Luna’s Log

Lulu

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday 14th April

Selsie and I counted down the hours until lunchtime when we were due to finish work so we could get an early getaway to Norfolk. We were on the road by 1.30 and had a really good journey, even Thickthorn was ok. We stayed in the marina doing a few maintenance bits and bobs. 

Friday 15th April 

We set off about 7.30, destination Womack Dyke to hopefully meet up with Pipedreams’ crew. A steady stream of Richardson’s boats passed us on their way back to Stalham. Massive dilemma. Irstead was free (dither, dither,  no carry on……). It was a bit busy at Ludham Bridge but got through with no problems.  We reached the Thurne and in the distance could see over the reeds that there were plenty of spaces at Womack Dyke.  We moored up on our favourite end spot and lo and behold, Pipedreams crew came along soon after.  We traipsed off to the butchers (because it’s against the law not to). Selsie got some pork chops, a sausage roll and a scotch egg then just had to stop at the bakery on the way back. Selsie got the last slab of bread pudding and I had a couple of pain aux raisin?  (can’t spell).  Thoroughly recommend. We had never bought cakes from there before.  

Once back at the moorings we had a nose around Pipedreams. Absolutely lovely boat. We spent the day relaxing doing nothing. Desmond enjoyed the sun flooding in. I decided to have a short nap which ended up being 2 1/2 hours! then in the evening  popped next door and sat with Pipedreams’ crew. Unfortunately it suddenly got very chilly so cut our visit a bit short but a very nice time had by all.  A lovely sunset finished the day off nicely. 

61BEFF58-E584-47EB-B1C8-8C5FA2F12C0B.jpeg

EFFBB422-B7F0-4705-83C1-2CE8974AB550.jpeg

BBC5E79A-983F-4DF1-934A-126860AC7EEE.jpeg

86C62984-927B-495E-8553-FCDA1CC115D3.jpeg

F3A216BC-81CA-49F1-9611-0067A6A7D3F1.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

16th April

I woke early feeling quite chilly but it actually was quite warm outside. The sun soon warmed the boat up and I took the opportunity of the heavy dew to give Luna a wipe down.  We took Desmond for a walk and dropped the rubbish off at the bins near the staithe.  On the way back we saw lots of youngsters all getting ready at Hunters yard so decided to leave earlier than planned as we didn’t want to get caught up with lots of flappy things.   Pipedreams crew left just before us around and we decided to make our way to Fleet Dyke.  The moorings were quite empty which didn’t surprise us as even though it was still early, we had seen many boats already out and about.  We moored up at the end nearest to the broad and that was us done for the day at 9.30!  

We spent the afternoon sitting by the boat. The moorings soon filled up. Desmond enjoyed a bit of sun but then preferred to snooze in the saloon while we stayed outside . Huge change from last year when he had to be in sight of us at every minute.   I took him for his afternoon walk to the little staithe.  There were clouds and clouds of midges on the way which I tried not to breathe in.   We had the pork chops from Ludham butchers for dinner with mash. So different from the supermarket stuff. Yum.   Another fantastic day. Will probably be making our way back up the Ant tomorrow. 

3D425956-1AF6-452C-A6C7-28BD27A035D1.jpeg

26013587-4984-4D5A-AFDF-6941054A888B.jpeg

FCAE20E4-297C-4C1A-9555-2275D7486C02.jpeg

41C2C7CF-0B90-44B7-BED0-CEE3895C5D0E.jpeg

217B1080-3EB9-41FE-8BE7-EBBAF7D96E1F.jpeg

66D13B10-B5FD-44B0-94E6-D500FC7D1C6F.jpeg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Lulu said:

16th April
   We had the pork chops from Ludham butchers for dinner with mash. So different from the supermarket stuff. Yum.   Another fantastic day. Will probably be making our way back up the Ant tomorrow. 

We managed to spend £70 in that butchers on Thursday and we only went in for bacon and Norfolk sausages. 

The bins at Womack now have cctv to stop people using them that are not on a boat on the staithe  which for us is a real blow as we don’t have bins at the mooring. 

15 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

We managed to spend £70 in that butchers on Thursday and we only went in for bacon and Norfolk sausages. 

The bins at Womack now have cctv to stop people using them that are not on a boat on the staithe  which for us is a real blow as we don’t have bins at the mooring. 

