River Yare

Bexs

I am hoping to pick your brains.

Do any moorings on the Yare have playgrounds/parks nearby?

Suitable for a 4 & 6 year old.

We normal stick to the River Waveney when going south. The children love the RWC playground and Pool and the Lido at Beccles, but next week the Pools will still be closed.

I thought I might use it as a good reason to explore the Yare more. But I don’t know it so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

If you are on a hire boat you could moor at Brooms and walk up Station Road, turn left, walk to the first Co-op and then up the road opposite (Links Rd?) and there is a very nice outside play area at the Memorial Hall.

If you are on your own boat you could moor at Church Fen and access Brundall that way, but you'd have to keep an eye on the children crossing the railway.

I don't know how you would check to see if any of the children's play areas are still locked down though.

32 minutes ago, webntweb said:

If you are on a hire boat you could moor at Brooms and walk up Station Road, turn left, walk to the first Co-op and then up the road opposite (Links Rd?) and there is a very nice outside play area at the Memorial Hall.

If you are on your own boat you could moor at Church Fen and access Brundall that way, but you'd have to keep an eye on the children crossing the railway.

I don't know how you would check to see if any of the children's play areas are still locked down though.

Brooms also have visitor moorings now. 

33 minutes ago, webntweb said:

don't know how you would check to see if any of the children's play areas are still locked down though.

Contact the parish council perhaps?

45 minutes ago, webntweb said:

If you walk up the hill from the Loddon moorings

For the life of me I can’t picture any hill at Loddon, did you mean Loddon?

25 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

In Loddon turn left as you leave the staithe a do you do indeed go uphill towards the chippy, not a big hill but a hill.

Ah, now I know where/what webntweb meant! Yes, it is a hill of sorts and the chippy is the Loddon Plaice (?) I think. Apologies to webntweb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

There is a small animal/play park a short walk from Reedham.

In Reedham there is a play area near the Village Hall but a quiet route is now signposted - quite a walk but not as far as Pettits & free. If at Oulton Broad there is Nicholas Everette Park next to the Yacht Station

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

If at Oulton Broad there is Nicholas Everette Park next to the Yacht Station

Closed at the moment for what I would consider to be fairly obvious Covid 19 hygiene reasons as probably will be other children's attractions, at least for now.

10 hours ago, Bexs said:

I believe play parks are allowed to open from the 4th July so fingers crossed.

I believe that you might be right, in part.  I also believe that there is a proviso that a stringent hygiene regime is put in place. Whether local parish councils will be in a position to meet that proviso is debatable and whether social distancing,  especially with young children, can be upheld has to be open to question. My local Africa Alive wild life park is reopening this weekend but all the play areas are to be kept closed where close contact can not be avoided. I suspect other parks will follow suit. It's for the good of local as well visiting children. Effectively restrictions are being eased, not removed. The threat of the virus remains very real. It is not a return to pre Covid 19 days, fingers crossed or not. The public have shown how irresponsible they can be on the Dorset Beaches, heaven forbid that similar happens in Norfolk.

No the public has decided the risks are worth it. I live near a lot of the younger folk and I’m also a key worker and soon It became clear this is an older, sometimes, much older illness. 
Deadly if you have other problems as well. 
They are watching the economy slide out of view with their jobs on the back of a disease that has a less than 3% death rate and almost no threat to them. 
Plus an unenforceable lock down that has now descended into farce, the NHS never collapsed and the only thing that has is the economy. 
I can tell you that the clap for carers ended weeks ago here and I personally know people who are in real trouble paying the mortgage as self employed got hit. 
I’m not saying they are right but I can understand risks, I work in high risk job and to borrow a line from Star Trek, The needs of the many Outweighs the needs of the few. 
We need to get this country moving again

• Like 1

With small children who have been stuck at home for over three months, the risk of playing on some swings and slides in an outdoor park are worth it.

Children need fresh air and exercise.

We can be responsible, by avoiding already busy parks, respect 2m distancing and LOTS of handwashing, and regular use of hand sanitiser whilst at the park.

Life does indeed need to get back to a ‘new normal’. For the benefit of people’s mental health as much as anything else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bexs said:

With small children who have been stuck at home for over three months, the risk of playing on some swings and slides in an outdoor park are worth it.

Children need fresh air and exercise.

We can be responsible, by avoiding already busy parks, respect 2m distancing and LOTS of handwashing, and regular use of hand sanitiser whilst at the park.

Life does indeed need to get back to a ‘new normal’. For the benefit of people’s mental health as much as anything else.

Oooooooooooh!  Another thread diverting away from the original post and heading for COVID-19 and controversy!

• Like 1

Like it or not this virus has changed  life touching every corner of our lives, perhaps for many years to come.It is the elephant in the room.It would  be lovely just to talk about only the good in the world, but sadly thats not so just now People are concerned  for now and more then likely for a considerable  time to come.If those of us visit the river and a pub tomorrow .There will be limits  as to what  we can do.

This is a lovely thread about a family holiday. Please don’t send it any further down the COVID-19 route. We’ve been allowed to continue that discussion elsewhere. 

I haven’t holidayed with children for many years but there’s some great suggestions given. If you moor at Rockland St Mary you can take some nice walks. Perhaps someone else will be able to confirm that. Is there a bird hide somewhere there?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Oooooooooooh!  Another thread diverting away from the original post and heading for COVID-19 and controversy!

Indeed.

Unfortuantly it seem to have gone that way.

Anyway, back on to my original post!

Parks for the children whist some attractions are still closed....

4 minutes ago, SwanR said:

This is a lovely thread about a family holiday. Please don’t send it any further down the COVID-19 route. We’ve been allowed to continue that discussion elsewhere. 

Agreed

17 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Like it or not this virus has changed  life touching every corner of our lives, perhaps for many years to come.It is the elephant in the room.It would  be lovely just to talk about only the good in the world, but sadly thats not so just now People are concerned  for now and more then likely for a considerable  time to come.If those of us visit the river and a pub tomorrow .There will be limits  as to what  we can do.

Get that, but it’s been done to death ( perhaps not the best terminology) on other threads.   We all know the dangers for our health individually, both physically and mentally and the economy as we slide into the inevitable recession.

The Broads are open for us to enjoy - celebrate that for now and keep the virus on the threads that already exist.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I haven’t holidayed with children for many years but there’s some great suggestions given. If you moor at Rockland St Mary you can take some nice walks. Perhaps someone else will be able to confirm that. Is there a bird hide somewhere there?

The bird hide is still there. If you moor in Rockland Short Dyke it is a quicker walk to it than mooring at Rockland Staithe. The moorings are also much nicer IMO.

• Like 2

Get that, but it’s been done to death ( perhaps not the best terminology) on other threads.   We all know the dangers for our health individually, both physically and mentally and the economy as we slide into the inevitable recession.
The Broads are open for us to enjoy - celebrate that for now and keep the virus on the threads that already exist.

I couldn’t agree more!

I was only responding to the two earlier comments/posts made by others...

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 1