Idiot Hirers - Edp Story

RumPunch

If they manage to find them, I hope they will take up the matter of the rubbish being dumped in the reeds too. Sadly all this sort of behaviour is too commonplace these days and I really have my doubts that anything further will happen. If the witnesses did contact the hire yard, hopefully something will have been said to the hirers.

1 minute ago, Jemaki said:

The youth of today....I've never done anything like that.... 😇

Nor me, but not with someone else’s property.....😇. I don’t remember rubbish dumping ever being the big problem it is today. 😡

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I don’t remember rubbish dumping ever being the big problem it is today. 😡

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they'd feel the need to dump stuff out the side of a day boat?! Bin bag and dump it at the yard when you get back!

Absolute clowns :default_smiley-angry047:

7 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Nor me, but not with someone else’s property.....😇. I don’t remember rubbish dumping ever being the big problem it is today. 😡

To be fair I didn't watch it all the way through as I had a bad connection...Dumping rubbish is NOT acceptable.

And these are the so-called environmentally aware young? After the scenes after the last weekend's parties and raves, I don't think the young give a hoot about the environment. Everything they don't want just gets dropped or thrown from car windows. 

34 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

I'd have been straight on the phone to the yard

To tell them what, exactly? 

What offence would you have them charged with? There was no traffic in the other direction and following traffic was clearly not involved. The video is entitled "Group nearly roll boat on river" but anyone who knows anything about boats can see that it was very well within the limits of its stability even with seven clowns on board. There is no obligation to wear lifejackets but you can bet they were provided on board.

I am not condoning this, of course but I have seen it happening all my life and it is one of the main reasons I have always avoided hiring out day boats. Same applied to my father.

Sorry folks, but the high season has started. The Broads are not exclusively private any more. Better get used to it.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

To tell them what, exactly? 

What offence would you have them charged with?

Take your pick ;-)

The master of a vessel shall navigate the vessel

(a) with care and caution; and

(b) at a speed and in a manner which:

(i) avoids injury and the likelihood of injury to the occupants of

other vessels;

(ii) avoids damage and the likelihood of damage to other

vessels, property, moorings or structures on the banks

comprised in the navigation area;

(iii) avoids giving reasonable grounds for annoyance to other

persons using the navigation area;

• Like 2

Let's ignore the likelihood here of this not being a group of people who should not be sharing the same enclosed space in close proximity.....

The boat was not in any danger at all, but this behaviour is reprehensible and, as Rumpunch points out, in contravention of the navigation bylaws. 

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

And my question is the same. What do you expect the boatyard to do about it?

If it were me, I would be on the phone immediately to instruct them to desist; on the phone to the BA to see if there was a ranger around to intercept and would be checking the boat with a fine-toothed comb before giving them their deposit back. Oh, and ensuring that we never hired to anybody named on the manifest again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

If it were me, I would be on the phone immediately to instruct them to desist; on the phone to the BA to see if there was a ranger around to intercept and would be checking the boat with a fine-toothed comb before giving them their deposit back. Oh, and ensuring that we never hired to anybody named on the manifest again. 

And have a word with them about dumping rubbish in the reeds...............

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It was something the witnesses mentioned.

Then it should be mentioned to the authorities and not to the boatyard.  That is my point. If you hire a car from Hertz, they are not responsible for how you behave in it, or even how you drive it.

We have had this same discussion so often on the forum, and here we go again!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Then it should be mentioned to the authorities and not to the boatyard.  That is my point. If you hire a car from Hertz, they are not responsible for how you behave in it, or even how you drive it.

Vaughan, do you not think that using the boat in this way is in direct contravention of the hire terms? The operator has an absolute need to know. I would consider intercepting these cretins and ejecting them at the nearest mooring point if I had the time. How dare they treat my property with such a lack of care. I have had people like this prosecuted: I will not stand for it and its one of the reasons I don't want to be involved any more. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

its one of the reasons I don't want to be involved any more. 

"You and me both" old chap. I am well retired, these days.  You just end up with hassle from every angle.  Despite trying to survive in a local business and trying to bring a bit of tourist revenue to the Broads at a time when it needs it more than ever.

• Like 2

Let us not forget that a woman lost her life trapped in the cabin of a Barnes Breakaway when too many of the crew were not distributed properly. I remember it happening and the lady's sister could have been easily lost as well.

There is a time and place for "Horseplay" and on the river is not one of them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Putting myself in the place of the witnesses, I don’t think I would want to be making more than one phone call. If a call had been made to the boatyard and the recklessness and thoughtlessness mentioned, the hirers could have been tackled on their return. I take your point Vaughan on the car hire aspect but the Broads is a unique entity and I think we all have a responsibility to keep it enjoyable for everyone. 

• Like 1

To be honest, spending the money on a prosecution is no way to proceed either!

The costs of even bringing a speeding prosecution have been mentioned previously and I seem to recall it well in excess of £1000 - all for what? Any guess what the fine might be? Possibly not even a fine but a community order - is that the best way to spend toll money?

In principle I tend to agree but it would do nothing to dissuade others so in reality why bother with that cost when all you would get is at best, a slap.