Do I Move Onto The Broads

Jimnothall

Hi.

I'm a new member with a boat based on the river Crouch in Essex. I'm not as young as I used to be and mooring up 5 ton in a 4 knot tide is no as easy as it was.  I am now looking to relocate to the broads but not sure where to start looking for a base. I'm looking to change my boat but not sure on bridge hight etc. I'm looking for something around 35 to 40 ft capable of going to sea and being ok to cruise the broads.   I was looking at something like a Fairline 36 turbo or princess 414 but don't want 500hp doing 4 knots all day.  I hope to move up maybe next year but would like some advice from people who have similar seagoing boats based on either northern or southern sections of the broads. What would my cruising range be with a boat with 12ft air draught etc. Will be greatfull for any advice..  Thanks..  jimnothall 

• Like 2

I would agree, Southern Broads, with that size Brundall would be the obvious choice or maybe the marina at Reedham or even Burgh Castle or if there are any moorings at St Olaves possibly??

There is Oulton Broad which would be handy for the sea but would necessitate navigating Somerleyton swing Bridge to access the rest of the network.

I think burgh castle have moorings available in an off the river marina, I think it's Jay you need to speak to at the fishermans inn for that.

12' should get under yarmouth and acle at the right tide but close so you can still do some of the northern rivers but better based south.

Big engines are ok on the rivers but do need a good run up from time to time.

Mine has 10'3" airdraft and lives at Brundall. I think at 12'+ you would do very well to get under Vauxhall bridges onto the northern rivers at gt Yarmouth may be a long wait for a sufficiently low tide to pass back.....

Personally I prefer the southern ones anyway and in the morning will be going out for a long weekend on the Yare and Waveney.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Welcome to the forum. As others mentioned you would likely be stuck on the southern broads and the bridges are temperamental.  A 414 will not get under vauxhall apart from very low spring tides (I'm sure the 414 was over 13ft though).  Brooms maybe an option though as they are low enough to get through at least vauxhall so will get you up north (Unless you get a hard top one.. huff)  I would kind of say that the Broads isn't quite the place for a larger sea going craft though certainly not resident there mainly due to the bridge heights and indeed the slow speeds (toll costs, BSC requirement etc).. it's best suited for a smaller type craft.

I think we have bridge heights here: https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/handy-information/bridge-heights/

It will be interesting to hear what you decide and how you get on. I really want to make the move one day sooner rather than later :) 

• Like 1

I've not had any issues at yarmouth haven bridge yet but I only get lifts half the time as I can get under on the lower half of the tide (I can fold to 8'8" if needed) so my view is slightly biased but generally I find good service through there.

I do think my 30' is a more useful size for a broads/sea boat though than the big gin palaces, it also means most of the time I get put on a private pontoon at southwold when the biggies have to raft on the old staging.

Why not split the difference and move to one of the "locked" marinas on The Orwell. You will have no tidal stream when mooring! I don' know them intimately but when I have been to Levington. Neptune and Ipswich we have never suffered "Lock Queuing" like at Chichester Yacht Basin or Sovereign Harbour and you are in the centre of East Coast Cruising. Heading North from The Broads the cruising grounds are pretty sparse and more importantly "Drying". So you would most likely be heading back to where you have come from a lot of the time.

Think a bit further outside the box!!! You have already decided that being at sea is harder work than it used to be, and whilst I know now you think you still want to keep that option open, will you still feel like that in,say, 5  years?

I jumped straight from the sea to the Broads, and know others who have also taken what seems to be a huge step, but on reflection further down the line, was the right one! PW has hinted at it, but my guess is once you are here , you may go to sea less, and less. It can be a bit of a hassle and whilst others love the S Broads, I am just the opposite! At the same time, this area is not the most exciting cruising area offshore - I always wonder had I done that, where the hell would I go apart from Southwold?

So miss that step out and buy a boat capable of broadening your cruising range to include the Northern Broads - I really doubt you will regret it - and buy a boat more suitable to the area. You will  change your ideas to that anyway in about 5 years or so, so just miss out that step!! As you get older you will not really miss the sea, but you still have your memories of what you once enjoyed.

You really will not miss the sea and can look forward to a more sedate life on the Broads - you can after all go out whatever the weather, or time of year and you are not that far away by road and can pick and choose your timing to suit more easily!!

• Like 3

Well that's me proved well and truly wrong then......

How about going for something smaller that can still do the salty stuff and get under the bridges when needed for the best of both worlds, my 30DS with twin 150hp's does pretty well and still gets under most of the bridges (except PH,wroxham,wayford, beccles old) which leaves plenty of inland cruising for when the weather is bad but will cruise at a comfy 16knots when the wind is kind, southwold is only 1.25 hours from yarmouth mouth, and 4.5 hours will get you from southwold to ramsgate, 3.5 hours to wells.

Salty sea dog and ditch crawling all in one package.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Helian said:

Mine has 10'3" airdraft and lives at Brundall. I think at 12'+ you would do very well to get under Vauxhall bridges onto the northern rivers at gt Yarmouth may be a long wait for a sufficiently low tide to pass back.....

Personally I prefer the southern ones anyway and in the morning will be going out for a long weekend on the Yare and Waveney.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

We had 8-4 under Vauxhall bridge an hour after low a couple of weeks ago. 

Thanks for everyone's input, it has given me food for thought.  I will be walking around the pontoons with a tape measure checking air deaught.  Maybe a broom is a better bet.  If anyone with a sea going cruiser can let me know there dimensions I would be greatfull.   

I think they`re right, forget the sea, get something that will allow you to cruise the entire Broads.  If 38ft is your size, then an Aquafibre Lowliner 38 is a good boat, with dual steering.

Whenever you decide, i`m sure others will advise you on their own preferences, but my advice would be to go for something that will go through ALL broads bridges.

You may see mine during the next week as we are thinking on going into burnham on crouch for a night or two, look out for a 30DS called Snowbird, I can get down to 8'8" within a couple of minutes by folding my radar arch and vhf's down but I don't find the 30DS the most spacious in the cabin.

You do see a blue haze behind many of the sea goers on the broads at river speeds but it generally clears as soon as the throttles are opened properly.

59 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You do see a blue haze behind many of the sea goers on the broads at river speeds but it generally clears as soon as the throttles are opened properly.

Was what Smoggy wrote but it went astray & try as I could I could not edit my previous post.

• 1 month later...

After considering some options like getting a purpose built broards cruiser, I was wondering if I should modify my present boat to comply with broads regulations and ship it to the southern area. If I remove my radar arch I have 9ft air draught which I think would be usable,  also I can remove  the 212hp sabers and fit a 4 cyl non turbo sabre or mermaid. The new engine will fit with minimal modifications. I could get a holding tank in with about 30/40 gal capacity. Where can I get a copy of BSS requirements for the broads,   I have found an 87 page copy covering all boats but would like a copy just related to motor cruisers,  mine is 30ft grp. I would like other peoples opinion on this matter,  if the broads move works out ok I would get rid and get something like a low liner with a bit more of an aft cockpit . All comments appreciated Thanks.