Late September On Benmore 2

Broads01

Started my second trip of the year yesterday, this time on Benmore 2 from Barnes Brinkcraft. It's my mum and me aboard this time (along with Rollie our Lhasa Apso) and we've opted for a week staying North, hopefully getting up to Coltishall and Dilham.

Saturday 21 September

The long journey was a little slower than usual, so by the time we arrived in Hoveton and got our shopping done it was 3-30 before we arrived at the boatyard. No matter, the sun was well and truly shining and I swapped to short sleeves before we were away. The river was thronging with day boats enjoying the sun, including one who made my reversing manoeuvre out of Barnes' Marina awkward by flipping his direction of travel more than once. We headed off downstream for a sunny cruise, passing Wroxham Broad and Salhouse as we'll leave them for later in the week. Horning was busy of course and Cockshoot Dyke was also full. We finished up at a lovely peaceful spot I've only moored at once before - St Benedicts Church (between Horning and Ranworth if you don't know it). 

• Like 10

Interesting. I’ve got an idea to try to get on that church mooring myself at some point. I take it that it’s ok to stay overnight there as opposed to stopping just to visit the church?

Hope you’re enjoying your second day out. Looking forward to reading where you go. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Interesting. I’ve got an idea to try to get on that church mooring myself at some point. I take it that it’s ok to stay overnight there as opposed to stopping just to visit the church?

Hope you’re enjoying your second day out. Looking forward to reading where you go. 

Certainly, Jean, you can stay overnight as we did. There's only space for two boats but it's often empty. I'll post photos when I'm on WiFi. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday 22nd September

We've been lucky to have another summery day when some of the rest of the country has had rain. We started the day with a doggy walk up to the church and just beyond. We left the mooring later and made the short chug to Ranworth. There were plenty of spaces at the Staithe and we made a short stop before continuing back to the Bure. We headed for Thurne because there was an open day at the Mill today. It was an enjoyable half hour or so listening to a volunteer talk about the workings of the mill and its history, including a demo of the sails turning. The mill works! 

After some lunch in the sunshine we set off again and went to Potter. There was space on the BA moorings where we stopped and went for ice cream. We decided to try Womack Dyke for a night mooring. The BA mooring was full so we opted for a wild spot on the rhond anchors. However, the ground was so hard it was like trying to push the anchors on to concrete so I had to give up and move on. We finished up back at Thurne. That means I shall have to sample some of their yummy gluten-free beer this evening but I'm sure I'll cope:default_biggrin:

• Like 7

Hi Simon

May have seen you at Potter this afternoon, almost opposite Woods yard.  We moored at the ‘quiet’ moorings a few hundred yards downriver from there.  We’re on Moonlight Shadow this week with our son and his family.  Heading for Womack in the morning, for supplies from Ludham village, so we’ll be on the lookout for you whilst we’re on the Northern rivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Hi Simon

May have seen you at Potter this afternoon, almost opposite Woods yard.  We moored at the ‘quiet’ moorings a few hundred yards downriver from there.  We’re on Moonlight Shadow this week with our son and his family.  Heading for Womack in the morning, for supplies from Ludham village, so we’ll be on the lookout for you whilst we’re on the Northern rivers.

Hi Malcom. Yes I spotted Moonlight Shadow moored but I didn't realise you were on it otherwise I'd have walked back to say hello. We're heading to South Walsham in the morning and then to the Ant so we may see you somewhere. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Hi Malcom. Yes I spotted Moonlight Shadow moored but I didn't realise you were on it otherwise I'd have walked back to say hello. We're heading to South Walsham in the morning and then to the Ant so we may see you somewhere. 

Hi Simon, whats the boat like for handling etc. I've booked Conway Bridge from Acle for next May identical boat

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . We're heading to South Walsham in the morning and then to the Ant so we may see you somewhere. . . . .

We’re heading up the Ant tomorrow, so there’s a good chance that we’ll bump into you (metaphorically speaking). 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We’re heading up the Ant tomorrow, so there’s a good chance that we’ll bump into you (metaphorically speaking). 

And indeed you did, Malcom, it was good to wave to you at How Hill. We passed you not long after where you were moored at Johnny Crowes Staithe. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Seagypsy said:

Hi Simon, whats the boat like for handling etc. I've booked Conway Bridge from Acle for next May identical boat

Hi, I really like the design having not had it before. Handling's not that great though - it could do with a bow thruster and it tends to drift when manoeuvring. 

