Bridges To Be Fixed!

JennyMorgan

Reading between the lines (no pun intended) to me this plan is all about the automatic level crossings and signalling. This year and part of last a great deal of work was done at Brundall. 

The plan to close the system for a month however is flawed, when ever you suspend a service customers have to find an alternative for the duration, some will not return, this is a pity because the rail system in Norfolk/Suffolk is very good and relatively well priced.

This year I think it was £7.60 for two return journeys from Brundall to Norwich.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I will miss the old crossing gates at Brundall. They are a time machine, everything the other side and including them is 50 years in the past, it looks and feels nothing like the rest of the area. 

Its only 5 minutes from my home but when I’m approaching the gates I feel instantly on holiday. It’s not perfect, but it’s perfect that way. If they change the gates to new automated ones it brings modern life 20ft closer to my boat! With all the talk of the Yare being bulldozed one day for a new whatever it would bring it 150ft nearer my boat!

• Like 3

It appears that since parking charges were introduced at Reedham & Brundall Stations their use has dropped and certainly the cars have not just moved to the free parking spaces nearby at Reedham  - If this has led to less passengers using the railway does not bode well for the future.  

The sad thing regarding the level crossing at Brundall, is that the cost of the new system would keep the 4 staff that cover the shifts on the crossing could be employed for the next 50 to 100 years at a fraction of the price that the new system will cost when completed.

A man on the gate knows that he can let the odd car through before closing the gate, a automatic system just flashes the warning lights and closed the barrier , it does not take into account that a low loader has bottomed out just over the crossing and is blocking the crossing, it does not happen often but it does happen from time to time.

There are over 90 trains per day that go through the crossing, we always say on turning into Station Road, will it be open or closed.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The sad thing regarding the level crossing at Brundall, is that the cost of the new system would keep the 4 staff that cover the shifts on the crossing could be employed for the next 50 to 100 years at a fraction of the price that the new system will cost when completed.

A man on the gate knows that he can let the odd car through before closing the gate, a automatic system just flashes the warning lights and closed the barrier , it does not take into account that a low loader has bottomed out just over the crossing and is blocking the crossing, it does not happen often but it does happen from time to time.

There are over 90 trains per day that go through the crossing, we always say on turning into Station Road, will it be open or closed.

Regards

Alan

The man/ women on the gates has waved me through a few times so agree with you there but there must be a system in place for the stuck low loader.

25 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I find it surprising that a level crossing replacement would be so expensive - staffing costs these days are huge.

Also, I believe that the crossing will be replaced by a full barrier crossing which will be monitored by CCTV - the signals protecting it will only be cleared when someone has looked at the screen and checked that nothing is blocking the crossing.

13 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The man/ women on the gates has waved me through a few times so agree with you there but there must be a system in place for the stuck low loader.

As in my previous post, I believe there will be.

But there are plenty of level crossings in the UK which don't have anything to prevent a train approaching with a vehicle stuck on the crossing - these are the ones with "half-barriers" that just cover the side of the road for traffic about to enter the crossing.

2 minutes ago, Coryton said:

But there are plenty of level crossings in the UK which don't have anything to prevent a train approaching with a vehicle stuck on the crossing - these are the ones with "half-barriers" that just cover the side of the road for traffic about to enter the crossing.

In the area where I used to live the crossing had these barriers however it didn`t stop a man killing himself when he sadly parked his car on the tracks late one night.

21 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I think these types you refer to were so designed to stop all normal traffic, but would allow emergency vehicles continued crossing,  but at the drivers discretion of course.

36 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think these types you refer to were so designed to stop all normal traffic, but would allow emergency vehicles continued crossing,  but at the drivers discretion of course.

The idea is that - since the barriers come down automatically when a train is approaching -  any vehicle on the crossing when they come down can make a safe exit.

For very good reason, emergency vehicles are not permitted to pass flashing red lights under any circumstances.

• Like 1