Acle For Long Legged Birds!!

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Nothing to do with Cranes but I did see a very large brown bird of prey, with white underparts flying around Rockland Broad. It was considerably larger than a Marsh Harrier, so I wondered whether it was an Osprey, as I did read somewhere that they have been spotted on the Broads. 

Did anyone else read "underpants" on first viewing? No? Just me then... I'll get help...:default_coat:

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

Did anyone else read "underpants" on first viewing? No? Just me then... I'll get help...:default_coat:

Nope, I did too !

I was going to add that as SPEEDTRIPLE's posts can often be pants, I wasn't that surprised, but thought better of it. :default_biggrin:

Whoops, did I post that out loud? … sorry ST.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think anyone would ever say that that you did not see a crane near the Acle Straight, but more likely that you might have seen the stork, that is or was often seen, in that area and who lives in the Thrigby Wildlife Park just a mile or so away, and who is free flying! The two can be confused because of their similar size.

As the colony living up and around Hickling gets larger they are now seen more widely over the area but both birds are quite large and can be mistaken from a distance!!!!! However they remain very secretive birds and hide away on the ground but especially up near Hickling can be seen in the fields feeding, usually in a group. Sociable birds, most often seen in group!!!

(Cue for the joke of the day? )

• Like 1

Hard to believe it is nearly ten years ago but we were walking the marsh at Salthouse on a cold miserable August day and came across this bunch of fed up Spoonbills. Unfortunately I only had my compact camera and so the shots are not good.

P1020199.thumb.JPG.ff28ea260ac5c0100ef9bd1ed8fecab5.JPGP1020198.thumb.JPG.bfde78b174cff6975df446eaeb7ef0b3.JPG

In recent years we have had a lot of cranes (Kraniche) flying overhead - in Autumn they are often to be seen on the fields.
We thought we saw a group yesterday (high speed to the East due to the winds).

When flying one usually hears their call before seeing them (if at all).

I have not met any in the air - occasionally have a stork at my wingtip; more often a bussard.

• Like 1