-2D6E66A30318.jpeg

B2D606C6-C321-4C3A-9B0B-12FA1BCE0860.jpeg

11DFDD6F-3454-4A94-B249-C1CB8A81531A.jpeg

A557DAA9-2E17-482F-BDDC-871F0877BE33.jpeg

9FFC7683-37C6-4CEC-B9DE-8ED4211423FD.jpeg

26A87EA1-B9BA-4B64-A2CF-EEABED75F832.jpeg

7CADFC24-4B3C-4BB2-9E56-88A8B19DC908.jpeg

06562B0B-048A-4B52-B92C-80295A2A88FA.jpeg

2548A42C-4784-47E4-BBFE-3F26C9DA470E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Guest Trembler
3 hours ago, Lulu said:

The Broads are an absolute delight for watching how the seasons change

Isn't that so true. I hope to be enjoying watching the winter season myself between Christmas and the New Year :default_smile:

G

• 1 month later...

Christmas Eve

After a virtual family meeting we had all decided not to get together again this year with one member only just out of hospital from having Covid and our elderly parents felt happier after making the decision.  Selsie and I both finished work at lunchtime and set off for Norfolk expecting a lot of traffic but it was quite quiet and soon got to the marina before dark.  We decorated inside but with the terrible weather decided not to do the outside. I had had big plans but the wind, cold and rain put me off. 

Christmas Day

We left in the marina about 8.00am. The wind was very gusty which made leaving the marina a bit of a challenge but all was well. We didn’t meet any boats at all down the Ant. The sun made brief appearances now and then.  A fellow NBN member had asked if I could let them know the bridge height at Ludham so I took some photos of each marker.  

Our plan was Ranworth assuming it would be empty so we could side in moor to enable us to get Desmond off. It was a bit of a surprise to find it busy so rather disappointed we went to try Horning.  There was one space but decided against it as it wasn’t near the electric and would rather go somewhere quieter if we couldn’t have electric , so headed back up the Ant where we settled on the empty moorings at Ludham Bridge.   We were properly off grid in miserable weather for the first time.  For our Christmas lunch we had ordered a boxed meal from Parsley Box. It really was quite nice with no effort and just added some of our own ham and stuffing. Pudding was ginger sponge and custard. Desmond got his Christmas lunch too and we watched tv for the rest of the day.  

270A00EC-5BF8-4561-9D5A-AA1673477975.jpeg

CF094F69-A289-4D60-8E5B-7A29AB9FDEE8.jpeg

C7487670-05B1-4239-BFBF-EB0A5CBE7700.png

1EE666CC-A5F4-4451-AFCA-F2D5CDFC76D7.jpeg

57591F35-81CF-4593-93FD-9D06E0FC02AF.jpeg

9C385F70-5831-4D92-8F94-FA8BE2A09D49.jpeg

F6A90E9E-11B0-4BCE-B1F4-FF0DB89A8783.jpeg

37C7BA47-90AD-4F05-8268-A67277A6A77F.jpeg

• Like 4

We nearly decided to go home this morning. The gusty wind and cold hasn’t made it particularly pleasant but we are still out and about and it’s lovely and calm where we are now so very glad we didn’t go back. Forgot to put in my original post, quite a few Ferry Marina boats out and about once we got onto the Bure yesterday.  I don’t know what it’s usually like at Christmas or whether others made the same decision as us to not have family gatherings and to spend the festive season afloat due to covid. 

• Like 2

Brilliant news that you're afloat. It has been rather grey and cold this time round. No crisp bright Boxing Day morning. But at least you found a quiet spot in the end. Hope you're enjoying the day ... although as I look outside I see that it's dark again now. Where has the day gone?!

• Like 1