Luna’s Log

Lulu

Don't blame you for avoiding Friday evening traffic. We went to Wisley yesterday and getting back home was a bit of a trial. A slow crawl around the M25 and then up the M1 until it speeded up a past Luton. I suppose we should have counted ourselves lucky that the traffic was a least moving!

A brief account of the August bank holiday weekend.  The weather was very mediocre, most disappointing but mustn't complain, we were back on board and that was the main thing - It was a bit of a quick turnaround with washing then repacking after the week before.  Couldn't believe we were back so soon for a mini break.  

After much dithering, we decided against leaving on Friday evening on the 27th Aug.  We didn't fancy being stuck in holiday traffic so instead got up early on Saturday and were on our way by 6.30am.   We loaded Luna up and made our way out of the marina by 8.00am. The reason for getting a shift on was that we didn't want to get caught up in the Barton Regatta.   Whoop, Irstead was free and that was us moored up for the day. 89p left on the electric.  Probably our shortest cruise so far.  I took Desmond for a few walks throughout the day around the lovely narrow lanes and later looked around the church.  What a beautiful building and came across Sir Peter Scott's grave.  I didn't know he was buried there.    

The river was very busy with many sailies making their way to the regatta I assume and lots of Richardsons boats later in the afternoon.  We waved at Cerise Lady as she passed.  We watched a gentleman disappear in a boat up a narrow dyke which I had never noticed before (looked on Aweigh to see where it went and didn't realise how much more there is off the main river).  He later returned with boat loaded up with reeds.  It was a lovely sight to see along with watching Albion go slowly by.   After getting up so early we were asleep by around 9.30.  

B0DAEDFF-ED9B-4728-953C-A63397EA9E18.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpeg

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29th August 2021 - We left Irstead reluctantly at 7.15 and made our way to Acle.  The bit of blue sky from the day before had gone.  I think we arrived around 9.15 am and got the first spot near Dunes Cafe and hooked up to the electric.  99p this time on the electric post.  Selsie had a bacon roll from Dunes and I had a Bakewell tart.  I went for a couple of walks along Pedro's side to walk this off.  It was very windy, so much so Luna was rocking and rolling about and I made the mistake of having an afternoon nap and woke up feeling very sick (no it wasn't the Bakewell) so went for another walk.  I can't believe I was feeling so seasick at Acle!   We spent the day as usual boat watching.  Selsie had to call Bridgecraft at one point as we spotted one of their boats that had been moored stern on doing a rather beautiful side on mooring with no one onboard.    Later in the evening we saw Broad Ambition arrive but wasn't sure who was onboard at the time.  Couldn't see Purdey Dog anyway!  Not many photos as it was such a rubbish day.  

IMG_8389.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30th August 2021

We left Acle at 9.15 after a surprisingly warm night.  Destination was to be Fleet Dyke.  We wanted to get off the main river and have some shelter and calmer waters today!  As we passed Upton Dyke we spotted a white bird flying over the reeds.  I decided it wasn't a stork delivering my next grandchild.  It was a skinny white small heron shaped bird so assumed it was an egret as per a discussion on another thread.  Unfortunately I couldn't get my camera sorted in time.  

We arrived at Fleet Dyke at around 10.15 and moored up behind Cerise Lady.  I went to have a look at the newly done moorings nearer the broad.  Will have to go there next time.  They look very smart.   Had a good old catch up and gossip with Cerise Lady's crew and later on Selsie enjoyed a rather nice drink or two.  He sends many thanks and will return the hospitality to celebrate your new boat soon.   

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_8401.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31st August 2021

After a very restful night we left Fleet Dyke at 8.00am.  We wanted to get under Ludham Bridge before everyone else.   Selsie wanted me to take Luna through again but I bottled it as we approached the first marker post.  There were a few boats around and the breeze had got up again.   Once through we had a very slow pootle up the Ant.  We wanted to try and get onto the side on moorings at Gayes Staithe as we haven't been on those before.  Unfortunately it was totally full up, side on and stern on so we made our way to our usual last night stop, Paddy's Lane.   We got there around 10.15.  

Selsie took a hike to Neatishead for some provisions.  Desmond and I can't walk that fast so went for a more relaxed wander around the Barton Turf.  I should have taken some money as there was a little stall selling some lovely looking veg.  

The moorings were empty and remained so nearly all day.  We saw Albion go by again but apart from that it was eerily quiet and wondered if something had happened.  The odd boat started to come in and then go again.   Eventually we counted 7 boats along the whole stretch.  Most strange in August but it was rather nice.  It did seem to be Broom Skipper meet day and we chatted with two other sets of owners who arrived and discussed how we all loved our Broom Skippers.  

We couldn't believe our luck, maybe because it was so quiet but we finally got some kingfisher photos :)

It was an early start the next day to get back to the marina and visit Norfolk Marine to get a new battery to fit on our maintenance weekend.  I won't be documenting any of our weekend trips as it will just be the same old Paddy's Lane, How Hill probably!  Hoping to get one more week in or two long weekends by the end of the year.  

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_8412.png

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

. . . . . . . . . Not many photos as it was such a rubbish day.