Bit like Lathams then, only go in for one thing ….think we spent about £7

Im fairly certain the sign at Womack Dyke says something like , take your litter home and also mentions the nearest bins are at the staithe but could be imagining it 

23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Sounds wonderful. We loved Fleet Dyke when we were there in March. Have a lovely day today. 😎

Beautiful morning. Warmer outside the boat than in! Just about to set off 

• Like 2

17th April

After the chilliest night so far this weekend we left at about 8.15 and made our way up the Ant. I still get anxious with Ludham bridge if it’s busy  and once on the Bure there were plenty of boats on the move. No problems through the bridge. Had a bit of a shock when a large cruiser cut across our bow suddenly making their way for a mooring at How Hill but apart from that, a lovely cruise and ended up at Paddy’s Lane. Only a couple of boats when we arrived but now completely full.  Plan to go back to the marina early tomorrow as we know grass cutting will be needed at home.  

807F3A93-F35B-4362-9CEB-F125D70D4919.jpeg

D11E92B5-BC7B-4AEA-83F4-BF861FE93914.jpeg

E4D1D144-9CB8-444B-BA1A-5B458B110EA7.jpeg

5DC6F4EF-E8C4-4790-BD3D-18734B7F8274.jpeg

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, BroadsExplorer said:

What lovely photos to highlight your holiday, personally I would let the grass grow and just stay out on the rivers :default_smile:

Would love to but need to get a pump out , fuel and water tomorrow then slightly dreading the journey back. We are going to assume the traffic won’t be fun. 

6 minutes ago, SwanR said:

You do like your end moorings. Wonderful! 

We do, always our preferred choice. Been spending a lot of the day sitting on the bow looking at the lovely view.  🙂

• Like 4

Finally back home. We went to Simpsons for a pumpout, water and fuel. As usual, excellent service and next time will be a free pumpout as we had filled up the loyalty card. £110 in total as we needed 60 litres of fuel. The traffic home was very heavy around Thickthorn and the Barton Mills roundabout. The journey usually takes us 1 hr 15, but today 2 hours which is what we expected. Fabulous long weekend.  Now to start the washing while Selsie cuts the grass. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

. . . . . . . . The traffic home was very heavy around Thickthorn and the Barton Mills roundabout. The journey usually takes us 1 hr 15, but today 2 hours which is what we expected. . . . . . . .

Looking at the new average speed and cctv cameras that have been installed on the A11 between Wymondham and Attleborough, I’d say that by the next time you go to your boat, roadworks will be in progress.  We checked for details and there are going to be various overnight closures north and southbound over the next couple of weeks and I read that there will be a contraflow in place, too.  The works are expected to take over a year to complete!

I don’t think we’ll be using the A11 until the jobs done.  We have two or three other routes to take that take a little extra time, but sitting in a contraflow is not good for my blood pressure!

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-work/east/a11-concrete-surface-repairs-and-maintenance/

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Think it will be a matter of experimenting with different routes but not looking forward to this all starting just as the holiday season properly kicks in :( 

To be fair, it wouldn’t really matter when they start it, if it’s planned to take a year.  I think a lot of folk will try to go through Wymondham on the old A11, but I fear that will be chaos, as will the advised diversion through Thetford, purely due to the weight of traffic.

It’ll be worth it when it’s done - that section of the A11 is appalling.

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

It’ll be worth it when it’s done - that section of the A11 is appalling.

I couldn’t agree more. I moan about it every trip. They’ve been just patching it for far too long.

Methinks we might be heading for Norfolk via Bury St Ed’s the next few trips.

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I couldn’t agree more. I moan about it every trip. They’ve been just patching it for far too long.

Methinks we might be heading for Norfolk via Bury St Ed’s the next few trips.

My dad never liked the A11 and always went via Royston, Haverhill, Bury St Edmunds, Diss.  I used to pop up for a couple of days and used the same route as there were some "fun" driving roads in the late 80's / early 90's.  One occasion there was a convoy of 3 cars at night exploring the err, higher sections of the speed limit, me in the middle, no idea who was in front.  When we reached Bury St Edmunds the car at the back lit up with blue lights so we stopped, he said that was fun lads but to reign it in for the rest of the trip!!!!!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NeilB said:

When we reached Bury St Edmunds the car at the back lit up with blue lights so we stopped, he said that was fun lads but to reign it in for the rest of the trip!!!!!

That was lucky.

My best school friend lives in Bury, so it will be tempting to stop off for a cuppa and a chat. 

Some lovely pictures, looks like you had a lovely time.

We saw you on Friday morning, we were one of the stream of Richardsons boats heading up the Ant, We had just come through Ludham bridge.

Luna looked lovely, but I am biased because I have a soft spot for a Skipper!

Cheers,

David

• Like 1