Monday 23rd September

Well we seem to have got away with another mostly sunny day, once the cloud first thing moved away. We took a walk to Ramblers gift shop first thing, friendly service and a nice choice of stuff, especially if you like artwork. Back at the boat we headed off downstream, bound for South Walsham. I like getting water at Russell's boatyard because of the scenic location. After a quick top up there I fancied mudweighting but it was a little too windy so we stopped on Fleet Dyke instead. It was sheltered enough there to enjoy coffee in the sunshine. It was on up the Ant next. We wanted a stop at How Hill as mum has never done the Electric Eel trip. On the approach to How Hill, I was hooted at by a guy on a steam boat because I'd drifted too far to the centre for him to speed past - what a lovely man. Shortly after mooring, a Richardsons boat sped past and brushed our rubbing strake as he did so. I shouted for him to slow down, not realising at that point the boat was being towed by a tug boat - another lovely man! Mum enjoyed the Electric Eel (it was just her and the ranger aboard) whilst I took Rollie for a romp on the large grassy area in front of the house. After returning to the boat, Malcom (Mouldy) passed us on Moonlight Shadow and we recognised each other and waved. We set off a little later and chugged all the way to Dilham where I write this. The whole cruise was in warm sunshine, absolutely fantastic. On the Wayford-Dilham stretch (which I particularly love), we spotted a kingfisher who was kind enough to wait in a tree long enough for us to appreciate seeing him. We had food on board but I was tempted by the Cross Keys which looked very nice inside and the menu looks good also- one for a future visit. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

And indeed you did, Malcom, it was good to wave to you at How Hill. We passed you not long after where you were moored at Johnny Crowes Staithe. 

Probably our paths will cross again tomorrow.   We were planning to go further up the Ant, but Johnny Crowes Staithe was empty (the first time I've ever seen it like that) so we hastily made the decision to moor.  We'll be heading for Gayes Staithe in the morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Probably our paths will cross again tomorrow.   We were planning to go further up the Ant, but Johnny Crowes Staithe was empty (the first time I've ever seen it like that) so we hastily made the decision to moor.  We'll be heading for Gayes Staithe in the morning.

We're heading for Stalham to visit the Broads Museum and Tesco, then Neatishead or Gayes later. 

Tuesday 24th September

It felt like autumn had started with drizzle first thing turning to full-on rain by the time we reached Stalham. I last visited the Broads Museum 19 years ago and Mum had never been so it felt like an ideal rainy day option. It's improved a lot since I last visited and there's a lot to see spread across four buildings. We were able to camber inside a model of the living quarters of the wherry Albion, see hire industry memorabilia and see a complete timeline of Broads history. Having finished at the museum we made a visit to Tescos and then returned to our mooring at Richardsons. There were hardly any Richardsons boats on Swan Quay so I'm guessing they were almost fully booked this week. By the time we 'sailed' once more around 2pm the rain had cleared and we headed for Neatishead. The Ant and Barton Broad were very quiet so surely there would be a mooring at Neatishead early afternoon? Not a chance, ten boats in situ, looking like they'd been there for hours. We wanted to eat out and we opted for the Dog at Ludham Bridge. Fortunately there were spaces there arriving around 3-45. We managed to avoid rain all afternoon until after we'd stopped, (although we had a very wet walk back to the boat from the pub in the evening). Before we went out Rollie and I enjoyed a walk along the river bank down as far as the farm moorings below the bridge. We enjoyed the Dog and the gluten free options were really good. 