Wasn’t it just??  It was so bad, we decided to go home to give me more time to finish painting the kitchen.  Normally, I’d do anything to avoid decorating and being on the boat is infinitely preferable usually.

• Sad 1

Lovely read again.Thanks  Sam. Particularly loved the photos of the Kingfisher. We went To visit our new acquisition this morning. It was lovely sitting on her out on the river front. We took  stock of all we want to have done and a list was duly compiled by Tony. After which  I added a few things I thought of, showed Tony the revised list after which he seemed to need resucitation. Then after  a couple of hours we went to  Brundall and had a delicious lunch in the  Yare - well being so close it would have been rude not to.

Carole

• Like 1

Lovely write up as always! I know the weather for the bank holiday weekend wasn’t the best, but I still envy people who were able to get out on the rivers. We aren’t on Moonlight Shadow again until November.:default_badday:

Too long! Mind you, we do have a fortnight so that’s extra special. :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Wasn’t it just??  It was so bad, we decided to go home to give me more time to finish painting the kitchen.  Normally, I’d do anything to avoid decorating and being on the boat is infinitely preferable usually.

That’s the beauty of living not too far away. We don’t hesitate to call it a day if we see the weather is going to be too bad and sometimes go home sooner than planned. 

25 minutes ago, addicted said:

Lovely read again.Thanks  Sam. Particularly loved the photos of the Kingfisher. We went To visit our new acquisition this morning. It was lovely sitting on her out on the river front. We took  stock of all we want to have done and a list was duly compiled by Tony. After which  I added a few things I thought of, showed Tony the revised list after which he seemed to need resucitation. Then after  a couple of hours we went to  Brundall and had a delicious lunch in the  Yare - well being so close it would have been rude not to.

Carole

So pleased the boat arrived safely and you are back on the water. Hopefully you can get all the jobs done quickly and Tony will make a speedy recovery lol 

11 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Lovely write up as always! I know the weather for the bank holiday weekend wasn’t the best, but I still envy people who were able to get out on the rivers. We aren’t on Moonlight Shadow again until November.:default_badday:

Too long! Mind you, we do have a fortnight so that’s extra special. :default_eusa_dance:

Having the heating on a couple of times over the last few weeks on the boat in August was a bit of a surprise but we are always so grateful to be onboard (unless the weather is really awful).  We are going to try and have a couple of weeks in a row next year. 8 nights is the most we have done so far.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

23rd September 2021

Very last minute decision to have a long weekend on the boat after looking at the weather forecast. Got to the marina early this afternoon and cruised straight to Paddy’s Lane. All full up so decided to try Gayes Staithe. Also full up. Crossed Barton Broad again and saw Barton Turf Staithe had space. Another first for us. What glorious weather! 

4818443C-25EC-4FF4-B479-B27AA4C0FB17.jpeg

• Like 6

24th September 

We had a lovely peaceful night at the staithe. The moon lit up the whole area. Unfortunately my camera didn’t pick up the beauty of it.  

We woke to another glorious day. We left around 7.50 with either the top of Thurne Dyke, Womack Dyke or Boundary Farm as the destination.  Passed Johnny Crowes staithe. Just one hire craft moored. 

Arrived at an empty Boundary Farm moorings around 9.50 and that’s us done for the day.  What an absolutely lovely spot and yet another first for us. I’ve spent ages sitting in the sun listening to the rustling reeds. The breeze is quite strong but warm. River is quite busy. Hoping for a lovely sunset tonight.  It’s one of those days I’ll remember when we get into the depths of winter. Totally idyllic. 

D77603A3-ADB9-4ADC-8DC7-FDB6BDD749C2.jpeg

EF3BA653-C926-43C3-B81C-6A3C610C1A0B.jpeg

D30E14F5-B27D-4B25-BCEB-237CB0A87E06.png

7CE19059-6C70-4344-A234-04B9B5BAC5CE.jpeg

E58E1E56-EE7C-489D-AE3E-B71D38B6B409.jpeg

C1E514DB-AB7F-4535-996C-CC217B343260.jpeg

4163AAD1-BA92-44CB-A9AF-8572517AF19C.jpeg

CCD44912-EE44-429F-A457-DEC009DD0020.jpeg

0C3AEC4E-651D-47F9-9750-9F2EAF221576.jpeg

• Like 8

After a lovely day, of doing not a lot and a few walks with Desmond, we have just watched a beautiful sunset. Unfortunately I forgot my camera for this trip and the iPhone doesn’t do it justice.   Just one other boat on the mooring. Think this might just have become my favourite spot. I’m always changing my mind! 

FD43CF4D-A264-4760-A1F9-FA032B8842BF.png

F8957C4F-9771-4EB1-8D56-995B0021A2C5.jpeg

3B183B65-63AC-4A58-B812-50DBD7502BFA.jpeg

B97C0E15-535C-4A0C-A93B-B7AF3F44CAE8.jpeg

856C09E0-EA94-45DF-B98D-4789894AE7DA.jpeg

53C497ED-F8C4-45AE-9C95-A108E4249FFA.jpeg

67B88C6F-8FFB-4568-88D3-068D7D1D6A32.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1