• Like 4

Wednesday 25th September

We rejoined the Bure turning right back towards Wroxham as our destination today wss Coltishall, Wroxham Bridge permitting. The weather was bright as we set off but by the time we reached Horning a heavy rain shower came our way and that proved to be the weather pattern for the day. We made a detour in to Hoveton Little Broad and had the place to ourselves as we mudweighted for a while. We continued to Salhouse to stretch our legs and there it was remarkably quiet also. We had a lovely spot on the extreme upstream end of the moorings, a beautiful lunchtime view. As we approached Wroxham later the bridge marker showed 6 foot 11 and I wasn't certain we'd be able to pass through. Barnes take their own boats through rather than subscribing to the bridge pilot. After water and pump out we were taken through the bridge with plenty of room to spare. The boat manual states 7 foot is needed for this boat but I think it's more like 6 foot 9 in reality. We enjoyed a very quiet cruise to Coltishall and we didn't see another boat at all until we were past Belaugh. At that point the helmsman coming downstream frantically shouted towards me "There's no spaces!" and gestured for me to turn around. I had no intention of doing so, so I just smiled and waved because I knew he was one of the many who believe the last mooring at Coltishall is at The Rising Sun. Well, no it isn't and whilst, sure enough, the moorings at the Common were full (save for a couple of the usual numptys who insist on occupying the centre of a double space) I knew Coltishall Lock would be OK which was our intended mooring all along. This time I had no issues with the rhond anchors. We had a peaceful walk and a peaceful evening. 

• Like 10

since according to the Broads Authority double alongside mooring is allowed at Coltishall common, and there is mooring for 46 boats, I very much doubt there was absolutely nowhere to moor there. I like hiring shorter boats as people who often moor up in the middle of a space big enough for two boats generally leave room for a little 25 footer to squeeze in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

save for a couple of the usual numptys who insist on occupying the centre of a double space

There are so, so many of those!! Nothing to stop you asking them to move up a bit though. Your plan was a good one though, going further on. No doubt a few people moored at the common were expecting you to turn round and depart again - bet they were surprised when you didn’t and disappeared upstream.

I was walking along the footpath at Fleet Dyke last week and noticed how busy it was at St Benet’s. A Herbert Woods boat was moored at the downstream end but had left two posts free at the very end. That space was occupied by two anglers, whether or not they were from the HW boat I have no idea but there were a lot of boats looking for moorings at the time. Very thoughtless.

• Like 4

Thursday 26th September

We had a fairly leisurely start to the day given that with low water at the bridge late in the day we wouldn't be able to pass through until afternoon. We set off just before 10 and chugged as far as Belaugh where we stopped at the church staithe. The sign there indicates "pilgrims path to the church" (not sure why it's called that) and we took a walk up the hill to the church and a little beyond. We set off again a short time later and arrived at the Hoveton moorings around lunch time. Clearance at the bridge at that point was only 6 foot 9 so we visited Roy's and relaxed on the boat for a while. By 3pm clearance was 6 foot 10 and this being close to what it had been when we passed through easily the day before I phoned Barnes and requested them to take us through. I was surprised at the response "I'm not sure you'll get through today, water levels have risen" and the confirmatory call back a short time later "can't get you through today, please phone in the morning". I was perplexed and to be honest, somewhat annoyed. The day before at 6 foot 11 we had been taken through very comfortably. Now it was 6 foot 10 and low water wasn't for another 3 hours and yet somehow now the bridge was impassable. I walked up to Barnes to politely communicate my confusion. They wouldn't budge: "If my guys say it won't go through I won't make them take you through." I pressed no further and walked away. Shortly before 5pm, I talked to the bridge pilot as he stepped off a boat he'd just brought through and asked him if water levels were higher today than yesterday. He replied that they were and I told him I was confused why Barnes were refusing. He said "It's 6 foot 11 now and I could take you through at 6 foot 9 but I'm not allowed to". We left the mooring to get water at the old Porter and Haylett yard across the river and whilst we filled up I made a decision - I would take us through myself. I had seen how much room we had to spare at 6 foot 11 yesterday, we had full water tanks and I had enough experience to get us up close to the bridge and abort if at all necessary. I could see exactly where the high point on the boat was and the shape of the screen in front of me and where it would conflict with the arch. Unlike other boatyards, Barnes don't insist you use a pilot service (and I would never go against the official pilot). To be continued.... 

• Like 5

Thursday 26th September continued

I approached the bridge slowly, concentrating hard to make our passage as central and perpendicular as I possibly could. I didn't dare throttle up to anything like the pace the pilots use but I was also conscious not to be over tentative and maintain enough momentum to steer effectively. As we approached, I could see we easily had enough clearance. I continued, straight as a die although I do say it myself, with absolutely acres of space. Before we passed through I had visions of being turned down again the following day and making do with a repeat visit to Coltishall so it felt really good to be through. We continued in the sunshine before stopping for the night at Salhouse Spit. It was a peaceful spot, us being one of only three boats on the long length of mooring opposite Hoveton Great Broad. 

• Like 9